2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,909 - $19,736.

10/8.0

Based on 110 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

2 years and I still love it! Buy the TDI !!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage!"

Cons: "Diesel takes a while to get used to. Turbo lag"

"I purchased my 2012 VW Passat TDI SE just about 2 years ago when this body style first came out. As an owner of a 2010 Jetta (Wolfsburg) I liked the fit and finish of the Jetta however the gas 2.0T in it was killing me in the mileage department. I was pleasently supprised by Passat. The fit and finish, ammenities, and handling between the two cars were comperable. However the intirior and trunk were so much more spacious than I thought they would be. The automatic transmisssion is quick and firm. It shifts nicely at all speeds and RPMs. The brakes are firm. However the low RPM turbo lag takes a little while to get used to. It is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination but it will get up and go when you need it to. But if you somp on the gas from a stop, you will probably spin the tires a bit as soon as the turbo kicks in. Neither a pro or a con, just something to get used to. In the 2 years I have had very few problems. My left mirror cracked when I forgot to turn off the heated mirror. Easy driveway fix with either an OEM mirror or I went with a european convex mirror. Sometimes, when the radio is low, you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. Again, not a big deal with just a little music. Overall the TDI Passat is great! I get over 600 miles to a 18 gallon fill up when driving to and from work. On several road trips I've gotten almost 800 miles to the same 18-19 gallons! Thats amazing!"

Another TDI for sure

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "Good value, comfort, roominess, gas mileage."

Cons: "Rides a bit loud, but that may be the tires."

"This has been a great car. My last Volkswagen was my then new 1972 bus, and my last diesel was a then new 1979 Peugeot. Wow, how things have improved. The design and quality of this VW Passat has not gotten old for me. The comfort and interior conveniences are a real value and the efficiency and dependability of the turbo diesel have made this car a real delight to own and drive. I was so pleased with the TDI and Volkswagen, that I bought my wife a Jetta TDI sportswagen and is she is extremely pleased with that. Overall, my next car will most likely be either another VW (or I may step up to an Audi), with a TDI engine!"

Excellent car and a great value

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, sleek design, dependable"

"I leased this car brand new and have put on 31,000 miles. So far the only non-scheduled maintenance issue I've had was a headlight that shorted out and was replaced under warranty. The car rides very smooth, is comfortable and reliable. I love having the XM Satelite radio. The leather seats are comfortable. The car is stylish, but also comfortable for long trips. I plan to purchase at the end of the lease."

Very nice car

"Abc"

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

sporty and quick, comfortable, 45+ mpg

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "everything about this vehicle is solid"

"We have out grown a sedan but this is a great vehicle, our daughter liked ours so much she bought one. Everyone is surprised at how quick and comfortable this vehicle is."

Outstanding comfort and proformance

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, with plenty of pep"

"I have driven this vehicle from NW Florida to Upstate New York twice. The 2013 TDI Passat is sporty with plenty of zip and averages 45+ miles to the gallon. Additionally with the exception of my Duramax I have never had a car or truck that would go up and down the mountains without down shifting. The Passat TDI handles this with no trouble. Front / rear seating and leg room is comfortable. Fender sound system is great. Navigation system is easy to use."

Really nice at this time - could be better

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Pleasant styling, lots of standard equipment."

Cons: "No leather seating available...a big mistake."

"After driving a Lincoln MKZ for 7 years, it was time to trade. The car has a good ride and feel to it, except for the seats...with their synthetic cloth inserts. How can it be that a car listing for over $32K doesn't offer leather seating? This fabric really grabs your butt and makes it hard to get in and out. The only 'repair' so far was a poorly mounted sub-woofer for the Fender audio system that rattled something that was loose when something with a lot of base is played. And it's going to take a while to get used to the "clutch" feeling when I take my foot off the brake pedal. According to the dealer, these cars have a type of clutch that disengages the automatic transmission if a sensor realizes the brake pedal is being held down...like at a stoplight. If you move your foot too quickly and step on the gas, the transmission isn't quite engaged and there can be a "clunking" feeling. He said I'll get used to it."

Fantastic handling, reliability, and fuel mileage

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel mileage and economical to run."

Cons: "Needs 4 wheel drive option."

"This vehicle has been amazing. I love the handling and performance. Overall appearance is very rich looking. Very comfortable over long trips."

Great Mileage / reliability

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"Had serviced this week. Mechanic said brakes looked brand new at 70,000. Service at dealer was very poor. Found that my mechanic would do service if I bought parts. Special oil required is big downer. Maintenance parts are over priced and very limited outside of dealer. Look at internet."

Great family roadtrip vehicle.

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

"TDI gets better than claimed mileage. No problems with winter/diesel issues. Great rear seat leg room. Sporty handling. Torque of the diesel is impressive."

excellent car

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "very comfortable car."

Cons: "no rear view camera."

