2010 Volkswagen Routan

6.1

Based on 111 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

6.5/10
    6.3/10
    6.3/10
    6.8/10
    7.2/10
    7.3/10

Stay Away!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Lots of great features for passengers"

Cons: "Bad brakes, uses oil, bad service at dealership"

"We were very pleased with the 2010 Routan when we first got it as it was $10,000 off the sticker price brand new from the dealership. That should have been our first warning! The car holds a lot and has lots of great features, but that is where the "pros" end. The car is very comfortable for everyone except the driver. We have taken it on many long road trips and I always feel like I have to fight with it. It drives more like a truck than a car. I loved my Sienna and this is definitely on the opposite side of the comfort spectrum. I guess some people may like this, but I feel it lends to driver fatigue. It is the only car I have ever driven where my foot actually falls asleep while driving! The car is very heavy, but does not do well in the snow of Western New York. I have gotten stuck a few times and needed to be pushed just to get up a small incline or hill. Not good for a family of skiers! Hoping that a better set of tires will help with that this year. Also, the transmission does seem to drop while accelerating. We have had the brakes fixed 3 times within 40K miles averaging about once a year since we have owned it. When the brakes go, they burn up smoking and getting incredibly hot! It is now beginning to use oil as well. I have had to add at least 2 quarts just to get to the next oil change. I was told this was "normal" usage. Never before have I had to use this much oil! It seems it was easier for VW to just stop making this vehicle than fix it!"

THEY JUST WANT YOUR $$$$$$

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "roomy"

Cons: "Everything -pricy,bad sevice,bad brakes,bad doors"

"I bought my van new $37000 in '09 I have had MANY problems to many to list. The main 2 are first the rear brake the caliper frame was faulty causing rotor and pad to be shot that was '11 and even though they knew frame was faulty was not replaced now '13 it wore out my brake and rotor again and now there saying it was from the caliper bracket so they wont do anything about it. (its the same part)but HAHA my warranty is over I think thats what they were waiting for so they could get more money. Second my side door on passenger side wasn't working properly and there was a recall but they only did that side and now my other side is acting up and they say well the recall is outdated so they probably wont cover it. DO NOT BUY A VW OF ANY MODEL YOU WILL WISH YOU DIDNT."

Would'nt do it again, unless I really had too!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Great use of space. Quiet on good roads."

Cons: "A mix of Chrysler and VW? Not the best grounds...."

"I always consider the reliability if a vehicle by how much time it spends at a dealership in a twelve month period. More importantly, how good a service department is at resolving issues. Firstly, brakes on this vehicle were truly not engineered well. Just view the extensive complaints about warped rotors? I normally put these comments down to bad driving habits, but not in this case. My vehicle has never been driven with more than three people in, never loaded and still I've replaced three sets of front rotors within 30k miles. Half a dozen repair attempts at fixing the side rattling doors, never resolved. Chrsyler modded their vans while VW never did the same. Noisy transmission, that bumps and drops between gears, something that a VW tech considers normal. Numerous failed window motors, buttons and regulators. Poor city MPG. Rust appearing on upper internal areas of door. Vehicle has spent 10 weeks at dealer within the last 60... I'd truly be surprised, if this vehicle makes it to a 100k, without a major issue! Such a shame, considering my previous Odessey clocked up 180k before any real concerns."

LOVE our car

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "can fit tons of stuff in it"

Cons: "middle seats not on tracks and cost"

"We bought our Routan used and we still love it. It accommodates all 4 of children and is wonderful during 14 hour road trips. If I had to pick one flaw that we work around is that the middle seats aren't adjustable (on tracks) as far as for leg room. Other than that it gets great gas mileage and its a living room on wheels. Tons of room! awesome car just wish it was a little cheaper."

Solid Choice

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the stow-and-go feature."

Cons: "Wished gas mileage was a little better (who wdnt)"

"We recently bought a 2009 Routan. Shortly after we bought it we drove it out to the Grand Canyon (2800+ mile round trip). After driving it around before our vacation trip I was a little concerned about how the 3.8L engine would do in the mountains, but I was pleasantly pleased with the performance. The downside of the performance was that when the cruise was on the mph would go down 5-10 before the transmission would shift to compensate for the elevation gain. The ride is a little stiffer than our old van (Chrysler T&C), but not too bad. Overall, I am happy with our purchase."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Routan near Honolulu. See local deals