2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,612 - $25,063.

10/8.0

Based on 159 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Phenomenal Vehicle

By on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, smooth operation, diesel operation"

Cons: "Traction on wet pavement or snow (compared to Audi"

"I owned an Audi A6 and intended to purchase another Audi. Howevever, when I went to the Audi/VW dealership and test drove the Passat TDI SEL I could not find a reason to spend twice the price for an A6 and not get the diesel advantage. Economy, handling and performance has been exceptional. The most significant difference was the lack of the Quattro AWD. Acceleration on wet or slippery pavement was outstanding in the A6 Quattro."

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

lov the mpg

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "great price and money saver"

Cons: "nothing so far"

"awesome car , diesel but it has a lot of torque which make is it very fast very quick . Right now I am getting around 34 mpg mixed driving . Interior design is nice doesn't look cheap like some of the other cars in its class . Very satisfied with my Passat tdi"

Diesel power.

By on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pros: "Mpg, driving dynamics, rear seat leg room,"

Cons: "Waiting list for TDI version."

"I was floored when I test drove the diesel version of the Passat. This car has adequate power that crushes mountain passes all the while getting 50 mpg. But what about the clatter and smell of the smokey diesel we all know? Believe it when I say you will have a difficult time telling this car is diesel powered. If that is not enough this car is huge inside while maintaining midsize exterior dimensions. Fit and finish are above average and the car just feels right. If this car is not on your short list do yourself a favor and take a look before you buy."

2013 V6 SEL Premium

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Comfort and room"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"This is the best car I have ever owned. It has exceptional comfort. Two weeks after I purchased the car I took a 3600 mile trip. There have been no problems at all. When we tested the car we also tested a TDI SEl Premium version. We chose the V6 because it is so smooth and powerful. I do wish the German manufactures would get away from engines that require premium gas. both American and Japanese manufactures make engines of the same size or smaller that produce as much power on regular gas. A good example is GM's 3.6 V6."

nice, nice, car

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Looks great in blue. and no worries, mpg is great."

Cons: "maybe reliability. don't know yet"

"I love this car. I've owned honda accords, 4 or 5 different models. This car is very nice. I love it. I hope the reliability is as good, everything else is. I accept the 2.5 as is. It's actually gotten a bit quicker. The mileage from Tampa to Memphis was amazing at 36.5 mpg. People notice this car."

the car does everything great!

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "price for features, fun torque, mileage."

Cons: "only 2 12v power ports & 1 ipad port."

"the car drives great, leg room, head room, performance, mileage, comfort, quiet, features, radio/sound system, just everything. ps. i do not sell cars, and did own 2013 chevy impala, test drove 2014 impala, toyota, honda. i more i drive it the more i like it!"

This is definitely the best vehicle I have owned.

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "excellent price, fun to drive; affordable luxury"

"This is my second Passat and I will not likely buy anything else in the future. The car is extremely comfortable, fun to drive, and I've been averaging 33+ mpg highway and about 25 around town. The sound system is great and the driver's seat is about as comfortable as they get -- I could drive this car for hours without getting fatigued."

Excellent Value, Excellent Fuel Economy, Sporty

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Reason: Wife wanted something bigger

Pros: "Handling, Value, MPG, Radio, Roomy back+trunk"

Cons: "Stiff front seats, Low prestige"

bye bye

"I bought the 2.5 Gas SE with Sunroof. List was $26+K, I paid just over $23K and got 1.9% for 66 mos. so the car was an excellent value. I put 21,000 miles on it and sold it for $17K, not too bad for owning it 1.5 years. I never had any issues and the dealer took care of all the maint for free. The car was plenty large enough for 4, and was pleasant to drive. Averaged 28.5 MPG overall with very little highway driving. Mileage actually improved as the car broke in. The car is a blast to drive on backroads but the seats are a little stiff for long hauls. The A/C and Radio are top notch as are the heated seats and sunroof. Really a great value over Accord or Camry if saving money is important to you. I ended up trading it for a Buick Lacrosse CXL only because my wife and I wanted something large and plush for long rides to Disney, ect. I'm sure the VW would be cheaper to own and run but we just missed the luxury and are willing to fork over another $100 a month to have it"

bye bye