2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 113 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.3/10
    6.8/10
    7.3/10
    7.3/10

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

We needed a van. VW had vans.

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Features, price, engine mileage"

Cons: "Tranny, tranny, tranny."

"With VW closing out the Routan in 2012 I had an opportunity for a very good deal. An SE with Nav and RSE and 3 year maint for $23k. I couldn't find a 2010 lower level Toyota Sienna with under 40k miles for that price. I didn't expect a Toyota. I had one on an extended rental and it was nice. But neither did I want to pay Toyota money. The engine in the VW is great. Very powerful and surprising mileage. On a trip from the Central coast to the LA area (5 hrs) the van got 27 MPG and that was average 75 mph +. The transmission on the other hand gets easily confused. On the highway it's fine. If you drive it like a grandma easing on the throttle trying to save gas it's pretty smooth. But try to pass or push the throttle a little to make it shift down good luck. It doesn't want to stay in the lower gear. It stutters on shift changes. It will shift up so that it's at 1200 RPM at 45 miles per hour going up hill. There should be a patch for this. Wife loves it. She drives like a grandma saving gas."

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

THEY JUST WANT YOUR $$$$$$

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "Everything -pricy,bad sevice,bad brakes,bad doors"

"I bought my van new $37000 in '09 I have had MANY problems to many to list. The main 2 are first the rear brake the caliper frame was faulty causing rotor and pad to be shot that was '11 and even though they knew frame was faulty was not replaced now '13 it wore out my brake and rotor again and now there saying it was from the caliper bracket so they wont do anything about it. (its the same part)but HAHA my warranty is over I think thats what they were waiting for so they could get more money. Second my side door on passenger side wasn't working properly and there was a recall but they only did that side and now my other side is acting up and they say well the recall is outdated so they probably wont cover it. DO NOT BUY A VW OF ANY MODEL YOU WILL WISH YOU DIDNT."

Would'nt do it again, unless I really had too!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Great use of space. Quiet on good roads."

Cons: "A mix of Chrysler and VW? Not the best grounds...."

"I always consider the reliability if a vehicle by how much time it spends at a dealership in a twelve month period. More importantly, how good a service department is at resolving issues. Firstly, brakes on this vehicle were truly not engineered well. Just view the extensive complaints about warped rotors? I normally put these comments down to bad driving habits, but not in this case. My vehicle has never been driven with more than three people in, never loaded and still I've replaced three sets of front rotors within 30k miles. Half a dozen repair attempts at fixing the side rattling doors, never resolved. Chrsyler modded their vans while VW never did the same. Noisy transmission, that bumps and drops between gears, something that a VW tech considers normal. Numerous failed window motors, buttons and regulators. Poor city MPG. Rust appearing on upper internal areas of door. Vehicle has spent 10 weeks at dealer within the last 60... I'd truly be surprised, if this vehicle makes it to a 100k, without a major issue! Such a shame, considering my previous Odessey clocked up 180k before any real concerns."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals