2013 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 184 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Outstanding Fuel Economy and Comfort

By on Sunday, September 20, 2015

Pros: "Mileage, price, looks great"

Cons: "Quality, reliability, price to fix"

"I've had this car for about a year and a half and have been to 15 states with it now and through just about every terrain and weather. It's very equipped to handle snow as long as you have snow tires on it (lived in the snow-belt for a year in Ohio) but is absolutely incredible on long road trips. The back seat room is outstanding and for a smaller car, the trunk is decent sized. It's incredibly comfortable, well dressed with the goodies on the inside, and again, the mileage is just incredible. I've gone from the Cleveland area to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina on almost one tank. To Manhattan and almost back... on one tank. And most recently from Dallas to Hot Springs, Arkansas and BACK on one tank. By far the best thing about this car is the mileage averaging close to 750 mies on a tank if you're easy on the pedal which can sometimes be tough with the torque being so high and fun to hit it. Now the bad... It's extremely expensive to have work done on it, but buying foreign you kind of have the mindset that it's inevitable, and by the way, you can't get windshield wipers just anywhere... they're specialized. I think it's every 20,000 miles, the dealership is required to go through the car completely with new fluids, all the good stuff which will set you back nearly $1000 each time. Kind of dumb... I've had the power steering just about go out completely on an s-curve and have never had the comfort in the car since. The DEF fluid goes in the trunk which is impossible to fill up without getting it on everything and there is no gauge in the car to tell you when you're almost out until it's too late. If you're driving city, it's not bad since it's almost out at oil change intervals and the dealer can do it. But if you're driving long distances, it seems to go through it much faster. The interior quality is by far my biggest gripe with this car. If you drive it far enough, long enough, you will have more rattles than your brain can almost process. I have a LARGE rattle in more than 5 places in the car's interior --- literally. It's been in the shop numerous times for it but somehow no one can ever find the rattles, surprise. The road noise is amazing too --- it's LOUD on the highway. For a foreign car, this is at the bottom in interior quality. In short, this car has much, much more life left in it but the bad is outweighing the good, I am now looking at other options on getting another vehicle. Buy if you love amazing mileage but can put up with quite a lot of low-quality-car-like symptoms. This car is like the crazy ex, fun at times but you have to put up with a lot..."

Not happy with VW

By on Friday, January 22, 2016

Pros: "fuel milage"

Cons: "routine maintenance cost not good"

"Unsatisfied with the pickup speed of car, headlights and space in trunk. Although the truck space looks big, the hinges to the truck door take up a lot of space in the truck and I find this feature inconvenient. Very dissatisfied with cost of routine maintenance of oil changes and required gas additive. I will not purchase another diesel auto. Lights for night driving are not good. Seating space is roomy."

Best car I've owned

By on Saturday, January 16, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, torquey zip, ride/feel is tight"

Cons: "Slo-mo infortainment system"

"I bought my VW Passat TDI SEL Premium due to it's value, fuel mileage, and huge back seat and trunk. Am I disappointed about the VW 'diesel-gate', sure, but the car itself is fantastic for me. I am confident, despite the bad press, that VW will make things right, however painful to them it might be. I would buy another one today if I had too! I like the clean, understated classic lines of the exterior and the Germanic functional interior, both look like they won't go out of style anytime soon. I average 42 mpg in my 50/50 city/hwy commute and typically go 675 - 735 miles per tank before filling up. Low fuel prices makes it even better, but not having to stop to fill-up so often is a key reason why I like it so much. I would have given full "10's" on everything, but the infotainment system lags a bit and not as responsive as other makes. That has been fixed for 2016 models - too bad the TDI is offered for sale right now - hope it comes back!"

Dont overlook the VW Passat TDI

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Great price; good design; comfortable ride; TDI"

Cons: "Rear view mirrors should be more squared"

"Liked the rather simple but refined styling of the 2012 Passat, so I walked out of the dealer with one. I never thought I would choose the TDI (Clean diesel) but on the test drive I liked its spunk and quiet ride...Very roomy interior, back seat/leg room near cavernous. Interior is simple, "clean", and intuitive. Car handles very well, comfortable ride. Seats are very comfortable and supportive as well. You can get German engineering and simplicity of design in a value priced, now AMERICAN BUILT mid size sedan...with a clean diesel as well. Not much more one could ask for in a practical, well designed, well built and nicely priced sedan....The Passat TDI should be high on your list, especially if you don't really want to portray a big ego about the ride you drive."

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."