2011 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 123 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.3/10
    6.8/10
    7.4/10
    7.4/10

Not your typical minivan!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great features w/o the price,"

Cons: "towing capacity"

"We have loved this van. As a man who drives it a lot, I love how it handles more like a semi-sports car than a loose town-car. I've heard some people say it's not as smooth riding but I don't know what they're talking about. It's got very responsive steering and an engine to back it up. We've made several long road trips in it and it travels well. We put about 20k miles a year on our vehicles and it has stood up to the wear and tear. In the VW, you get many of the "upgrades" but without the premium price. I personally like the sporty changes that VW put on the van. The spoiler, different nose, and interior designs are great. All the seats are VERY comfortable. The leather has been extremely durable and I would highly recommend it. There's also a lot of great extra storage space in the floor due to the design from Chrysler but without the stow-and-go seats. We have one with a dual entertainment system and wireless headphones. Our kids love it. If we wanted to, our kids can be watching 2 different movies on the headphones and we can listen to iPod or something up front on a long trip. It also has an AUX input by the rear row that you can plug a game console or iPod into and feed into speakers and/or video screen(s). The touchscreen entertainment system has been great. We love the built in hard drive for loading CD's onto it. We did have an issue with an engine valve spring but it was covered under the warranty. The VW dealership has a technician who is specially trained to work on the Routan. I did wish that it had a bit more towing capacity but even the other vans can't tow that much. One other thing, if you want to use the LATCH in the 3rd row, it will fit 2 car seats and not leave any room left for a third person. We've gone ahead and just used the seat belts and it hasn't been a problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat."

WATCH OUT FOR COSTLY BRAKE PROBLEMS

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "barkes to many recalls and problem at 25000 miles"

"i BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE IN 2010. Since then several to many recalls and problems with door shades and windows and by far the battery is finished!!!!. The most annoying thing is that we had our brakes and rotors changed for 3rd time at 24000 miles. they know it in the dealership that this is a huge problem. today they told me that they stopped making this car. my advise get a lawyer and you can return this lemon car back and get your money."

The Volkswagen Routan is an excellent minivan

By on Saturday, April 04, 2009

"The Volkswagen Routan is our first minivan purchase and we are very happy with it so far. It drives nicely in town and on the highway. The cabin is quiet and roomy enough for 3 adults and 3 kids. All of the seats, including the third row are very comfortable. There is plenty of storage for luggage in the back and in the very roomy under the floor storage in the second row. Driver seat controls are well placed. The hard drive is great for copying songs, books on tape, etc and leaving all of the bulky cases at home. The entertainment system with two screens is great for allowing second and third row passengers to watch different movies at the same time. The driver can also listen to something different while the two movies are playing. I like the permanent middle console better than some of the folding kinds in the competitor minivans, as you can put things in them and not have to remove them each time you want to go to the back of the van. It is great for large families and a lot of fun to drive. I fell in love with it when I took it out for the test drive and have been very happy with it ever since I bought it. As far as I know, the Routan was designed and built with the help of Chrysler, so you will see a lot of similarities, which in my opinion is a good thing as the Town & Country is a well designed and popular minivan. I think the Routan feels like a better driving, more stylish Town & Country with unbelievable financing and warranty options from Volkswagen and the support of a very stable company."

sel premium 4d

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"bought the car new. love it. very comfortable and have not had any problems. went on two long trips and the ride is great. gas mileage averaged about 23 highway. kids love the tv's can watch 2 different videos at the same time. we bought an extra set of headset. so much in this van still learning everything. looks like a keeper. we also added the tow package and running boards. makes the car standout. Hope to see you fellow VW fans on the road. Make sure you waive."

i'm a convert

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"We have had this minivan for nearly a year and i am a convert. I swore I'd never own a minivan because I love sporty cars. After baby #3, I didn't have many options. So I grudgingly decided to look at the Routan. Absolutely love it!!! We are a big road trip family and the Routan has been great to drive and makes those long rides even better for all of us. The kids love the DVD system and all the cubbies for their stuff. Love, love, love my Routan."

We needed a van. VW had vans.

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Features, price, engine mileage"

Cons: "Tranny, tranny, tranny."

"With VW closing out the Routan in 2012 I had an opportunity for a very good deal. An SE with Nav and RSE and 3 year maint for $23k. I couldn't find a 2010 lower level Toyota Sienna with under 40k miles for that price. I didn't expect a Toyota. I had one on an extended rental and it was nice. But neither did I want to pay Toyota money. The engine in the VW is great. Very powerful and surprising mileage. On a trip from the Central coast to the LA area (5 hrs) the van got 27 MPG and that was average 75 mph +. The transmission on the other hand gets easily confused. On the highway it's fine. If you drive it like a grandma easing on the throttle trying to save gas it's pretty smooth. But try to pass or push the throttle a little to make it shift down good luck. It doesn't want to stay in the lower gear. It stutters on shift changes. It will shift up so that it's at 1200 RPM at 45 miles per hour going up hill. There should be a patch for this. Wife loves it. She drives like a grandma saving gas."

Best deal for the money for a mnivan

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage - space, comfort"

"Awesome van!!! Gas mileage is incredible - getting 21 city and up to 36 highway so far and its only a year old! Love live love it!!!!"

Owned for 6mo

By on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Pros: "price, value, ride - overall good vehicle"

Cons: "Missing a few options"

"No issues from VW just from the dealer we bought it from. The van is a good buy. We have the SE w/Nav and dual dvd with pwr doors. Rides/drives very nice. Good in rain and snow. The nav and dvd are nice. The only complaints are minor. No auto lights or fog lights. you have to go to the SEL model to get fog lights. Kind of dumb. Also you can't view your tire pressure from the info center. It only tells you id a tire is low. We have the back up camera which is nice but it doesn't have back up sensors. Again, dumb. Those are the little things I wish it had, other than those things I am happy with it."

Chrysler Remake without the benefits

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No Stow"

"Approximately 1 month after buying, had to have the brake rotors turned to prevent vibration when braking. Had difficulty with sliding doors not closing until I got the factory rep involved. At 36,900 miles took it in for repair to right front strut. Out of warranty, so I took it to a garage that charges $30 less per hour. The vehicle rides great with lots of pep from the 4 liter engine. Missing the stow"

love it

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Cons: "should have upped for leather"

"i love my van. its great with kids. in floor storage, heated seats, moon roof, good stero system, fold down back seats, drives well, remote start, good gas milage, roomy ,comfy!"

Bad Choice by VW

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "it is still under warranty"

Cons: "VW cant fix our problems, no pickup on the highway"

"We have had this vehicle for over 18 months and since we drove it off the lot we have had nothing but problems. Our transmission shifts very hard and VW has been unable to fix the problem but they admit there is a problem. We had bad door seals and they molded and needed to be replaced. There have been over 10 service recalls on this vehicle meaning we needed to take it in to have it serviced. It is supposed to get over 20 MPG on the high way, we average about 17 and that is with only two people in the van. We love the features it offers but that is the extent of our happiness."

Minivan for wife who refused to drive a minivan

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Styling, fun to drive, rear-seat entertainment system"

Cons: "Last row great for kids, not so great for six-footers"

"Bought Routan after spotting one in a showroom and realizing it was essentially a restyled Chrysler Town and Country. My wife liked the latter, but she didn't want to be a minivan driver; convinced her to take a test ride and she was hooked by the more VW-esque styling and handling. Vehicle has had some recalls, but given the free service the first few years, not an issue, and not any more than a Chrysler from what others tell me. Also got a great price given VW hasn't moved as many of these as they had planned. All and all, we've been very satisfied with this vehicle and have recommended to others."

Very happy with my Routan

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Great value, great driving experience, excellent handling and performance"

Big Mistake

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Really like the looks of the Routan, but it has been a nightmare. In the shop all the time from day 5. Dont buy this car. buy the same version from chrysler cheaper and with better warranty. Bad Brakes, Lots of rattling in the car. this 40k car is louder to drive than my 10 year old honda"

Not what I expected

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"I am disappointed in how many problems I have had with my Routan. It is only 1 and 1/2 years old and I have had it in for numerous things from the air conditioning going out to it leaking oil. Definitely would not recommend this van to my family or friends."

2009 SE 29k miles

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"I would have to say that the only complaint I have for this vehicle is that the MPG sucks for the 3.8L version. Expect about 13 MPG around town. Other than that I am pleased with the VW purchase. Awesome deals on these out there is what made me choose VW. I hope I do not have a lemon because I really do like the van."

Ok Van

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"I looked at several minivans and overall i was excited about the Routan because it looked stylish for a minivan. Then after driving it for two years, the dvd cover sometimes wont open and DVDs get stuck, CDs skip, the driver window won't go all the way up, till i pull the button 5 or six times, squeals really loud. I don't like the seats, I have to hike my leg way up to get over the huge hump on the beveled seat. However I will say, the service we get is excellent. I would rate that a 10 if i could. I do like the dual rear entertainment, no problems there. I like the heated seats and the 8 way power driver's seat. I like how the shifter is on the dash and the storage is incredible. I might consider another volkswagen because they treat us so great!"

Over Priced Dodge Caravan

By on Friday, February 18, 2011

"I bought my Routan back in July 2009. We got the Routan as an upgrade to a Jetta. BIG MISTAKE!!! The Routan is not a VW, it is a Crysler product badged as a VW. Quality fit and finish is inferior. The engine is underpowered, the transmission shifts as a 1949 Willys. Some of the options are nice, however sometines do not work as intended (ie Bluetooth, power windows, etc..). Now as for the re-sale value, horrible. If I wanted a Dodge I would have bought one and save $10,000. Now I'm stock with this for a few years. I'm hopping to get rid of it before the warranty expires."

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"I never thought I'd drive a minivan, but this is a VW! I bought a 2010 SEL in January. Love it! it has everything you need and then some. I've sat in every seat in the van and have no complaints. Plenty of room for everyone plus all your shopping bags, strollers, etc."

Love it!

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We have a 2009 Routan SE that currently has just shy of 18,000 miles on it. We also test drove an Odyseey, Sinnea, Quest, and T & C but felt we were getting the most for our money with the VW. We've not be disappointed! The interior is a little "plasticy." But all of the features are very simple to use--every thing from the DVD players to reconfiguring the seats is super easy! We have had none of the issues that others seem to complain about. The only problem we've had is a fuse, which controls the front power outles, blew. The dealer replaced it, at no charge of course, and we only spent about 20 minutes at the service department waiting; it was a minor thing and an easy fix. We've been very happy with the look and the handling of this van. Gas mileage is not great but is comparable to other mini-vans. We feel like this is a great vehicle and would recommend you put it on your list of vans to test drive!"

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

LOVE our car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "can fit tons of stuff in it"

Cons: "middle seats not on tracks and cost"

"We bought our Routan used and we still love it. It accommodates all 4 of children and is wonderful during 14 hour road trips. If I had to pick one flaw that we work around is that the middle seats aren't adjustable (on tracks) as far as for leg room. Other than that it gets great gas mileage and its a living room on wheels. Tons of room! awesome car just wish it was a little cheaper."

good but not great

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"i bought this van new, within 6000 miles had a seal go out on the trans, but over all satisfied, rides great and handles like a sports car!"

Do not recommend this car.

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "The price was good for all the item it included"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"More than 10 recalls, leaks form the sunroof, battery doesn't last, the paint in the doorknobs is peeling off! the lights on the dashboard turn on and off whenever they want making it too often a visit to the dealer to fix that. Also problem with the starring system."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals