2010 Volkswagen Routan

6.2

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2009 - 2014 models.

6.6/10
    6.4/10
    6.4/10
    6.9/10
    7.5/10
    7.5/10

WATCH OUT FOR COSTLY BRAKE PROBLEMS

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "barkes to many recalls and problem at 25000 miles"

"i BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE IN 2010. Since then several to many recalls and problems with door shades and windows and by far the battery is finished!!!!. The most annoying thing is that we had our brakes and rotors changed for 3rd time at 24000 miles. they know it in the dealership that this is a huge problem. today they told me that they stopped making this car. my advise get a lawyer and you can return this lemon car back and get your money."

Over Priced Dodge Caravan

By on Friday, February 18, 2011

"I bought my Routan back in July 2009. We got the Routan as an upgrade to a Jetta. BIG MISTAKE!!! The Routan is not a VW, it is a Crysler product badged as a VW. Quality fit and finish is inferior. The engine is underpowered, the transmission shifts as a 1949 Willys. Some of the options are nice, however sometines do not work as intended (ie Bluetooth, power windows, etc..). Now as for the re-sale value, horrible. If I wanted a Dodge I would have bought one and save $10,000. Now I'm stock with this for a few years. I'm hopping to get rid of it before the warranty expires."

Bad Choice by VW

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "it is still under warranty"

Cons: "VW cant fix our problems, no pickup on the highway"

"We have had this vehicle for over 18 months and since we drove it off the lot we have had nothing but problems. Our transmission shifts very hard and VW has been unable to fix the problem but they admit there is a problem. We had bad door seals and they molded and needed to be replaced. There have been over 10 service recalls on this vehicle meaning we needed to take it in to have it serviced. It is supposed to get over 20 MPG on the high way, we average about 17 and that is with only two people in the van. We love the features it offers but that is the extent of our happiness."

Big Mistake

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Really like the looks of the Routan, but it has been a nightmare. In the shop all the time from day 5. Dont buy this car. buy the same version from chrysler cheaper and with better warranty. Bad Brakes, Lots of rattling in the car. this 40k car is louder to drive than my 10 year old honda"

Not what I expected

By on Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"I am disappointed in how many problems I have had with my Routan. It is only 1 and 1/2 years old and I have had it in for numerous things from the air conditioning going out to it leaking oil. Definitely would not recommend this van to my family or friends."

not a good van

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pros: "the body styling, entertainment system"

Cons: "mechanical (see above), bad in the snow"

"it was the first year so there were some kinks to work out. I expected VW to stand by their product and do the right thing when issues in the first year design came up. we had/have issues with one of the running lamps always being out, the brakes were too small for the weight of the van (went through 3 sets of brakes and only got the last ones for free after loud complaining I would have expected that since it was a known issue they would have realized and not make me buy brakes every couple of miles), tire pressure sensors rusted out and needed to be replace. for the tire pressure sensors the dealer was looking for $90 per wheel and then $180 to put them in...over $400! bought them on amazon and had the local tire guy install them without issue."

Chrysler Remake without the benefits

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No Stow"

"Approximately 1 month after buying, had to have the brake rotors turned to prevent vibration when braking. Had difficulty with sliding doors not closing until I got the factory rep involved. At 36,900 miles took it in for repair to right front strut. Out of warranty, so I took it to a garage that charges $30 less per hour. The vehicle rides great with lots of pep from the 4 liter engine. Missing the stow"

Minivan for wife who refused to drive a minivan

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "Styling, fun to drive, rear-seat entertainment system"

Cons: "Last row great for kids, not so great for six-footers"

"Bought Routan after spotting one in a showroom and realizing it was essentially a restyled Chrysler Town and Country. My wife liked the latter, but she didn't want to be a minivan driver; convinced her to take a test ride and she was hooked by the more VW-esque styling and handling. Vehicle has had some recalls, but given the free service the first few years, not an issue, and not any more than a Chrysler from what others tell me. Also got a great price given VW hasn't moved as many of these as they had planned. All and all, we've been very satisfied with this vehicle and have recommended to others."

Very happy with my Routan

By on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Great value, great driving experience, excellent handling and performance"

2009 SE 29k miles

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I would have to say that the only complaint I have for this vehicle is that the MPG sucks for the 3.8L version. Expect about 13 MPG around town. Other than that I am pleased with the VW purchase. Awesome deals on these out there is what made me choose VW. I hope I do not have a lemon because I really do like the van."

Ok Van

By on Monday, March 7, 2011

"I looked at several minivans and overall i was excited about the Routan because it looked stylish for a minivan. Then after driving it for two years, the dvd cover sometimes wont open and DVDs get stuck, CDs skip, the driver window won't go all the way up, till i pull the button 5 or six times, squeals really loud. I don't like the seats, I have to hike my leg way up to get over the huge hump on the beveled seat. However I will say, the service we get is excellent. I would rate that a 10 if i could. I do like the dual rear entertainment, no problems there. I like the heated seats and the 8 way power driver's seat. I like how the shifter is on the dash and the storage is incredible. I might consider another volkswagen because they treat us so great!"

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I never thought I'd drive a minivan, but this is a VW! I bought a 2010 SEL in January. Love it! it has everything you need and then some. I've sat in every seat in the van and have no complaints. Plenty of room for everyone plus all your shopping bags, strollers, etc."

Love it!

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We have a 2009 Routan SE that currently has just shy of 18,000 miles on it. We also test drove an Odyseey, Sinnea, Quest, and T & C but felt we were getting the most for our money with the VW. We've not be disappointed! The interior is a little "plasticy." But all of the features are very simple to use--every thing from the DVD players to reconfiguring the seats is super easy! We have had none of the issues that others seem to complain about. The only problem we've had is a fuse, which controls the front power outles, blew. The dealer replaced it, at no charge of course, and we only spent about 20 minutes at the service department waiting; it was a minor thing and an easy fix. We've been very happy with the look and the handling of this van. Gas mileage is not great but is comparable to other mini-vans. We feel like this is a great vehicle and would recommend you put it on your list of vans to test drive!"

avoid at all cost

By on Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Reason: engine malfunctioning

Pros: "Appealing interior."

Cons: "Engine malfunctioning. Low relaiability."

"Bought the van at its 60k mileage. Appealing interior and interesting gadgets. Drove for about 4k miles. Engine malfunctioning started: extreme shaking with the engine light on/flashing. Sometimes other lights turned on two. Visited the dealers four times; couldn't quite figure out the issue. After changing oils and cylinders, sold it. The price after about 8k miles became about the half the price at which I bought it."

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

LOVE our car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "can fit tons of stuff in it"

Cons: "middle seats not on tracks and cost"

"We bought our Routan used and we still love it. It accommodates all 4 of children and is wonderful during 14 hour road trips. If I had to pick one flaw that we work around is that the middle seats aren't adjustable (on tracks) as far as for leg room. Other than that it gets great gas mileage and its a living room on wheels. Tons of room! awesome car just wish it was a little cheaper."

good but not great

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"i bought this van new, within 6000 miles had a seal go out on the trans, but over all satisfied, rides great and handles like a sports car!"

Do not recommend this car.

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "The price was good for all the item it included"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"More than 10 recalls, leaks form the sunroof, battery doesn't last, the paint in the doorknobs is peeling off! the lights on the dashboard turn on and off whenever they want making it too often a visit to the dealer to fix that. Also problem with the starring system."

Awesome drive.

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Everything about the vehicle is a pro."

Cons: "Haven't found any yet."

"I have never been one to dig the minivan concept, however, when my wife talked me into just looking at them, after the test-drive I was sold. Very smooth ride and we have enjoyed it ever since. I am not much of one to take the back seat on any ride, but I wouldn't mind this ride anytime in the back seat. Two dvd screens for viewing two movies at the same time. Very quiet ride. If I didn't have this now, I would even consider purchasing a used one just like it because I am that sold on the vehicle. I am more of a Ford man myself, but next in line for me after Ford is now the VW. Great vehicles and great service through the dealership. After two weeks of owning the van we drove down to Disneyland. Great drive and couldn't ask for anything more. Heated seats, leather, very quiet ride. Many times I wonder if the engine is still running if stopped because it is that quiet. Would highly recommend the Routan to anyone looking for a mini van, and if you're not, you should look at this ride over an SUV. Cost on gas is much lower and the ride is AWESOME. Both daughters have actually bought VW's since we bought this van, just because that is how impressed we are with the quality. I should have been purchasing VW's years ago."

Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Good on the road, steering and suspension excellen"

Cons: "Low gas mileage a little low compared to other mvs"

"For a base model (S), it has everything necessary as your standard grocery getter but the ride and handling is the best I've had in any minivan (Kia, older Voyager, older Toyota). Pretty spartan but hasn't fallen to pieces and doesn't make weird noises like the Kia or older model Voyagers did."

Awesome

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, RSE, Euro Feel inside and when driving."

Cons: "Front Cup holder is cheap looking"

"Not sure why some complain about this "Minivan". First and Foremost it does not look cheap inside like it's cousin the Town and Country. Very European Inside. It handles like a European Car also. We test drove ever Minivan on the Market. This one was the best overall valve and is fun to drive too, the seats are very comfortable. It is fast for a minivan."

Paying for a car that is in the shop .....

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Been in the shop way too long for a NEW car!"

"I had a Toyota Sienna for 9 years which was so comfortable and reliable. We decided to try Volkswagen as we got a great deal and we loved the no-nonsense sales people. Within a few weeks the engine light would come on. Then the skid indicator. The car was in the shop for 2 days and came back with the same problems. It has now been in for another 10 days and they are waiting on a part that could take between 2-4 weeks to arrive from Germany. In the meantime they rented a Ford Escape for me from Avis. It was nice of them, but I am making monthly payments for a minivan. Very frustrating as I need the space! I have also had a problem with the bluetooth audio streaming. After Volkswagen spent a few day trying to fix it, they consulted with the Town and Country guys - it works as designed. You cannot use the bluetooth audio streaming unless your phone screen is in power saving mode - does not help for rewinding and fastforwarding - makes audibook listening horribly frustrating!"

Top Notch

By on Monday, May 3, 2010

"Love the Routan since the day we test drove it, handles great. First and foremost my wife, the main driver, loves it."

Love it!

By on Thursday, June 4, 2009

"The features available were a definite selling point and my children love the dual screens & dual CD capability. Storage is great with the in the floor storage and the rear area. What really sold us was the way the vehicle handled while driving. It didn't handle like a "truck" but took the corners more like a sedan...very nice. Definitely would recommend!"

Better Tan a T&C

By on Friday, June 12, 2009

"I have had the Routan for a short while and from what I can tell people who own them (like me) really seem to like what the Routan has to offer. The price is right and I got mine about 3 grand less that the T&C with the same equipment. The Routan drives great and best of all looks good. I don't feel like I own a box or the same van everyone else has( H and T). As for quality -- who knows? It may last forever --- plus I have a 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty on it just in case. (cost me nearly nothing to add) I've known plenty of H or T owners who have had nothing but problems!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals