2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.1

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

6.5/10
    6.3/10
    6.3/10
    6.8/10
    7.3/10
    7.4/10

This vehicle is not worth the VW hype!

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "roomy, floor storage, lots of cup holders"

Cons: "unreliable, expensive, gas hog, customer service"

"We bought this vehicle used with one previous owner. In the 2 years we have owned it the electrical system in the driver side sliding door slowly failed one piece at a time. Every time we took it in we were told there is nothing wrong with it. The door now no longer functions at all electronically. Not even the window works. Gas milage sucks. Tires have had a slow leak from day 1. Parts are rediculously expensive and heavan forbid you try to use a non-VW part. If you do, it won't work properly. Overall, I will never own one of these vehicles again and will probably just go back to my trusty Fords."

Questionable for Name

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful Car, Roomy"

Cons: "Brakes, Signal Lights, Eats Batteries"

"Not a fan of Chrysler and Chrysler is the manufacturer of the Volkswagen Routan. I think it would be a better car if they avoided Chrysler. My car is a 2009. I need over $1000 dollars in brake work. Replaced tires last November; this was $800. Working on my third battery. Need body repair on back passenger side panel. Almost like piece this was not connected properly or too loosely. About a year after purchase - car had to be towed to dealer. It just shut down while driving, could not remove key from ignition nor let the windows up."

Needs alot of improvement

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

"I purchased the routan in may 2009 and since then I have had the van in the shop at least 10 times for brakes, rotors, seat stuffing falling out, glued on seat adjustment handles falling off, seat belt buckle replacements, seat cover replacements, with numerous recalls. I believe I have a lemon!"

Never again

By on Friday, October 30, 2009

"We bought our Routan two months ago and have had nothing but problems. Less than a week after we bought it the front turn signal assembly went out. The transmission shifts very hard and we are taking it back to the dealer again tomorrow for a district tech. to take a look at it per customer care. After sitting at the dealer for a week last time they admit the trans. isn't shifting properly but they don't know what to do to fix it. The gas mileage is horrible. Most of my commute is freeway driving yet I get 16 mpg at best. The "change oil" message popped up at 2,500 miles so that service already had to be done. The brakes squeak really bad and the dealer told me to drive it that way until 6,000 miles and then they will replace the pads. The dealer keeps telling us that the vehicle doesn't start to break in until 10,000 miles and then we will see it performing better. I don't know that my patience will let me keep this van until then because I have been to the service department so many times that they already know me by name. I really liked the look of this minivan and the features but I will definitely NEVER buy a Volkswagen again!"

might be the reason why VW stop making their van

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

"does not get around good in snow, bad traction on wet streets, factor tire sensor goes out a lot, caused a blow out while traveling. Lots of great storage"

smart interior and very reliable

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "LOVED under 2nd row storage! Always snacktime!"

Cons: "would like a softer drivers seat"

"i bought this, my first, van because i was taking on a long commute carpool for school. 5 teenage kids, 2+ bags ea, @100 miles, 3-4 days a week. did not disappoint! reliable, stable (like in bad weather)and comfortable for me and kids."

worst vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Reason: too many problems!

Pros: "very nice looking..."

Cons: "not realiable car...."

"The car had too many electrical problems, it consumed too much gas, the interior was made with cheap plastic, the shift gear timing was off all the time. Bad choice - DO NOT BUY IT!"

Not worth all the trouble it causes

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Lots of Cup holders !!"

Cons: "No Quality !!!!"

"I have 2009 that I bought new. The Breaks have been replaced / resurfaced 8 times now in 30k miles. The Headliner fell down. The transmission had issues. Van shut off while driving down the road.. The doors stick.. The Radio failed 3 times. The list goes on and on..... Thought I was doing the right thing to keep my family safe now I am afraid to put them in the thing,"

worse vehicle/lemon ever

By on Friday, April 02, 2010

"Purchased a new 2009 Routon S, and it was the worse mistake of my life. Reached lemon status at less than 5,000 miles. Window motors, trans seal, headlamp held water, and bumper cover started to come off. The dealership (BKVW) could not seem to perform some standard maint correctly either (trans). Had to hire an attorney to resolve the issues because they refused to help me after the vehicle reached lemon status. Vehicle does have great headlamps, for seeing purposes, when they do not have water in them, and good brakes. The standard CD system is good also. However, overall, I would not buy another VW EVER. The worse overall vehicle experience, with the dealer and manufacturer, that I have ever had. Run away as fast as you can!"

