2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,382 - $19,535.

10/8.0

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Excellent car and a great value

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, sleek design, dependable"

"I leased this car brand new and have put on 31,000 miles. So far the only non-scheduled maintenance issue I've had was a headlight that shorted out and was replaced under warranty. The car rides very smooth, is comfortable and reliable. I love having the XM Satelite radio. The leather seats are comfortable. The car is stylish, but also comfortable for long trips. I plan to purchase at the end of the lease."

Great sports sedan

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pros: "Love it"

Cons: "Steering wheel electronics complicated"

"Fastest car I've owned in a long time(280hp) Still gets 32mpg hway if I take it easy. Wish the seats were leather instead of VW tex. Didn't get the real leather because it has like suede inserts. The Fender stereo is fantastic. The power seat doesn't tilt. Styling doesn't really stand out in a crowd."

2 years and I still love it! Buy the TDI !!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage!"

Cons: "Diesel takes a while to get used to. Turbo lag"

"I purchased my 2012 VW Passat TDI SE just about 2 years ago when this body style first came out. As an owner of a 2010 Jetta (Wolfsburg) I liked the fit and finish of the Jetta however the gas 2.0T in it was killing me in the mileage department. I was pleasently supprised by Passat. The fit and finish, ammenities, and handling between the two cars were comperable. However the intirior and trunk were so much more spacious than I thought they would be. The automatic transmisssion is quick and firm. It shifts nicely at all speeds and RPMs. The brakes are firm. However the low RPM turbo lag takes a little while to get used to. It is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination but it will get up and go when you need it to. But if you somp on the gas from a stop, you will probably spin the tires a bit as soon as the turbo kicks in. Neither a pro or a con, just something to get used to. In the 2 years I have had very few problems. My left mirror cracked when I forgot to turn off the heated mirror. Easy driveway fix with either an OEM mirror or I went with a european convex mirror. Sometimes, when the radio is low, you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. Again, not a big deal with just a little music. Overall the TDI Passat is great! I get over 600 miles to a 18 gallon fill up when driving to and from work. On several road trips I've gotten almost 800 miles to the same 18-19 gallons! Thats amazing!"

falls short on the easy, every day details

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "fuel mileage and handling"

Cons: "tire noise, slow touch screen responses"

"a lot of road noise from tires and wind noise from passenger side windows. The reaction time on the touch screen is slow. There is a hesitation when you change radio stations, volume, and phone commands. you think it didn't receive the command so you hit it again and by then it is reacting to the first push. so by now the volume is too low or way too loud or you changed radio stations twice by now. same thing with the phone, you push the screen to answer it or hang up and nothing happens until you push the screen about three more times. The AM radio is terrible. Was told by VW that because of the dark tinted windows the AM radio won't work very good. The climate control doesn't keep the car at a constant temperature. i'm always having to change the temperature settings and fan speeds. I had a Toyota Camry that had a great climate control in it. I never touched it. HOWEVER, i love the fuel mileage and the handling of the car so I can over look these poor features but would i buy a VW Passat again??? not sure ?"

TDI is the only way to go

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, torque, DSG trans is awesome"

Cons: "radio/ navigation are outdated."

"I had my doubts about VW when I bought the Passat back in 2012 because I heard so many stories about the reliability. I looked at a few other sedans but opted for the TDI SE with the DSG. I have not regretted it for a single day. I went from a car with the worst transmission on the planet (a part italian owned big 3) to the BEST transmission out there. I put 87k miles on it and it still feels solid as the day I bought it. Maintenance is a bit more expensive for the TDI sure, but fuel economy makes up for it - and this is the ONLY car that I ever get better fuel economy that the EPA rating! My local VW dealer is very nice as well. I constantly get 42-43mpg on long hauls with the family. Phoenix to Las Vegas and back without stopping for fuel is nice too! I would recommend it highly."