2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.8/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

worst vehicle I ever bought

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"This is the worst vehicle I've ever purchased including used cars. It does perform and drive well for a mini van and the motor and transmission seem to be OK, its very comfortable and well desgned on the interior. However, it just died while driving tonight and we drifted off the road and it started again. The drivers site window doesn't work. It's had many recalls and I've spent a lot of time at the dealership waiting for the repairs. The belts already squeak like a 10 year old car. The fuel economy is not good and the electronics in general seem to be faulty. I think that possibly the recalls may be linked to other issues we are having. The brakes wore out very quickly. The dealer is fixing all of it since it only has 25,000 miles on it but once that warranty runs out I'm afraid its going to cost us a fortune to keep running. If you are thinking about buying one of these be sure to search the web for reviews / recalls and comments. I do not reccomend this Crysler product. If you want a Volkswagon buy some other model and expect the typical German auto issues after about 80,000 miles."

Dressing up a Chrysler (badly)

By on Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"My wife and I bought a Routan six months ago and absolutely hate the car. The second we drove it off the lot it began rattling and breaking (interior and exterior plastic pieces popping off). The car is literally the worst car that I have ever owned. It is a bad job at dressing up a chrysler town and country. The hoods on all Routans are not aligned right and if you take a look at any one, one side rests higher than the other at the hinges....Volkswagen admits the flaw, but has no fix. I have put my knee through the back of the rear folding seat while it is down and I lean in to buckle my son in his carseat 3 separate times. Volkswagen admits the construction is weak, but refuses to fix the seat any more if it occurs. I am unable to put my children in the car now...for fear of breaking the car. It is a weak piece of junk that I wouldn't recommend to anybody for any reason. If you own one, I feel for you."

The Volkswagen Routan is an excellent minivan

By on Saturday, April 4, 2009

"The Volkswagen Routan is our first minivan purchase and we are very happy with it so far. It drives nicely in town and on the highway. The cabin is quiet and roomy enough for 3 adults and 3 kids. All of the seats, including the third row are very comfortable. There is plenty of storage for luggage in the back and in the very roomy under the floor storage in the second row. Driver seat controls are well placed. The hard drive is great for copying songs, books on tape, etc and leaving all of the bulky cases at home. The entertainment system with two screens is great for allowing second and third row passengers to watch different movies at the same time. The driver can also listen to something different while the two movies are playing. I like the permanent middle console better than some of the folding kinds in the competitor minivans, as you can put things in them and not have to remove them each time you want to go to the back of the van. It is great for large families and a lot of fun to drive. I fell in love with it when I took it out for the test drive and have been very happy with it ever since I bought it. As far as I know, the Routan was designed and built with the help of Chrysler, so you will see a lot of similarities, which in my opinion is a good thing as the Town & Country is a well designed and popular minivan. I think the Routan feels like a better driving, more stylish Town & Country with unbelievable financing and warranty options from Volkswagen and the support of a very stable company."

Not your typical minivan!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great features w/o the price,"

Cons: "towing capacity"

"We have loved this van. As a man who drives it a lot, I love how it handles more like a semi-sports car than a loose town-car. I've heard some people say it's not as smooth riding but I don't know what they're talking about. It's got very responsive steering and an engine to back it up. We've made several long road trips in it and it travels well. We put about 20k miles a year on our vehicles and it has stood up to the wear and tear. In the VW, you get many of the "upgrades" but without the premium price. I personally like the sporty changes that VW put on the van. The spoiler, different nose, and interior designs are great. All the seats are VERY comfortable. The leather has been extremely durable and I would highly recommend it. There's also a lot of great extra storage space in the floor due to the design from Chrysler but without the stow-and-go seats. We have one with a dual entertainment system and wireless headphones. Our kids love it. If we wanted to, our kids can be watching 2 different movies on the headphones and we can listen to iPod or something up front on a long trip. It also has an AUX input by the rear row that you can plug a game console or iPod into and feed into speakers and/or video screen(s). The touchscreen entertainment system has been great. We love the built in hard drive for loading CD's onto it. We did have an issue with an engine valve spring but it was covered under the warranty. The VW dealership has a technician who is specially trained to work on the Routan. I did wish that it had a bit more towing capacity but even the other vans can't tow that much. One other thing, if you want to use the LATCH in the 3rd row, it will fit 2 car seats and not leave any room left for a third person. We've gone ahead and just used the seat belts and it hasn't been a problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat."