Not what I expected

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Purchased this vehicle over the Toyota Sienna for better gas mileage and was told it had a regular size spare. Gas mileage is poor, less than sticker says and had a flat on a trip and it took 5 hours to find a tire after finding out the spare was an emergency spare. The engine is noisy and the seats are not comfortable on a long trip. The shocks are terrible. On a bad hole, it is like metal to metal. Dealer says they are fine and car is not broken in after 11000 miles. Would not buy another VW."

Wish I hadn't bought it

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride"

Cons: "poor quality vehicle"

"A comfortable riding van, but that's the only good thing about it. It's underpowered and won't hold speed on a hill with the cruise on. Door remotes won't work unless within 10 feet or so. Uconnect, won't. Dealer wouldn't even attempt a warranty repair, said "all of them are like that". Transmission is noisy, dealer won't look at it until it fails. Driver's door electric window switch won't work. TPMS light on constantly, not a warranty issue according to dealer."

Awesome MPG, comfortable 2nd row

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Sunroof, Leather seats, MPG, Looks"

"Awesome van with great MPG and power, comfortable seats, much better interior then the T&C."

had a number of engine light issues

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "rides ok"

Cons: "quality issues"

"The vehicle rides nicely, but is not necessarily reliable. The quality of this vehicle is not great. VW is not very competent to resolve issues with this vehicle since it is made by Chrysler. Overall it has been a disappoiting experience, and I do not recommend this vehicle!"

Please don't buy this car

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

Pros: "Cheap lease compared to other minivans."

Cons: "Cheap van compared to others in quality."

"I have had for one year of 3 year lease, and I am so glad I didn't buy it. After 3 months, the rattles and cheap interior are starting to come lose from the factory. I leased this because the Honda and Nissan were too expensive, and they were doing great deals, now I know why. Interior is ok, and sliding doors are as good as any other. Rear DVD system is nice, but once you drop the screen, the drivers view out the back is completely blocked. The quality of this is exactly what I have come to expect from a Chrysler product, the disappointing thing is that VW threw some lipstick and purfume on it and called it a Routan. I have had 2 other VW's in 3 year leases, and both of them held their values so well, I sold them after 14 months and made money. This piece of junk lost more value than I owe the day I drove it off the lot, and I expect to be saddled with it for all 3 years. Disappointed in VW for doing this van, and more disappointed in me for not going with the Honda or Nissan minivans. This van should be avoided at all cost, especially to purchase."

Best oveall value

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"Handles and drives like a European car. Good fit and finish, no-charge maintenance. Overall best value for the dollar."

Best looking van

By on Monday, April 12, 2010

"Comfortable, fun to drive (with 4.0L engine that is,) best looking minivan on the market both inside and out. Part Chrysler? So what--get over it--this is a nice machine."

Vehicl is riddled with issues--always at the dealr

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "Great look. Good Power. Comfortable"

Cons: "A lot of body roll. Electronics dont always work"

"I bought the vehicle new in 2010. Since delivery it has been acting up. Auto doors don't open/close half the time, they got replaced at 20k miles. Electronics are always malfunctioning: nav freezes up, rear entertainment dvd systems work half the time, radio shuts of randomly. The vehicle has had 2 modules go and continues to run odd. I have hated this car since the first year and the value does not hold up as i have been unable to trade out of it. I knew it was a chrystler product, but still... this has been horrible."

I really like the Routan

By on Sunday, February 03, 2013

Pros: "Great price, nice ride, no problems"

Cons: "No longer produced so I can't recommend it"

"I admit that I bought the Routan because of the whopping discount. The thought was I could put up with most anything with the savings. After 15 months I really like the van. It looks great, rides nice, has lots of power, handles well, and has a huge amount of cargo space. Unfortunately the Routan is an orphan - it's been discontinued but since it was produced by Chrysler which is making plenty of the Routan siblings (T&C, Grand Caravan, Ram Van), I'm not too concerned."

Would'nt do it again, unless I really had too!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Great use of space. Quiet on good roads."

Cons: "A mix of Chrysler and VW? Not the best grounds...."

"I always consider the reliability if a vehicle by how much time it spends at a dealership in a twelve month period. More importantly, how good a service department is at resolving issues. Firstly, brakes on this vehicle were truly not engineered well. Just view the extensive complaints about warped rotors? I normally put these comments down to bad driving habits, but not in this case. My vehicle has never been driven with more than three people in, never loaded and still I've replaced three sets of front rotors within 30k miles. Half a dozen repair attempts at fixing the side rattling doors, never resolved. Chrsyler modded their vans while VW never did the same. Noisy transmission, that bumps and drops between gears, something that a VW tech considers normal. Numerous failed window motors, buttons and regulators. Poor city MPG. Rust appearing on upper internal areas of door. Vehicle has spent 10 weeks at dealer within the last 60... I'd truly be surprised, if this vehicle makes it to a 100k, without a major issue! Such a shame, considering my previous Odessey clocked up 180k before any real concerns."

The worst mistake I ever made

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "There aren't enough pros to make up for the issues"

Cons: "Everything...In the shop more than out"

"Please do no buy this minivan!!!! I have had nothing but problems with it and Volkeswagon wont help. AT 14,000 and just 2 years old I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors(Its a lease) and because it was over the 12mo 12k miles warranty wouldn't cover it. This was my 4th VW (2 passat, 1 Tureg before) and I will never be back to Volkswagon. Over the holiday weekend my battery blew up and left me stranded with my 2 young kids. That was Friday, its now Monday and they said maybe Tuesday or Wednesday because they didn't have parts for it. It has been in the shop more than out of the shop. I too had problems with the sliding doors as my sons head got squished in them on more than 1 occasion they finally fixed/adjusted the sensor. I never had any problems with any of my "German" made cars. This was a big mistake for VW. I will never be back and I will be sure to tell everyone I know about VW not standing behind their product/mistake with Chrysler. I now dont feel safe driving this vehicle and my lease is not up until 5/2012 which is not soon enough."

No way man

By on Sunday, September 27, 2009

"I purchased this vehicle last week and the engine completly fell out of the vehicle. the 2 bolts that secures the engine popped out."

love this van

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

"We ve had this van for 3 years & its been great for our fam of 5. Minor probs with cruise (fixed 1x under warranty) & now still wrks intermittently. Comfortable ride & very convenient."

Best minivan on the road

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, lots of storage, best styling"

Cons: "Chrysler built"

"Love the comfort, ride and storage. Best looking / style of minivan on the road. Very good gas mileage on the interstate even loaded down. Will normally get 26-27 mpg on the interstate. Had the smaller 3.8L engine in the 2009 model. This 2010 SEL was loaded with the 4.0L engine. At 70 mph is barely turns 1600 rpm. Can be very quick for a minivan. Lots of grunt and power. Very comfortable ride even on long trips."

No Recommended

By on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"I do not recommend this vehicle. Even through they offer free maintenence for three years, the car has to be serviced a something at least once a month. Entire brakes had to be replaced within 12 months and interior is cheaply made and looks 5 years old already. The window on the drivers side had to be replaced within 6 months of ownership because it kept getting stuck. The sliding door often does not close. The arm rest also broke and has to be replaced. Although everything is covered on their warranty it is a big hassle to have to fix all of these problems. The drive is smooth."

WORST CAR EVER!!!

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pros: "good design"

Cons: "constant problems!!! too many to list: recalls!"

"Don't let the great features fool you this car is a shaking, cheaply-made, is a money pit on wheels. Something is always breaking! I have to keep a running list for when I go in for oil changes (every 4ish months) of all the things that are not working properly, often they can't even fix them! I've never experienced such a poorly manufactured car. whatever you do ... don't buy this car!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals