2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,822 - $19,713.

10/8.0

Based on 122 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

nice ride huge trunk huge back seat

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, huge back seat area and trunk"

Cons: "wierd placement of steering wheel to drivers seat,"

"only had to fill up twice a month typically unless I had a long trip. The drivers side seat is off set to the steering wheel - something I did not notice until after the purchase and it bugged me. The vehicle ran great and I did not need to fill it up much which is AWESOME! plenty of room for passengers and luggage and golf clubs! Overall good and reliable car."

Ok

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "solid"

Cons: "radio ...."

"Solid sedan, great acceleration cheep radio. Cars that cost 10K less now days have better radio than this model."

2013 Passat S offers good value for your $$$

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Solid build, good handling, well laid out"

Cons: "Wish gas mileage was better"

"Bought my 2013 VW Passat S used, so I didn't have to deal with the break-in period. Car is solidly built and feels good on the road - that is, I feel connected to the road, but without the harsh ride of a sports car. The interior is well laid out, with everything within easy reach. Seats are comfortable and adjustable. While some (both pro and consumer) reviews malign the in-line 5 cylinder engine for its (seeming) lack of power and fuel economy, personally I've found the engine to offer all the power I need for most driving comditions (though there is a slight lag when you first step on the gas, but then it takes right off). But to off-set this, there is the "S"port gear that mimics the acceleration of a sports car if you need it - and can be shifted into and out of at any time. BIG trunk, and the legroom in the back seats is second to none in its class. Plus there is plenty of room for the driver and passenger. Road noise is low, and I LOVE having the Bluetooth for music and phone. Can't yet speak about reliability as I haven't had the car long enough, but other then my wish for better fuel economy (who doesn't wish for that?), I've found the basic version of the Passat to be a fine car for the money."

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, affordable& luxurious"

Cons: "No cons :)"

"I can't stop looking at this car.. I bought it in May of 2013 and I'm in love with it still. Everytime I park it I look back to see what it looks like lol I recommend buying this car because it's beautiful, luxurious, smooth and affordable."

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Price, fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "None so far"

"Great value. Drives like a high end sports car. Gets 40 MPG. Cost was very reasonable."

2013 volkswagon passat se tdi

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "GREAT PRICE AND FUN TO DRIVE"

"I HAVE OWNED THE VEHICLE FOR 18 MONTHS MILEAGE WAS LISTED AT 34 CITY 40 HWY. I AM GETTING 42 IN CITY OVER 50 MPG HIGHWAY. GREAT VEHICLE VERY DEPENDABLE RIDE IS QUIET AND SMOOTH.I AM STILL AMAZED AT THE MPG'S I AM GETTING. I DROVE THIS VEHICLE FROM LAKE CITY , FLORIDA TO MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE ON LESS THAN A TANK OF FUEL. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FUEL ECONOMY AND COMFORT THIS IS YOUR VEHICLE."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and excellent MPG"

Cons: "no backup camera or sensors on this version"

"This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned so far. I purchased a 2013 TDI SE version with the DSG transmission. I average over 40 MPG in mixed driving. Where I was filling up every week in my old vehicle I now can go 2 weeks on a fill up which is around 700 miles. Took the car on a trip to Atlanta and got over 50 MPG. And this is before the engine has gotten broken in. Have not a problem with the car. Interior room is extremely large and seats are comfortable. You can get similar mileage to a small hybrid car with the Passat yet you have a lot more room."

TDI SE Great fuel milage average 43 MPG

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Very enjoyable to drive."

Cons: "none so far"

"This is my 3 Passat and I just love this car it is very comfortable on long trips and has plenty of room. I realy like the DSG transmission and the TDI engine has plenty of power even with 4 adults and luggage."

So Far So Good

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Great lines, killer interior, bluetooth rocks"

Cons: "A little sluggish off the line"

"The jury is still out a bit as I just bought this 2012 Passat SE PZEV from a dealership last weekend. I had been driving a 99 BMW 528i for 10 years and have been amazed at all the techno in the Passat. The BlueTooth is fantastic to have, I get in the car, flip the iphone to BT and the car connects me automatically. The rear seating in enormous, it along with the longated rear windows reminds me of the older XJ12 Jags. The vehicle is a little sluggish off the line when excellerating but it might be due to the ac being on. Trunck is crazy huge, I could probably fit three golf bags back there and have some room left. The touchscreen entertainment system is a refreshing change from the 99 BMW 528i cassette player (right!!), The overall design is classic. This car will look good 10-15 years from now and I attribulte that to classic German engineering and design. There are clearly Audi influence in the overall presentation. The value seems to be there, we'll see."

Worse car and company ever

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "good fuel efficiency, spacious interior"

Cons: "unreliability and horrendous customer service/care"

"This car has been a nightmare for us. Around 41K mi, the engine light came on and we had to get the entire fuel system replaced. The dealership service center blamed it on a bad batch of diesel feul...suspect. About 1K mile later, engine light comes on again and we had to get a sensor replaced. same dealership service center said "sensors just fail sometimes." suspect...shouldn't happen on a 2 1/2 year old car. 45K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). VW of america customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware! loved the car until something went wrong. then it was a chain of reaction that got worse and worse. and this was just 2 and 1/2 years into ownership, didn't even reach 45K miles when major malfunctions occurred. you're really on your own since VW will not provide any customer care support. VW dealerships are also independent franchises so there's no guarantee of quality workmanship, even though they are "authorized dealers" and "authorized service centers" VW needs to stand behind their work and their customers. when something goes wrong in a car that is advertised as car of the year or family car of the year, take some responsibility for it. seems like once you give them your money, that's all they really care about, since they let dealerships do whatever and behave however they want, not ensuring any type of standard of quality in servicing or customer care. it's absolutely unacceptable. i've been completely disgusted and appalled by my experiences with this car and VW overall and hope this review helps others steer clear away from this car and this company."

great handling car with deceptively fast speed

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "excellent handling car at a reasonable price"

Cons: "defrosters ,defogger not too good,"

"I enjoy driving this car. I particularly like it's handling in all conditions and it's speed. I really don't have to push the pedal much and I am cruising above the limit.I don't speed often but once on a clear long stretch of highway I decided to see how fast the car would go. I was up to 110 m.p.h. and that was enough for me (I didn't want a ticket or jail time)The car accelerated with little effort and if I wanted to I know the 160 on the speedometer would not be a problem.That was a one time thing though, I like knowing that the car has some power but I enjoy driving at a safe speed. The thing is that it really surprises me sometimes when I look at the speedometer and my speed is higher than I thought, that's why I say it's deceptively fast.The car handles well and has a good feel for the road, you don't have that soft luxury feel but more of the feel of the road with some softness. I feel like I am driving in the Alps sometimes. It's not a bad looking car, in either sense of the word,looks similar to many other cars and the interior is not flashy. The trunk is huge and I think you can fold the seats down to make an area to transport things or even sleep in. I have not had to use it in those ways yet so I might be wrong on that. The seats are comfortable and they have to be manually adjusted which I don't mind because it's one less thing to be concerned about electrical wise. Overall it's a really good car and although I am leasing it I most likely will buy it at lease end.My lease has 21 months to go and hopefully in about 19 months I can start or find a thread about people who are also going to buy the 2013 passat when their lease ends and we can compare what the dealers are asking in price and fees and also appraisals."

Good car, but cost of ownership is ridiculous

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"I have a tdi and the mileage is great, I average about 43 on long trips in the summer and about 38 in the winter using premium diesel. Car drives great, but my main complaints is that the cost of ownership is ridiculous, the low profile tires don't allow for any quality tires, I am on my third set now and only have 75k miles on my car, oil changes are triple the cost of a normal oil change. I used to have a chevy Monte Carlo and I could get around 100k on those tires and I put over 300k miles on the that car with minimal repairs, I have already had several factory recalls and minor parts that have gone bad on the tdi, most have been under warranty but it makes me think this car won't last long. Not impressed with cost of ownership! I would not recommend to anyone unless they plan on spending 3k a year on oil changes and repairs and tires?"

Great highway mileage

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Highway Fuel Economy"

Cons: "Uncomfortable seat, HMI, no head room"

"I own the 2014, and I cannot wait to get rid of it. YES, THE HIGHWAY FUEL MILEAGE IS AMAZING. Try driving any competitor midsize sedan at 78 mph and be lucky to top 28 mpg (I get 43 mpg), and that's if you're in a 4-cylinder and not getting ran off the road by a semi while pulling out on the interstate. I will give the TDI credit there, while the 0-60 is not so great- the 60-80 (which is what matters here)is decent enough (better than a 4 cylinder or hybrid that engages the gasoline engine at this point. The highway MPG basically boils down to how close to 1900-2000 RPM you can get while in 6th gear, the closer the better. The trunk is like a cave. You can go spelunking in there. Oh and legroom, but we will get to that. NOW FOR THE CONS: Do not let the commercial with the guy doing donuts in a Passat or the "turbo" fool you, this is not by any means a fast car. From the gearing to the single turbo, it was made for one thing and that is fuel economy. But like I said, it still fares better on the interstate than most hybrids. The front seats, no planar tilt. Seat adjusts up and forward or down and back. YOU WILL NOT FIND A COMFORTABLE SPOT. Go ahead, drive it for 1 hour back and forth to work and tell me how your back feels. And I have the best seats they offer. Not to mention you can feel the seat heaters. I am 6' 190 lbs and I cannot get comfortable. No head room.Plenty of legroom, but no headroom- which makes for an odd combination (gives almost a feeling of vertigo). THE HUMAN MACHINE INTERFACE FOR THE NAVIGATION AND RADIO IS POORLY ENGINEERED. Ever draw anything on MS Paint? That is literally how easy it is to configure a layout on a touchscreen. The buttons are touchy, yet there impact locations are hard to find, so you will swipe at it and press the wrong thing 9/10. IT IS HORRIBLY SLOW. The back-up camera, the push buttons, the screen changes. All of it. Slow. This tells me that the RAM is near full with the new updates for 2014, and instead of compensating, they just pushed forward with the absolute worst in the midsize market. Where are the LED headlights? Not even an option. I understand the urea. I get emissions. But why is the filler cap in the trunk? Do you know what happens if you ever spill it? It crystallizes and instantly bonds to whatever it comes in contact with. Oh and it will leave you stranded when you run out, as in the car will not start. Keep it filled yeah, but that is just one more thing you have to stress about besides not putting bad diesel in it. The Fender sound system is alright, but once you couple it with the horrible interface and the "why in the cosmos did they make that silly plug for the iPod thing" they have, expectations fall short. The remote start? Shuts off as soon as you open the door. No, you cannot change it. Oh, and hopefully they remove the shipping spacers in the coils. If you drive over a bump and hear a loud thud (and you didn't run over a turtle), they are still there."

2 years and I still love it! Buy the TDI !!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage!"

Cons: "Diesel takes a while to get used to. Turbo lag"

"I purchased my 2012 VW Passat TDI SE just about 2 years ago when this body style first came out. As an owner of a 2010 Jetta (Wolfsburg) I liked the fit and finish of the Jetta however the gas 2.0T in it was killing me in the mileage department. I was pleasently supprised by Passat. The fit and finish, ammenities, and handling between the two cars were comperable. However the intirior and trunk were so much more spacious than I thought they would be. The automatic transmisssion is quick and firm. It shifts nicely at all speeds and RPMs. The brakes are firm. However the low RPM turbo lag takes a little while to get used to. It is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination but it will get up and go when you need it to. But if you somp on the gas from a stop, you will probably spin the tires a bit as soon as the turbo kicks in. Neither a pro or a con, just something to get used to. In the 2 years I have had very few problems. My left mirror cracked when I forgot to turn off the heated mirror. Easy driveway fix with either an OEM mirror or I went with a european convex mirror. Sometimes, when the radio is low, you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. Again, not a big deal with just a little music. Overall the TDI Passat is great! I get over 600 miles to a 18 gallon fill up when driving to and from work. On several road trips I've gotten almost 800 miles to the same 18-19 gallons! Thats amazing!"

