2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,536 - $20,751.

10/8.0

Based on 151 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Amazing fuel economy, great handling, superb seats

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, handling, interior, stereo"

Cons: "some grainy plastic, styling not agressive enough"

"Ill start first by saying don't listen to the EPA fuel economy ratings, they are hard on diesels. While it is rated for "only" 40 mpg hwy, I exceed that by a large margin. Even with a lead foot, I still get 32-33 mpg city. With the cruise set at 75, I was averaging 46.2 mpg for my trip to Nachitoches. On a recent trip to New Orleans (355 miles from me) I had the family and luggage loaded up and the cruise set at 79 (speed limit is 75) and still averaged 42 mpg on the way down there. On the way back I kept it at 75, and got almost 47 mpg. I went 742 miles on one tank without refueling! Thats right, drove from Shreveport to New Orleans (Marerro), then to our hotel downtown, then back to Shreveport without stopping for fuel. The seats are extremely comfortable on long trips, and my back, for the first time, wasn't stiff after an 8hr drive to West Tx. Acceleration in town is excellent thanks to 236lb/ft of torque, which is what a good size V6 makes. It is quite peppy, especially if you want to zip into traffic. No waiting for the RPM's to go up like a conventional gasoline 4 cylinder. Power comes on strong at just 1,400 RPM. Highway passing power isn't phenomenal, but it is adequate, and considering the fuel economy is great. No gasoline powered car ion America comes close to the fuel economy. Not even the tiny Smart car, Chevy Spark and Toyota IQ do not match this cars fuel economy, and this car is not only much larger, but quite a bit faster as well. Faster, roomier, and better on fuel than many hybrids as well without all of that complexity, and it drives like a real car? Yes you can have your cake and eat it. This car actually has more backseat room than a Toyota Avalon, which is a full size car. The Fender Audio system is great. You can tell VW did add some cost cutting into some of the interior, but they were tactful, by keeping all of the surfaces you come in contact with regularly made of nice soft touch materials, while others that you don't normally touch are coarser and grainier plastics. The interior is by no means cheap, in fact, it was quite elegant and classy and better made than any of the Domestics we looked at. Controls were much more simple and user friendly than both the Japanese and Domestics. Driving dynamics are by far better than anything in its class. Handling is first rate, and ride is very smooth, although the factory tires can be noisy on coarse roads. Couldn't imagine how anyone could buy anything else after driving this. 3 years of free scheduled maintenance is nice too, and is something the competition does not offer. Overall I give this car a 10. This is my first VW, and I don't think it will be my last. Now if only they had a Diesel SUV with a third row. Until then, the Mercedes R class diesel, GL diesel, or an Audi Q7 TDI diesel will be on the shopping list. If you are looking for a family sedan that with the potential go 800+ miles on a tank on the highway, and is much more fun than the rest, this is the one."

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

This car does what it says it will do.

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "Power, interior room and functionality, fun"

Cons: "Tire size, no rear vents, fog lights"

"I have owned this car since April, 2012 and really enjoy driving it. It performs very well and is sturdy. The cabin space is large, well thought out and minimalistic but everything has a place and the features are all there. the one downside for me is the lack of rear vents for my daughter. It is hard to cool the back down without blasting those in front until the car cools down. However, once cool, there is rarely a complaint. This is a fast car and is deceptive to others the speed at which it takes off from a stop light. The power is one of my favorite things about this car. My least favorite is probably the clunky front-end design and the ineffective fog lights supplied with my package. Also, the odd 18" tire size VW chose leaves one with limited and expensive choices when needing to replace tires."

Touch-down for VW!

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

Pros: "Enthusiastic handling; quiet, classic interior"

Cons: "Can't put a roof rack on it."

"My wife and I needed mid-size sedan to drive on our North Carolina-to-California-and-back Wedding Anniversary Road Trip. After reading Motor Trends Magazine article which rated the Passat #1 we went to drive one. Of course, we also checked KBB's site for reviews too; also encouraging. We were 'blown away' with the Passat's road holding/handling; firm, but not harsh ride. Excellent seats for a looong road trip. Quiet and ergonomic interior. Plenty of room for our camping and hiking gear; the rear seat folds down to increase its already cavernous trunk space. MPG? We are already getting better than the EPA sticker; I expect that to improve with time. All these features and then the Dealer gave us $4k off the MSRP! SOLD! So, bottom line is that we picked a winner!"

This is an AMAZING vehicle that has good value.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Great price for fully loaded diesel variant."

Cons: "No rear heated seats, Slow Nav system."

"The Passat is a fantastic car it is from a brand well known for quality vehicles and this one does not disappoint. Even though the base Passat is $7,000 cheaper than the last generation it does not feel cheap or cheesy. The exterior is nicely styled but at the same time not overly out of the box such as the design of a Nissan Leaf. However I believe the design will fair well over the years. One downside about the exterior is no H.I.D headlamps even on the highest trim. The interior is a absolute delight with wood trim and a soft touch dash. Even though the wood trim is fake (Obviously look at the price tag) it still looks good. However the interior does have some negatives like no rear heated seats and the Navigation system is EXTREMELY lagging in performance. The interior mostly is full of positives like an optional Fender sound system with a powered sub and the ability to play back movies on the Nav screen. Overall the Passat remains a solid choice if your looking for a huge Mid-size sedan. Also not to mention the diesel noise is practically inaudible inside the cabin and the fuel economy is over what VW claims."