2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 195 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Best Passat Yet and American

By on Friday, July 8, 2016

Pros: "Fit, finish, mpg, ride, handling, quiet,"

Cons: "Dieselgate"

"This is my second Passat a TDI. My first was a 2003 6 cylinder. This is also my 5th VW. Had a 09 Jetta TDI, 03 Jetta diesel, and 2002 Bug. I like the handling and build of VW's. I do a lot of driving and all have been great road cars. My 2015 Passat SE TDI is the best yet and made in America right in my home state. This car has great road manners, fit and finish is the best. I drove this car from Tucson to Cookeville packed to the gills and still got 50 mpg. Love the backup camera all cars need this. The car is so quiet on the road. The transmission and engine are a perfect match. I drive it mostly in the economy mode. It's no slug and I still get great mpg. This car is not boring like a Camry or Accord and its not a BMW but then I didn't pay for a BMW either. I've had an issue with the check engine light. The fault says too much oxygen, probably part of the EPA issues. Now I wait and see what or if there is a fix and what it will do to the economy and performance."

Too much fun!!!

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pros: "Well thought out features, big trunk, great value!"

Cons: "None. Wish I could spend more time driving!"

"Can't believe how well laid out this car is. Everything is exactly within reach and easy to operate. Love the Bluetooth so I can stream my music while I drive and I can control the radio and answer the phone with controls mounted on the steering wheel. The trunk is so big that I don't have to use the seats and floor inside the car like I used to with my old car when I bought groceries. This baby can hold a lot of stuff! The seats and interior are so comfortable it feels like they belong in a more expensive luxury car. I can't believe how luxurious this car is for such a great price. Definitely a great value for the price. The engine provides more than enough power and doesn't feel like it's just 2.5 liters. It's not sluggish like other cars I've drove in the past with small engines. The exterior is also very well designed and attractive for a midsize family sedan. Who says you can't be sporty when you have four doors? I love, love, love everything about this car! I just wish I had discovered VW a long time ago!"

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."

Extremely comfortable

By on Monday, March 9, 2015

Pros: "comfortable - great milage"

Cons: "a few issues have had me at the dealer too often"

"I have just completed 14000 miles of winter driving in MI, WI and MN in a 2015 TDI SEL Passat. Best winter car I have ever driven and I have had AWD's before. Sure footed, very functional traction control and a very solid ride. Great Mileage at approx. 46 mpg highway and city combined (mostly highway miles). A few annoying glitches to begin with. The only complaint is the entertainment center/radio ridiculously slow and does not work at all in really cold temps. But on the other hand never had a problem starting in temps down to -30. I'd buy another one. Very helpful service department."

MPG much higher than advertised

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and fuel economy"

"I've owned this car for only 5 weeks so this review is based on satisfaction of a new car. My car has 1,000 miles of local driving and is consistently showing 38.9 MPG with the TDI. A couple of friends with Jetta's said I will easily get 48 MPG on the highway. Went with the SEL, navigation, Fender radio/speakers and, so far, the handling is extremely good. I researched the TDI Passat for several months before the purchase and I am pleased with my decision."

Dont overlook the VW Passat TDI

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Great price; good design; comfortable ride; TDI"

Cons: "Rear view mirrors should be more squared"

"Liked the rather simple but refined styling of the 2012 Passat, so I walked out of the dealer with one. I never thought I would choose the TDI (Clean diesel) but on the test drive I liked its spunk and quiet ride...Very roomy interior, back seat/leg room near cavernous. Interior is simple, "clean", and intuitive. Car handles very well, comfortable ride. Seats are very comfortable and supportive as well. You can get German engineering and simplicity of design in a value priced, now AMERICAN BUILT mid size sedan...with a clean diesel as well. Not much more one could ask for in a practical, well designed, well built and nicely priced sedan....The Passat TDI should be high on your list, especially if you don't really want to portray a big ego about the ride you drive."

One of the best new vehicle experiences ever

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Value, features, Fuel economy, cost of ownership"

Cons: "Voice activated Navigation would be nice"

"I recent changed jobs and had to quickly aquire a car. since I would be losing my company supplied vehicle. I wanted a comfortable car that would get good fuel mileage. I was still afraid of the technology and potential cost associated with the potentia maintence of the various hybrid being offered. Battery replacement costs really scares me I have had previous experiece with Diesel powered engines in a Ford truck, (btw I would not reccomend a Ford 2004 f-350 but that is a seperate story) so I decided to investigate diesel power vehicles. Well there were not a lot of diesle powered options in the USA. So I focussed on VW. Well I am so glad I did!! I ended up purchasing the new 2012 VW Passat TDI which by the way is now made in USA. This car has been flawless since I received it in April. Quality and fit is excpetional, features, and options are more than reuired and operate perfectly. Mileage has been better than expected. After 3 month I now have 9200 Miles on this vehicle and I am averaging 30 miles per gallon in basic travel and close to 50 MPG when on road trips that consist mostly of highway driving. The car has plenty of perfomance and the TDI engine has great performance. No this car will not win any races but there is more than enough power to get around town and merge on a freeway. Check this care out it is awesome."

Phenomenal Vehicle

By on Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, smooth operation, diesel operation"

Cons: "Traction on wet pavement or snow (compared to Audi"

"I owned an Audi A6 and intended to purchase another Audi. Howevever, when I went to the Audi/VW dealership and test drove the Passat TDI SEL I could not find a reason to spend twice the price for an A6 and not get the diesel advantage. Economy, handling and performance has been exceptional. The most significant difference was the lack of the Quattro AWD. Acceleration on wet or slippery pavement was outstanding in the A6 Quattro."

Good looking vehicle with great MPG - TDI

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Great Value, Design, MPG, comfort, handling"

Cons: "may have electronic issues... :/"

"switched from a Camry Hybrid to the 2012 Passat TDI. The Passat has all the bells and whistles as compared to the Camry Hybrid basically at a comperable price. Camry had no leather or navigation. The Passat has it all and i bought it because it is a great value. Car drives great, handles awesome, fuel consumption seems to be great as well (too soon to rate at only 800 miles so far). I am a bit dissapointed as my car seems to have a electronic problem. There are times where i get in the vehicle and a warning indicator says "key not detected", when the key is in my pocket and should work. Can't start the car as it is a push start and does not have a traditional ignition to put a key in. The car is also equipped with a remote starter. Unfortunately that seems to only work when it wants to... just like with the key. I will be going back to the dealership so that hopefully they can fix this annoying problem."

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Comfortable, Beautiful, Reliable, and Intuitive

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Comfortable, Reliable, High MPG"

Cons: "Low Horsepower"

"The 2012 Passat TDI SE is a great vehicle to own if one would love a reliable vehicle that is comfortable, beautiful, and gets excellent mileage. The exterior has subtle yet striking lines and the interior is simple yet refined for the price range. The sound system is great and the electronic features are easy to use. There is ample seating and storage room. The high level of torque makes driving fun but the lack of horsepower can get disappointing at higher rpm's if you are used to a high level of performance. Overall this is a great vehicle to own if you would like to travel in style and comfort while getting some of the best fuel mileage available. I usually average 41 mpg per tank and have gotten up to 48 mpg on a trip."

Awesome!!!

By on Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pros: "I look forward to driving it. This is unusual 4 me"

Cons: "Upgrade the audio if standard."

"Car is not peppy, forces you to drive the way we should be driving. Value is great vs. hybrid alternative. Drives like a BMW, gas like a corolla, refined like an Audi."

Outstanding Fuel Economy and Comfort

By on Sunday, September 20, 2015

Pros: "Mileage, price, looks great"

Cons: "Quality, reliability, price to fix"

"I've had this car for about a year and a half and have been to 15 states with it now and through just about every terrain and weather. It's very equipped to handle snow as long as you have snow tires on it (lived in the snow-belt for a year in Ohio) but is absolutely incredible on long road trips. The back seat room is outstanding and for a smaller car, the trunk is decent sized. It's incredibly comfortable, well dressed with the goodies on the inside, and again, the mileage is just incredible. I've gone from the Cleveland area to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina on almost one tank. To Manhattan and almost back... on one tank. And most recently from Dallas to Hot Springs, Arkansas and BACK on one tank. By far the best thing about this car is the mileage averaging close to 750 mies on a tank if you're easy on the pedal which can sometimes be tough with the torque being so high and fun to hit it. Now the bad... It's extremely expensive to have work done on it, but buying foreign you kind of have the mindset that it's inevitable, and by the way, you can't get windshield wipers just anywhere... they're specialized. I think it's every 20,000 miles, the dealership is required to go through the car completely with new fluids, all the good stuff which will set you back nearly $1000 each time. Kind of dumb... I've had the power steering just about go out completely on an s-curve and have never had the comfort in the car since. The DEF fluid goes in the trunk which is impossible to fill up without getting it on everything and there is no gauge in the car to tell you when you're almost out until it's too late. If you're driving city, it's not bad since it's almost out at oil change intervals and the dealer can do it. But if you're driving long distances, it seems to go through it much faster. The interior quality is by far my biggest gripe with this car. If you drive it far enough, long enough, you will have more rattles than your brain can almost process. I have a LARGE rattle in more than 5 places in the car's interior --- literally. It's been in the shop numerous times for it but somehow no one can ever find the rattles, surprise. The road noise is amazing too --- it's LOUD on the highway. For a foreign car, this is at the bottom in interior quality. In short, this car has much, much more life left in it but the bad is outweighing the good, I am now looking at other options on getting another vehicle. Buy if you love amazing mileage but can put up with quite a lot of low-quality-car-like symptoms. This car is like the crazy ex, fun at times but you have to put up with a lot..."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

2013 V6 SEL Premium

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "Comfort and room"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"This is the best car I have ever owned. It has exceptional comfort. Two weeks after I purchased the car I took a 3600 mile trip. There have been no problems at all. When we tested the car we also tested a TDI SEl Premium version. We chose the V6 because it is so smooth and powerful. I do wish the German manufactures would get away from engines that require premium gas. both American and Japanese manufactures make engines of the same size or smaller that produce as much power on regular gas. A good example is GM's 3.6 V6."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, May 8, 2016

Pros: "Workmanship, fuel mileage, interior design&room."