Another TDI for sure

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Good value, comfort, roominess, gas mileage."

Cons: "Rides a bit loud, but that may be the tires."

"This has been a great car. My last Volkswagen was my then new 1972 bus, and my last diesel was a then new 1979 Peugeot. Wow, how things have improved. The design and quality of this VW Passat has not gotten old for me. The comfort and interior conveniences are a real value and the efficiency and dependability of the turbo diesel have made this car a real delight to own and drive. I was so pleased with the TDI and Volkswagen, that I bought my wife a Jetta TDI sportswagen and is she is extremely pleased with that. Overall, my next car will most likely be either another VW (or I may step up to an Audi), with a TDI engine!"

Excellent car and a great value

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, sleek design, dependable"

"I leased this car brand new and have put on 31,000 miles. So far the only non-scheduled maintenance issue I've had was a headlight that shorted out and was replaced under warranty. The car rides very smooth, is comfortable and reliable. I love having the XM Satelite radio. The leather seats are comfortable. The car is stylish, but also comfortable for long trips. I plan to purchase at the end of the lease."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

sporty and quick, comfortable, 45+ mpg

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "everything about this vehicle is solid"

"We have out grown a sedan but this is a great vehicle, our daughter liked ours so much she bought one. Everyone is surprised at how quick and comfortable this vehicle is."

Outstanding comfort and proformance

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, with plenty of pep"

"I have driven this vehicle from NW Florida to Upstate New York twice. The 2013 TDI Passat is sporty with plenty of zip and averages 45+ miles to the gallon. Additionally with the exception of my Duramax I have never had a car or truck that would go up and down the mountains without down shifting. The Passat TDI handles this with no trouble. Front / rear seating and leg room is comfortable. Fender sound system is great. Navigation system is easy to use."

Really nice at this time - could be better

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Pleasant styling, lots of standard equipment."

Cons: "No leather seating available...a big mistake."

"After driving a Lincoln MKZ for 7 years, it was time to trade. The car has a good ride and feel to it, except for the seats...with their synthetic cloth inserts. How can it be that a car listing for over $32K doesn't offer leather seating? This fabric really grabs your butt and makes it hard to get in and out. The only 'repair' so far was a poorly mounted sub-woofer for the Fender audio system that rattled something that was loose when something with a lot of base is played. And it's going to take a while to get used to the "clutch" feeling when I take my foot off the brake pedal. According to the dealer, these cars have a type of clutch that disengages the automatic transmission if a sensor realizes the brake pedal is being held down...like at a stoplight. If you move your foot too quickly and step on the gas, the transmission isn't quite engaged and there can be a "clunking" feeling. He said I'll get used to it."

Fantastic handling, reliability, and fuel mileage

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel mileage and economical to run."

Cons: "Needs 4 wheel drive option."

"This vehicle has been amazing. I love the handling and performance. Overall appearance is very rich looking. Very comfortable over long trips."

Great Mileage / reliability

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"Had serviced this week. Mechanic said brakes looked brand new at 70,000. Service at dealer was very poor. Found that my mechanic would do service if I bought parts. Special oil required is big downer. Maintenance parts are over priced and very limited outside of dealer. Look at internet."

Great family roadtrip vehicle.

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

"TDI gets better than claimed mileage. No problems with winter/diesel issues. Great rear seat leg room. Sporty handling. Torque of the diesel is impressive."

excellent car

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "very comfortable car."

Cons: "no rear view camera."

"I have owned the above car for 2 years now. I bought the gasoline version of the Passat. Outside of routine maintenance, I have had no problems. In fact, the 1st 2 years of maintenance cost me nothing. I would consider buying another one, but I think this time I would buy the diesel version in the top of the line Passat."