"I have owned the above car for 2 years now. I bought the gasoline version of the Passat. Outside of routine maintenance, I have had no problems. In fact, the 1st 2 years of maintenance cost me nothing. I would consider buying another one, but I think this time I would buy the diesel version in the top of the line Passat."

I love the car

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "great ride"

Cons: "not many"

"great car , great gas mileage"

Great leg room, good handling, great gas mileage

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Best car for the price"

"This car has lots of leg room in front and back seats. Gas mileage is better than projected - some days I average over 50/mpg during my 33 mile one-way commute. Great handling and response which really surprises me for a 4 cylinder diesel. Trunk space is almost as much as my wife's SUV."

Would not buy it again

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, engine seems good."

Cons: "Poor build quality of the interior. Rattles."

"Loved my car when I first bought it. Fun to drive, seemed solidly built, and a unique looking car compared to your Honda and Toyota competitors. If I had to do it all over again I would NOT buy this car. My reasoning may be a little picky, but I'm one of those car people who likes my car to be virtually rattle free. This car rattles a lot due to a poor fit/finish. I've had parts replaced on the interior, paid for by the dealer, which obviously showed the poor quality of the interior of the car. In addition to the rattles/squeaks, VW is still in the ice age when it comes to technology. The backup camera hasa no beeping sound, the stereo/NAV/backup cam are so slow to boot up when you start the car that you're usually well on your way before the backup cam comes on. If you're one of those who doesn't care about the fit/finish of your car and truly wants a car to get you from point A to point B then it's fine. The car is fun to drive and responsive, but the rattles and poor build quality of the interor are a deal breaker for me. Can't wait until it's paid off so I can trade it. I will never buy a VW again..."

Best mid-size car out there!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

"We have had 2 other mid-size cars. My wife and I ask ourselves why we waited this long to buy a VW. For our Wedding Anniversary, we were planning a trip to California, making a loop thru the southern states and returning via the northern part of the USA. After shopping several other cars, we decided the Passat was for us; excellent road-handling, firm suspension, just-right seats, quiet engine, great MPG, etc. All 8,000+ or our Journey was delightful ."

I absolutely love this car

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "nice touring Sedan for road trips"

Cons: "I probably would have opted for the SEL / TDI"

"This car is a lease and has been a joy to drive I have had no issues with it and it has performed well even this winter which was harsh on the car and the roads... handled well on snow and ice... interior is comfortable and heated seated were a plus... Had no maintenance issues or recalls. overall this car has been a joy to own. :-)"

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."

the car does everything great!

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "price for features, fun torque, mileage."

Cons: "only 2 12v power ports & 1 ipad port."

"the car drives great, leg room, head room, performance, mileage, comfort, quiet, features, radio/sound system, just everything. ps. i do not sell cars, and did own 2013 chevy impala, test drove 2014 impala, toyota, honda. i more i drive it the more i like it!"

Performance of a sports car in a mid size sedan

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "MPG handling performance great looking comfortable"

2012 Passat 5 spd

"Absolutely love driving this Passat. The looks and performance especially with the 5 speed manual transmission makes this a great sports sedan that fits five comfortably. I also get 32-36 MPG consistently on the H/W."

2012 Passat 5 spd

lov the mpg

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "great price and money saver"

Cons: "nothing so far"

"awesome car , diesel but it has a lot of torque which make is it very fast very quick . Right now I am getting around 34 mpg mixed driving . Interior design is nice doesn't look cheap like some of the other cars in its class . Very satisfied with my Passat tdi"

good car

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "very good comfortable ride"

Cons: "needs better gas mileage"

"very good car. it does need to do better on mileage. i own a 2005 dodge ram 1500 that does better on gas mileage."

Jury still out

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Style, Truck, and leg room in back seat"

Cons: "Bluetooth, Heat"

"Leased a 2013 Passat. Had a BMW. Okay, I know 2 different cars. But, here are some issues with the volks. First, the Bluetooth is horrible. Many times the car will not call out, or repeats the same information, like would you like to call home, I say no, and the Bluetooth will start calling. 2nd problem with auto, is the heat. You don't get a lot of it, and it always starts off with the AC on. Its 30 degrees out, I don't want the AC on, and it doesn't matter if I turn it off or leave it on, the car only gets really warm after 30 minutes of driving. I only work 10 minutes away. I have tried warming it up in the AM, and it still ready doesn't make a big difference. Also, the fan in high position is really loud. Tonight the car fogged up, driving down the road after 20 minutes of driving. I mean all fogged up, all windows including the windshield, I turned to defrost up on high and I couldn't see a thing. I called Dealership, and they stated that any moisture in the car from the rubber floor monster matts can cause this problem. Dealership recommended to run car with A/C on high to dry out car. Okay, New England winters, I'm going to have to do this each time it snows and the mats get wet? (didn't have this issue, with BMW, My Ford Truck, or Chevy cars) I got the car for the style, but its not going to pretty around a tree, because I can't see. I started to look at other lease deals."