2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,384 - $19,533.

10/8.0

Based on 168 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Good looking vehicle with great MPG - TDI

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Great Value, Design, MPG, comfort, handling"

Cons: "may have electronic issues... :/"

"switched from a Camry Hybrid to the 2012 Passat TDI. The Passat has all the bells and whistles as compared to the Camry Hybrid basically at a comperable price. Camry had no leather or navigation. The Passat has it all and i bought it because it is a great value. Car drives great, handles awesome, fuel consumption seems to be great as well (too soon to rate at only 800 miles so far). I am a bit dissapointed as my car seems to have a electronic problem. There are times where i get in the vehicle and a warning indicator says "key not detected", when the key is in my pocket and should work. Can't start the car as it is a push start and does not have a traditional ignition to put a key in. The car is also equipped with a remote starter. Unfortunately that seems to only work when it wants to... just like with the key. I will be going back to the dealership so that hopefully they can fix this annoying problem."

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

Awesome!!!

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "I look forward to driving it. This is unusual 4 me"

Cons: "Upgrade the audio if standard."

"Car is not peppy, forces you to drive the way we should be driving. Value is great vs. hybrid alternative. Drives like a BMW, gas like a corolla, refined like an Audi."

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."

2013 TDI SEL, great car

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "ride, mpgs, kessey, seating, trunk space"

Cons: "not able to disable stability control"

"I've had the 2013 TDI SEL for 3 months and 3000 miles. The only real negatives I can find fault with at the price point of $33k is the inability to turn off the various stability control nannies and that chains are not recommended due to clearance issues between the strut assembly and the inside of the wheel. The engine has tons of torque from 1200 t0 2800 rpms. This is extrememly useable torque that provides snappy acceleration in the speed bands that are most usually driven. The keyless Kessy system is a joy. The ride quality is exceptional, and interior noise is extremely low, especially at crusing speeds. Seating is very supportive and comfortable. The Fender stereo is better than average, but certainly no Wow factor with it. The radio navigation system takes a bit of getting used to, but I find I can live with it without getting too annoyed. Ride quality on America's decaying road system was a main consideration when purchasing the car, and even though I don't put many miles on the car per year, one thing for sure and certain is fuel costs are not going to go down, and if I keep this car for the decade or so I usually keep a car, I can only shudder at what the price of fuel will be in 10 years. I'm getting mid 30s around small town driving on secondary roads and in the low 40s during freeway driving. Headlights on high were exactly perfect for me, as I really dislike HID projection beams with their driving in a pipe style light cutoffs. The low beams were not adequate for secondary road driving and I replaced them with higher wattage bulbs which solved the problem. At the price point of the top end of the Passat line, one is looking at the low end of the Mercedes and BMWs, and other than prestige of name, the Passat is a hands down better value, and even according to Automobile magazine, the ride on the Passat is of higher quality than the BMW 3 series diesel. Full sized spare tire and fold down back seats are major pluses too. Dashboard is nicely laid out without too much clutter and good visibility of the instrument cluster. Bluetooth phone interface is very good. The regen system for self cleaning of diesel soot is something that VW should have a dashboard monitoring of, but I guess they are worried it will confuse drivers. I really could not be much happier with the Passat. Sure cars that cost 50% more have nicer interiors, but none of them get better MPGs on the Freeway. Lastly, if you are looking for a car for urban driving and rare trips to the countryside or freeway, the Passat TDI is not your best choice, probably a Toyota Hybrid would be better due to the regeneration braking systems,and the fact that the Passat TDI would rarely achive obtimum engine/driving temperature, which is very important for diesels."