BIG PROBLEM!!

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"This is the 2nd highest priced vehicle I purchased with the most problems of any. Front brakes at 13000 miles, front wheel bearings (both) at 15000 miles, rear brakes at 21000 miles, Back and forth to Dealer many times. lots of wasted time and miles!! Now I have corrosion on front edge of hood-not even 2 years old!! Spoke with VW Customer care many many times about problems and they like to say "I sorry" but really don't care! With all the problems, having hard time to get rid of-not worth what is owed on it. DO NOT BUY ONE !!!!!!!"

I wish I never got this car!!

By on Thursday, September 10, 2009

"We bought our Routan SEL in January of 2009 and were very excited to get our first minivan and our first VW. Since then, here is the list of problems I have had: third-row seat completely broke and would not fold down (we got that replaced with a new one), our right side power door has broken and the door could not be used...twice (both time the mechanism had to be replaced), the power steering has been messed up since we got it (it is in the shop now) and the rear tail light went out (I know this is trivial, but it should not be going out in a brand new car..we replaced this ourselves). I have to say, this car has been a pain in the butt to own. I will never purchase a VW again. :("

Mostly it is amazing!!!

By on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pros: "Love Just about everything!!!"

Cons: "BRAKES AND ROTORS!!! Replace them every 16,000 :("

"I love this car. A few issues that I wish I could change: 1) Hard for tall people to drive for long periods of time. My husband is 6'2 and gets uncomfortable driving after about an hour because the seat doesn't go back far enough. For me at 5'10 it is perfect. 2)Hard to get to the back seats (3rd row) when 2nd row seats are in place. The 2nd row seats do not move forward far enough to push them forward and crawl behind them and they sit too close to the front seats to move around the front of them. We have resorted to crawling through the back of the car to be able to get into the 3rd row, but then you can't have both parts of the 3rd row up and can't fill the back with stuff. 3) the BIGGEST ISSUE - the brakes and Rotors. We have had the car for less than 2 years. We have had both front and back rotors and brake pads replaced now 3 times. 1st - after 3 months of owning the car, 10 months later and now 7 months. Each time was approxametley 16,000 miles of wear and tear on the van. And Volkswagon is saying it's how we drive, must be because we drive up and down hills alot and use the brakes excessivley. We live in the desert with no hills around us for about 90 miles. This is not a problem with how I drive my car. Other than the brakes though, I can live with the other 2 complaints. They are more about convience. Brakes and Rotors every 16,000 that cost almost $400 each time....NOT OK!!!"

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"We bought our Routan in March 09 and now are sorry we did. First of all we got about 9 thousand off because the dealership were trying to move as many as they could before the end of the month. In that we can't complain. When we picked it up the thermostat on dash was not working properly so we had to come back. The interior is great all the perks are very nice, the leather seats are comfortable. Not much leg room in second seats unless you pull the front up more. Love the rear powerdoor. Very handy with groceries or when its raining and you want to get things in quickly. Our biggest complaint is the gas mileage. We had a Sienna before which got about 16 city. That was bad enough. When we considered another van we knew we wouldn't get great mileage but we thought maybe 16 or a little better. No we get anywhere from 12 to 15 shocking for a VW. Too bad. This our first experience with VW and were looking forward to it but now we wish we had kept our Sienna. The change oil message has already come on at 2500miles even though they told us to change the oil every 6,000. Good thing VW has included this with the car."

Sporty Ride and Pretty Efficient on Gas

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Up to 30 mpg on Highway, Good Acceleration"

Cons: "Transmission, Water in Headlights, Center console"

"The VW Routan won't win car of the year, but compared to its Chrysler cousin it is Superior. The ride is comfortable yet firm and sporty enough to take corners at reasonable speeds without swaying about like most minivans. The interior styling is excellent and free of rattles and creaks, but the center console is short and unstable. Exterior styling is very good and pleasing to the eye unlike the box on wheels styling of the town and country. The engine provides great acceleration and very surprising fuel economy on minimal load. I can get up to 30 mpg on the highway driving like grandma or 25 mpg at 65 mph. Quality is as expected with Chrysler engineering. The headlights retain rain water and the brakes are already squealing at 2900 mile on the odometer. The Routan handles good in medium snow and ice with careful driving. And don't expect to get good gas mileage with a full load and luggage with any vehicle. The transmission needs fine tuning as thumps are quite evident with shifts especially using ECO mode in the city with stop n go traffic which produces no improvement in gas mileage. Eco mode does however help in highway driving mpg, but increases violent shifts when slowing down. The Routan is not a bad choice for a minivan, but if you want to avoid enormous depreciation, shop Honda or Toyota."

