2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,740 - $25,013.

10/8.0

Based on 135 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

TDI is the only way to go

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, torque, DSG trans is awesome"

Cons: "radio/ navigation are outdated."

"I had my doubts about VW when I bought the Passat back in 2012 because I heard so many stories about the reliability. I looked at a few other sedans but opted for the TDI SE with the DSG. I have not regretted it for a single day. I went from a car with the worst transmission on the planet (a part italian owned big 3) to the BEST transmission out there. I put 87k miles on it and it still feels solid as the day I bought it. Maintenance is a bit more expensive for the TDI sure, but fuel economy makes up for it - and this is the ONLY car that I ever get better fuel economy that the EPA rating! My local VW dealer is very nice as well. I constantly get 42-43mpg on long hauls with the family. Phoenix to Las Vegas and back without stopping for fuel is nice too! I would recommend it highly."

I'd tell you to pass!

By on Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pros: "Good diesel mileage"

Cons: "Too many to list."

"This car is just not a nice car. I regret purchasing this car, almost from the get go. The diesel does give great mileage; but, then you give it back when the car needs to be serviced! The 40K service was $630.00! When you factor in the servicing costs, it's cheaper for me to drive my '09 Lincoln Town Car. After all, the Town Car NEVER needs any special servicing! Now the Passat is on it's third turbo. The seats are already cracking. The car is not comfortable. I would not recommend this car. Very disappointed customer VW!"

Wicked Sleeper Family Sedan

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Fast, Roomy, Awesome stereo, Reliable"

Cons: "Looks average"

"Actually bought 2! Rides and handles effortlessly. VR6 motor provides plenty of torquey horsepower and feels really fast. DSG shifts smoothly-1/200th of a second. Gives V8s a run for their money! Three carseats fit in the backseat and still has plenty of front leg room. Seats wipe off easily for kid spills. Phone connects immediately through Bluetooth. Steering wheel controls convenient for skipping songs from phone while streaming Pandora or Spotify. Fender stereo is superb and highly recommended for the most discerning audiophile. Love my VR6 Passats!"

Good Open Road car

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "Vr6 3.6L nice power"

Cons: "stiff suspension"

"I have always been a VW fan. Our Passat is Black and strew tan. In Italy we owned an A8, the 2014 Passat has the same room but not all the toys and the suspension is stiffer. The transmission take learning to operate efficiently (better fuel milage)."

Best Gas Mileage

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, comfortable, lots of power"

Cons: "Temperature on inside is not thermostat controlled"

"I get 42.8 MPG overall - city and highway. I could not be more pleased with this car."

tremendous value and quality

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, fit and finish, performance and val"

Cons: "none for me"

"I used to sell and service V.W.'s. I have owned six of them and traded a 2011 GTI with DSG trans for my Passat. For me, although not as performance oriented, I find this Passat to be the best built, quiet, comfortable, most substantial V.W. of all that I have owned. This new Gen III EA 888 1.8 T is a refined leap in powerplant engineering providing linear and seamless power delivery, as well as amazing fuel economy provided that the turbo isn't constantly being spooled. As an added bonus, knowing that this car was manufactured in the U.S.A. and had been by far the most reliable, best assembled, fit/finished of all my V.W.'s including my 2011 GTT is saying a lot. Having all emissions components covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles by virtue of being a PZEV vehicle, is just another of many virtues. Am I easily pleased? Just the opposite, however in this case, my 2014 SE w/roof with the new EA 888 1.8 T with 6 speed Tiptronic far exceeds my prior expectations."

Disappointed

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "The turbo failures"

"First, I love the way the car handles. It is has great comfort and convenience. Controls are all in a logical places and function appropriately The diesel performed as advertised (diesel prices don't change as frequent as unleaded), great mileage city and highway. Nothing better than a 600 mile roundtrip on a tank. Downside, the car is having issues with the turbo. The turbo has been replaced twice in 26000 miles. Not a cheap fix, especially if fails, requires the whole oil system to be cleaned. It is disappointing because Diesel Turbos are not new tech for VW. They have had them in Europe for years, so to me this is unacceptable. I am looking to replace the vehicle with a Jetta Diesel, which the internet boards is showing to be reliable."

Best Sedan out there

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Roominess, Solid build"

Cons: "Pricey but MPG compensates with TDI"

"Love this car and the MPG. Been on multiple family trips with room to spare and really cheap fuel costs. Can't beat it! Comfortable, reliable, and a great car to drive."

Excellent Car, TERRIBLE radio/nav system

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Great Drive, handles well, exceptional mileage"

Cons: "Extremely expensive & poor radio/nav system"

"Have over 20,0000 miles on this TDI Passat. Overall it is a great car. The mileage is beyond belief (e.g. got 49 mpg at 85 with air conditioning on a recent trip). Interior and exterior are packaged nicely, drives and handles well and has nice amenities EXCEPT the RNS 510 radio/nav system. It is totally too slow, and not user friendly, nearly unresponsive. Despite complaints to the dealer and the VW corporation (actually the dealership has been excellent in all other aspects)nothing is done or even acknowledged officially despite many similar comments on the internet about this system."

performance, comfort, materials, excellent value

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

"Compared to Camry, Altima, Sonata, Optima and Accord, which are all in the same class and approx the same price, simply put, German engineering...the feel, the handling, the performance, the materials interior and exterior...by far exceeds the competition. Sure, possibly years later, the others may be less expensive to maintain, but also feel like tin cans...you can hear the road noise, feel the rollover on curves...the Passat has a heavy, solid feel, no road noise, great insulation, and superior handling and performance. It's truly in a class of it's own. Safety ratings also exceeds the competition."