2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 190 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

2013 TDI SEL, great car

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "ride, mpgs, kessey, seating, trunk space"

Cons: "not able to disable stability control"

"I've had the 2013 TDI SEL for 3 months and 3000 miles. The only real negatives I can find fault with at the price point of $33k is the inability to turn off the various stability control nannies and that chains are not recommended due to clearance issues between the strut assembly and the inside of the wheel. The engine has tons of torque from 1200 t0 2800 rpms. This is extrememly useable torque that provides snappy acceleration in the speed bands that are most usually driven. The keyless Kessy system is a joy. The ride quality is exceptional, and interior noise is extremely low, especially at crusing speeds. Seating is very supportive and comfortable. The Fender stereo is better than average, but certainly no Wow factor with it. The radio navigation system takes a bit of getting used to, but I find I can live with it without getting too annoyed. Ride quality on America's decaying road system was a main consideration when purchasing the car, and even though I don't put many miles on the car per year, one thing for sure and certain is fuel costs are not going to go down, and if I keep this car for the decade or so I usually keep a car, I can only shudder at what the price of fuel will be in 10 years. I'm getting mid 30s around small town driving on secondary roads and in the low 40s during freeway driving. Headlights on high were exactly perfect for me, as I really dislike HID projection beams with their driving in a pipe style light cutoffs. The low beams were not adequate for secondary road driving and I replaced them with higher wattage bulbs which solved the problem. At the price point of the top end of the Passat line, one is looking at the low end of the Mercedes and BMWs, and other than prestige of name, the Passat is a hands down better value, and even according to Automobile magazine, the ride on the Passat is of higher quality than the BMW 3 series diesel. Full sized spare tire and fold down back seats are major pluses too. Dashboard is nicely laid out without too much clutter and good visibility of the instrument cluster. Bluetooth phone interface is very good. The regen system for self cleaning of diesel soot is something that VW should have a dashboard monitoring of, but I guess they are worried it will confuse drivers. I really could not be much happier with the Passat. Sure cars that cost 50% more have nicer interiors, but none of them get better MPGs on the Freeway. Lastly, if you are looking for a car for urban driving and rare trips to the countryside or freeway, the Passat TDI is not your best choice, probably a Toyota Hybrid would be better due to the regeneration braking systems,and the fact that the Passat TDI would rarely achive obtimum engine/driving temperature, which is very important for diesels."

Awesome car! Get one you won't be disappointed

By on Friday, July 20, 2012

Pros: "Price, great ride, fuel economy, comfort, style"

Cons: "tire road noise, not cars fault"

"After renting one on vacation I was hooked! Purchased pre-owned 2012 Passat SE 2.5L from Carmax 4800 miles on the clock. I have to say very impressive mileage based on my normal speed limit driving. I average 29-32 mpg combined with ac running and four people which adds weight. This car is so nicely appointed with standard amenities found on more expensive vehicles and comfortable on long trips it's just amazing. It is a lot of car for the money, there is nothing left for me to desire on it. The room is unbelievable and the seats are so comfortable. There is tons of storage locations, and overall sporty luxury. Fit and finish that rivals really high end cars. Maintenance included 3/36 can't be beat. Best of all German engineering and built in America. Great Job!"

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Too much fun!!!

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pros: "Well thought out features, big trunk, great value!"

Cons: "None. Wish I could spend more time driving!"

"Can't believe how well laid out this car is. Everything is exactly within reach and easy to operate. Love the Bluetooth so I can stream my music while I drive and I can control the radio and answer the phone with controls mounted on the steering wheel. The trunk is so big that I don't have to use the seats and floor inside the car like I used to with my old car when I bought groceries. This baby can hold a lot of stuff! The seats and interior are so comfortable it feels like they belong in a more expensive luxury car. I can't believe how luxurious this car is for such a great price. Definitely a great value for the price. The engine provides more than enough power and doesn't feel like it's just 2.5 liters. It's not sluggish like other cars I've drove in the past with small engines. The exterior is also very well designed and attractive for a midsize family sedan. Who says you can't be sporty when you have four doors? I love, love, love everything about this car! I just wish I had discovered VW a long time ago!"

Excellent Value, Excellent Fuel Economy, Sporty

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Reason: Wife wanted something bigger

Pros: "Handling, Value, MPG, Radio, Roomy back+trunk"

Cons: "Stiff front seats, Low prestige"

bye bye

"I bought the 2.5 Gas SE with Sunroof. List was $26+K, I paid just over $23K and got 1.9% for 66 mos. so the car was an excellent value. I put 21,000 miles on it and sold it for $17K, not too bad for owning it 1.5 years. I never had any issues and the dealer took care of all the maint for free. The car was plenty large enough for 4, and was pleasant to drive. Averaged 28.5 MPG overall with very little highway driving. Mileage actually improved as the car broke in. The car is a blast to drive on backroads but the seats are a little stiff for long hauls. The A/C and Radio are top notch as are the heated seats and sunroof. Really a great value over Accord or Camry if saving money is important to you. I ended up trading it for a Buick Lacrosse CXL only because my wife and I wanted something large and plush for long rides to Disney, ect. I'm sure the VW would be cheaper to own and run but we just missed the luxury and are willing to fork over another $100 a month to have it"

bye bye