needs some work on transmission

By on Thursday, June 25, 2009

"i have had this van for about 6 weeks,and it is in the 11-12 mile range for gas mpg. the transmission on turns and stops slams in to gears. the seats has wings on the sides that feel hard on you bottom.if i had the choice i would get rid of this boat."

VW Vorry Wagon

By on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pros: "nice ride. comfortable seating"

Cons: "too many problems for a new car that the dealership cant or wont correct"

"The routan shut down at 50 miles, because the cam sensor went out. The wheel alignment was off to the right. The dealership told me, after bringing it in 2 days in a row, that this was normal as the wheel alignment registered good on their computer readings. VOlkswagon advocate supported dealership findings against my word. I was referred to a wheel alignment specialist who fixed the problem The engine mount needed to be adjusted as well as the casters, and he rotated the tires. The gas mileage is horrible. Getting about 13 mpg combined hwy and city. The volkswagon customer care is very polite but will back what their mechanics at dealserhship, whose computer readings had the car doing 15 mpg, which is stll low. The manufacture has it at 20. My question to all of you is, I have heard many mention that the Routan is a lemon. Has anyone been successful at actually using the lemon law to get rid of car?"

AVOID AT ALL COST!!!

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

"Here are the issues in the last 2 years and a half: Out of the blue, the car won't start, Elecrtic doors won't close, driver windowd won't work, ac blower failed, AC hose defective, stereo system (DVD, Satelite etc) DIED!, breaks make the car jumpy, rotors also defective... I have a 42 months lease and I am affraid to go pass the 36000 miles... I know I am going to have to pay fosomething my self... Called VW tech support and they stated "I am sorry Sir. but if we replace your parts we are doing our part". With this issues, the scheduled service and the recalls, the car won't get out of the shop.... AVOID AT ALL COST!"

Best Minivan on the Road

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great family vehicle, roomy, spacious, quiet"

"I cannot say enough great things about this car. I've been excited by this car since our test drive two years ago and it still does not disappoint. Built for families but with a stylish flair, it is comfy and fun to drive. Besides, the complimentary services every 6,000 miles is amazing. Overall, I'd buy it again - and again."

sel premium 4d

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"bought the car new. love it. very comfortable and have not had any problems. went on two long trips and the ride is great. gas mileage averaged about 23 highway. kids love the tv's can watch 2 different videos at the same time. we bought an extra set of headset. so much in this van still learning everything. looks like a keeper. we also added the tow package and running boards. makes the car standout. Hope to see you fellow VW fans on the road. Make sure you waive."

Great all around.

By on Friday, February 18, 2011

"We have enjoyed this van more than any car we have owned. It drives smooth and quiet. Within the first 3 weeks of owning we drove it from Salt Lake to Disneyland and back, with my wife and I and our high school and college aged children. We had a great time and found the ride very enjoyable. This van has all the options one could want. Couldn't ask for more."

Good For the Long Haul

By on Saturday, June 19, 2010

"This minivan does not even have another in its class. While the exterior design takes some getting used to, and there are some cheesy details from its cousin Town & Country to overcome (whip antenna, dashboard displays), every little road trip feels like First Class. The room is enough to haul furniture easily, take 7 people out to a ball game, make an 8 hour trip feel like a pleasant Sunday drive. The SEL delivers so much power and response, that you forget its a van. Its a pricey van, but after a few months of ownership you begin feeling your ROI. Highly recommended if you want a stylish, safe van that's easy to haul anyone or anything. It's the best of 2 worlds - the engine and powertrain from the Chrysler minivan inventors, and the handling and styling from Volkswagen. Just plan on keeping this vehicle for many years because you'll want to, and it seems build to last."

Do not buy this vehicle.

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "DVD system"

Cons: "New pads every nine months, shoddy transmission"

"I bought this van because I have only ever driven VWs. This is not a VW, however, this is a Chrysler, a fact I found out later. Roters were replaced almost immediately, calipers bad almost immediately and I am now at the point where I have to replace pads at least once every ten months and the steering wheel violently shakes whenever the brake is pressed. On two separate occasions my brakes actually caught fire. Transmission jumps every time the car switches gears. I have had it just can't wait to get rid of it."

This vehicle is not worth the VW hype!

By on Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pros: "roomy, floor storage, lots of cup holders"

Cons: "unreliable, expensive, gas hog, customer service"

"We bought this vehicle used with one previous owner. In the 2 years we have owned it the electrical system in the driver side sliding door slowly failed one piece at a time. Every time we took it in we were told there is nothing wrong with it. The door now no longer functions at all electronically. Not even the window works. Gas milage sucks. Tires have had a slow leak from day 1. Parts are rediculously expensive and heavan forbid you try to use a non-VW part. If you do, it won't work properly. Overall, I will never own one of these vehicles again and will probably just go back to my trusty Fords."

WOW BEST MPG .... I am SAVING $250 PLUS A MONTH

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "WOW GREAT MPG"

Cons: "WISH I GOT THE SUNROOF"

"Almost 30 mpg Highway 25 avg. Better than the sticker says. I am not a hyper Miler either! The extra money in the pocket means alot..... Great handeling, tight; and the kids love the Captain Chairs. I DO NOT MISS MY "AWD VAN" WHICH WAS ALWAYS IN THE SHOP OR GAS STATION !!!!!!!!!"

Questionable for Name

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful Car, Roomy"

Cons: "Brakes, Signal Lights, Eats Batteries"

"Not a fan of Chrysler and Chrysler is the manufacturer of the Volkswagen Routan. I think it would be a better car if they avoided Chrysler. My car is a 2009. I need over $1000 dollars in brake work. Replaced tires last November; this was $800. Working on my third battery. Need body repair on back passenger side panel. Almost like piece this was not connected properly or too loosely. About a year after purchase - car had to be towed to dealer. It just shut down while driving, could not remove key from ignition nor let the windows up."

had a number of engine light issues

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "rides ok"

Cons: "quality issues"

"The vehicle rides nicely, but is not necessarily reliable. The quality of this vehicle is not great. VW is not very competent to resolve issues with this vehicle since it is made by Chrysler. Overall it has been a disappoiting experience, and I do not recommend this vehicle!"

Needs alot of improvement

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

"I purchased the routan in may 2009 and since then I have had the van in the shop at least 10 times for brakes, rotors, seat stuffing falling out, glued on seat adjustment handles falling off, seat belt buckle replacements, seat cover replacements, with numerous recalls. I believe I have a lemon!"

The Best Minivan Out There!

By on Sunday, September 5, 2010

"After test-driving every minivan available today, this family of 4 couldn't be happier!! We're familiar with a smooth ride since we traded in our Volvo for the Routan; it drives just as well. All the little details VW added make this van worth every single hard-earned penny. The dealer incentive was $5K off, so we feel we got a smokin' hot deal. The Rear Entertainment System (RES) will be great for the long road trips we like to take."

i'm a convert

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"We have had this minivan for nearly a year and i am a convert. I swore I'd never own a minivan because I love sporty cars. After baby #3, I didn't have many options. So I grudgingly decided to look at the Routan. Absolutely love it!!! We are a big road trip family and the Routan has been great to drive and makes those long rides even better for all of us. The kids love the DVD system and all the cubbies for their stuff. Love, love, love my Routan."

Never again

By on Friday, October 30, 2009

"We bought our Routan two months ago and have had nothing but problems. Less than a week after we bought it the front turn signal assembly went out. The transmission shifts very hard and we are taking it back to the dealer again tomorrow for a district tech. to take a look at it per customer care. After sitting at the dealer for a week last time they admit the trans. isn't shifting properly but they don't know what to do to fix it. The gas mileage is horrible. Most of my commute is freeway driving yet I get 16 mpg at best. The "change oil" message popped up at 2,500 miles so that service already had to be done. The brakes squeak really bad and the dealer told me to drive it that way until 6,000 miles and then they will replace the pads. The dealer keeps telling us that the vehicle doesn't start to break in until 10,000 miles and then we will see it performing better. I don't know that my patience will let me keep this van until then because I have been to the service department so many times that they already know me by name. I really liked the look of this minivan and the features but I will definitely NEVER buy a Volkswagen again!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals