2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,384 - $19,533.

10/8.0

Based on 168 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Comfortable, Beautiful, Reliable, and Intuitive

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Comfortable, Reliable, High MPG"

Cons: "Low Horsepower"

"The 2012 Passat TDI SE is a great vehicle to own if one would love a reliable vehicle that is comfortable, beautiful, and gets excellent mileage. The exterior has subtle yet striking lines and the interior is simple yet refined for the price range. The sound system is great and the electronic features are easy to use. There is ample seating and storage room. The high level of torque makes driving fun but the lack of horsepower can get disappointing at higher rpm's if you are used to a high level of performance. Overall this is a great vehicle to own if you would like to travel in style and comfort while getting some of the best fuel mileage available. I usually average 41 mpg per tank and have gotten up to 48 mpg on a trip."

2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Value, fun to drive, fuel economy, reliable"

"Best car I ever owned. I've read all the negative comments on this and other sites. I have not experienced ANY of these negatives. I regulary get better than advertised MPG, 47 HWY, 36 City, 41 combined all without using an annoying CV transmission. This car is simply unparalleled in the midsize, mid-price sedan market."

WOW, the new all American Passat TDI is incredible

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, interior size, comfort,"

"Great car with lots of space. Rear seats are limo like...lots of room. DSG transmission is excellent choice for the TDI engine. Shifting is so smooth and electronic steering provides great feedback. Fuel millage is incredible better than most hybrid vehicles. You need to know that Passat is no Lexus or Mercedes, so if you are looking for that level of finish quality or performance you need to look somewhere else. The size of Passat and fuel economy combined are simply unbeatable. Some people complain about maintenance cost, keep in mind recommended oil changes are every 10,000 miles on Passat TDI. For the people that need rear camera, order one online for $200 from Bold Sport, spend couple hours installing it and be happy!"

Nice Car

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Regular fuel, Made in the USA, Rear leg room, Priced right!"

"Just bought my 3rd Passat in a row. Nice clean lines, drives really smoothly, great value, and built in the USA! Love that I don't need Premium fuel any longer. Miss some of the standard luxury options in my old 2009 Passat (I purchased the S with Appearance due to price), but overall, I do not miss them. The 2012 is fun to drive and lots of leg room in the rear for your passengers. The new body style does take some getting used to, but the more I look at it and drive it, the more I like this car."