2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,384 - $19,533.

10/8.0

Based on 167 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Very good value in midsize sedan.

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pros: "Quality of construction and ride. Comfort."

Cons: "Poor original tires."

"This car has a solid feel to its construction and ride. I have the manual 5-speed. It is fun to drive and handles well in corners and over bumps. The interior is quite comfortable. The lumbar support in the driver's seat is excellent. Features include dual climate zones, heated seats, roomy trunk and back seats, automatic headlamps, directional lights on the side view mirrors. etc. This an all-around very good car for the price. The gas mileage has been consistently 25-26 mpg combined. The only negative I experienced with this car was that the original Hankook tires were completely worn at 25,000 miles."

Great sports sedan

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pros: "Love it"

Cons: "Steering wheel electronics complicated"

"Fastest car I've owned in a long time(280hp) Still gets 32mpg hway if I take it easy. Wish the seats were leather instead of VW tex. Didn't get the real leather because it has like suede inserts. The Fender stereo is fantastic. The power seat doesn't tilt. Styling doesn't really stand out in a crowd."

2 years and I still love it! Buy the TDI !!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage!"

Cons: "Diesel takes a while to get used to. Turbo lag"

"I purchased my 2012 VW Passat TDI SE just about 2 years ago when this body style first came out. As an owner of a 2010 Jetta (Wolfsburg) I liked the fit and finish of the Jetta however the gas 2.0T in it was killing me in the mileage department. I was pleasently supprised by Passat. The fit and finish, ammenities, and handling between the two cars were comperable. However the intirior and trunk were so much more spacious than I thought they would be. The automatic transmisssion is quick and firm. It shifts nicely at all speeds and RPMs. The brakes are firm. However the low RPM turbo lag takes a little while to get used to. It is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination but it will get up and go when you need it to. But if you somp on the gas from a stop, you will probably spin the tires a bit as soon as the turbo kicks in. Neither a pro or a con, just something to get used to. In the 2 years I have had very few problems. My left mirror cracked when I forgot to turn off the heated mirror. Easy driveway fix with either an OEM mirror or I went with a european convex mirror. Sometimes, when the radio is low, you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. Again, not a big deal with just a little music. Overall the TDI Passat is great! I get over 600 miles to a 18 gallon fill up when driving to and from work. On several road trips I've gotten almost 800 miles to the same 18-19 gallons! Thats amazing!"

TDI is the only way to go

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, torque, DSG trans is awesome"

Cons: "radio/ navigation are outdated."

"I had my doubts about VW when I bought the Passat back in 2012 because I heard so many stories about the reliability. I looked at a few other sedans but opted for the TDI SE with the DSG. I have not regretted it for a single day. I went from a car with the worst transmission on the planet (a part italian owned big 3) to the BEST transmission out there. I put 87k miles on it and it still feels solid as the day I bought it. Maintenance is a bit more expensive for the TDI sure, but fuel economy makes up for it - and this is the ONLY car that I ever get better fuel economy that the EPA rating! My local VW dealer is very nice as well. I constantly get 42-43mpg on long hauls with the family. Phoenix to Las Vegas and back without stopping for fuel is nice too! I would recommend it highly."

2012 Passat is a Rattle Box

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Only sedan with diesel engine"

Cons: "Poor quality, fuel sloshing sounds; rattles; drive"

"Yes my car has several rattles from the very first day. Dealer has been able to fix couple but still have couple. The fuel tank is very poorly insulated and you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. I have never heard that in any of the previous six cars I have ever owned. Dealer does not know how to rectify this issue either. This is my first VW and I am telling the way I see it. I saw on other forums that other VW owners are in denial and too proud of their cars to accept lot of issues with VW quality. I would have never bought this car had the media did not give all the great reviews on this car and empty promises of quality. My biggest reason for buying this car was TDI Diesel with 6-speed manual transmission combo impossible to find in another car unless you buy a dodge diesel truck. So unless you are looking for that combo and can live with all the VW short comings and quality problems stay away from these American made VWs. They are no different. Also spending countless hours on VW websites I have come to realize the VW owners will never tell you how much extra they spend on maintenance and they will also be in denial."