2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,384 - $19,533.

10/8.0

Based on 169 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

Well done VW!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Price, Fuel Efficiency, Space, Look"

Cons: "Premium features not available with Man Trans"

"Not much to complain about here, LOVE this car. Bought August 2012 fresh off shipping rig. Made in America, (love it) and absolutely amazing gas mileage. I've been keeping track and TOTAL mpg in my Passat TDI across the life of the vehicle is nearly 49. So the 42 highway rating on the sticker is a laugh, bump it up another 10 to 52 and thats more accurate. Warranty is great, I did have a malfunctioning turbo which the dealer told me was very rare. Replaced and back in the car within 5 days. Before that, VW actually sent an engineer to meet with me (from TX all the way to WV to talk to a 24 year old. I was impressed.) based on my comments from my JD Power survey answers. I wasn't happy with the tires, so they replaced them! So my experience as a whole has been great. The interior is just clean. Great tech standard with heated seats, bluetooth etc. Also, not a ton of pickup and power but still fun to drive. Doesn't have quite the same handling as a GTI or loaded Jetta, bulky turns were a little surprising. I was dissapointed that i could not get the 6 spd manual tranny with all the bells and whistles like sunroof, fender sound, 18 in wheels, body trim and NAV becuase I would have shelled out the extra dough. This car is just so WELL put together and so efficient that I can't not be thrilled with it. Overall a 10, reliability is still kind of up in the air due to turbo issue, but that has been my only one to date. Simple controls, tons of trunk space, rear leg room you have to see to believe. The list goes on and on. Love my TDi!"

it's a great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "no xenon lights"

"the car is amazing except for the week headlight hade them remained under warranty but they are not xenon lights so they are dim"

Best Sedan out there

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Roominess, Solid build"

Cons: "Pricey but MPG compensates with TDI"

"Love this car and the MPG. Been on multiple family trips with room to spare and really cheap fuel costs. Can't beat it! Comfortable, reliable, and a great car to drive."

great handling car with deceptively fast speed

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "excellent handling car at a reasonable price"

Cons: "defrosters ,defogger not too good,"

"I enjoy driving this car. I particularly like it's handling in all conditions and it's speed. I really don't have to push the pedal much and I am cruising above the limit.I don't speed often but once on a clear long stretch of highway I decided to see how fast the car would go. I was up to 110 m.p.h. and that was enough for me (I didn't want a ticket or jail time)The car accelerated with little effort and if I wanted to I know the 160 on the speedometer would not be a problem.That was a one time thing though, I like knowing that the car has some power but I enjoy driving at a safe speed. The thing is that it really surprises me sometimes when I look at the speedometer and my speed is higher than I thought, that's why I say it's deceptively fast.The car handles well and has a good feel for the road, you don't have that soft luxury feel but more of the feel of the road with some softness. I feel like I am driving in the Alps sometimes. It's not a bad looking car, in either sense of the word,looks similar to many other cars and the interior is not flashy. The trunk is huge and I think you can fold the seats down to make an area to transport things or even sleep in. I have not had to use it in those ways yet so I might be wrong on that. The seats are comfortable and they have to be manually adjusted which I don't mind because it's one less thing to be concerned about electrical wise. Overall it's a really good car and although I am leasing it I most likely will buy it at lease end.My lease has 21 months to go and hopefully in about 19 months I can start or find a thread about people who are also going to buy the 2013 passat when their lease ends and we can compare what the dealers are asking in price and fees and also appraisals."

So far, best vehicle I've owned (SEL TDI Prem)

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, and fun to drive, lots of room."

Cons: "Nav system could be better."

"Had a VW Rabbit diesel back in 1978. Swore I would never have another VW, not b/c of the car, but b/c of the dealer and VW attitude. We shopped and drove Toyota, Honda, Ford, Nissan, & Kia. Only looked at VW b/c son in law ask me to ck it out. I was not the least bit interested in a diesel. Our test drive was in an SE TDI. It sold me! I did have concern about long term upkeep. Almost bought the Accord, but glad we settled on the Passat SEL. This car is a pleasure to drive. In 8000+ miles it has ave an actual 44+MPG. Seating is very comfortable for both wife & me. Able to go 700 miles in one day with no back issues, like we had in our Acura TL. Just get the Nav Sys updated and it will be perfect. Just hoping for 200,000+ miles without any issues. I think the complains about interior are unfounded. This car cost $31,000, not $45,000. If you want a 'better' interior but an Audi."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Economical, Reliable, Stylish, Great Value"

Cons: "NONE- Even after driving 18 Months and 22,000mi"

"Great mileage > 50 MPG highway, enough power, quiet ride. Purchased it new, and very pleased with everything. A few nice surprises like when open door a light turns on below door to light up ground, great Fender acoustic sound. Plenty of power for passing at 70MPH plus, rides extremely well at highway speed."

Performance of a sports car in a mid size sedan

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "MPG handling performance great looking comfortable"

2012 Passat 5 spd

"Absolutely love driving this Passat. The looks and performance especially with the 5 speed manual transmission makes this a great sports sedan that fits five comfortably. I also get 32-36 MPG consistently on the H/W."

2012 Passat 5 spd