Cons: "Carpet, sun visors,"

"Bought new in Sep of 2013. Came down to this TDI or a Honda Accord. Drove both, and evaluated both for over a mouth. We have 4 Hondas in the immediate family which I service, combined over 600,000 miles. Nothing but good to say about Hondas. My Son-I-L, who is quite a car guru, suggested we consider a Passat CC. At the dealership the young salesman almost insisted we drive a Passat Diesel. Having owned an Olds Diesel back in 1979, I had no desire to consider a diesel of any nameplate. Did not like the CC, so we drove the TDI-SE. Loved the car. Large interior, large trunk, plenty pep in the normal driving range. And 40+ mpg. After much reading and comparing, and re-driving the Honda, we bought the Passat TDI-SEL Premium. After 67,000 miles I am still in love with this TDI-SEL. Yes, it has issues..small ones compared to all the major assets. The carpeting is cheap. The GPS/Entertainment system is slow. But I like the way the entertainment system integrates the different functions...very user friendly, but slow. This is overshadowed by superior workmanship and drive-ability. What is not to like about 45mpg overall average ! Makes you want to go for a drive, which is what I think I will do right now."

2013 TDI SEL, great car

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "ride, mpgs, kessey, seating, trunk space"

Cons: "not able to disable stability control"

"I've had the 2013 TDI SEL for 3 months and 3000 miles. The only real negatives I can find fault with at the price point of $33k is the inability to turn off the various stability control nannies and that chains are not recommended due to clearance issues between the strut assembly and the inside of the wheel. The engine has tons of torque from 1200 t0 2800 rpms. This is extrememly useable torque that provides snappy acceleration in the speed bands that are most usually driven. The keyless Kessy system is a joy. The ride quality is exceptional, and interior noise is extremely low, especially at crusing speeds. Seating is very supportive and comfortable. The Fender stereo is better than average, but certainly no Wow factor with it. The radio navigation system takes a bit of getting used to, but I find I can live with it without getting too annoyed. Ride quality on America's decaying road system was a main consideration when purchasing the car, and even though I don't put many miles on the car per year, one thing for sure and certain is fuel costs are not going to go down, and if I keep this car for the decade or so I usually keep a car, I can only shudder at what the price of fuel will be in 10 years. I'm getting mid 30s around small town driving on secondary roads and in the low 40s during freeway driving. Headlights on high were exactly perfect for me, as I really dislike HID projection beams with their driving in a pipe style light cutoffs. The low beams were not adequate for secondary road driving and I replaced them with higher wattage bulbs which solved the problem. At the price point of the top end of the Passat line, one is looking at the low end of the Mercedes and BMWs, and other than prestige of name, the Passat is a hands down better value, and even according to Automobile magazine, the ride on the Passat is of higher quality than the BMW 3 series diesel. Full sized spare tire and fold down back seats are major pluses too. Dashboard is nicely laid out without too much clutter and good visibility of the instrument cluster. Bluetooth phone interface is very good. The regen system for self cleaning of diesel soot is something that VW should have a dashboard monitoring of, but I guess they are worried it will confuse drivers. I really could not be much happier with the Passat. Sure cars that cost 50% more have nicer interiors, but none of them get better MPGs on the Freeway. Lastly, if you are looking for a car for urban driving and rare trips to the countryside or freeway, the Passat TDI is not your best choice, probably a Toyota Hybrid would be better due to the regeneration braking systems,and the fact that the Passat TDI would rarely achive obtimum engine/driving temperature, which is very important for diesels."

Awesome car! Get one you won't be disappointed

By on Friday, July 20, 2012

Pros: "Price, great ride, fuel economy, comfort, style"

Cons: "tire road noise, not cars fault"

"After renting one on vacation I was hooked! Purchased pre-owned 2012 Passat SE 2.5L from Carmax 4800 miles on the clock. I have to say very impressive mileage based on my normal speed limit driving. I average 29-32 mpg combined with ac running and four people which adds weight. This car is so nicely appointed with standard amenities found on more expensive vehicles and comfortable on long trips it's just amazing. It is a lot of car for the money, there is nothing left for me to desire on it. The room is unbelievable and the seats are so comfortable. There is tons of storage locations, and overall sporty luxury. Fit and finish that rivals really high end cars. Maintenance included 3/36 can't be beat. Best of all German engineering and built in America. Great Job!"

Nice Car

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Regular fuel, Made in the USA, Rear leg room, Priced right!"

"Just bought my 3rd Passat in a row. Nice clean lines, drives really smoothly, great value, and built in the USA! Love that I don't need Premium fuel any longer. Miss some of the standard luxury options in my old 2009 Passat (I purchased the S with Appearance due to price), but overall, I do not miss them. The 2012 is fun to drive and lots of leg room in the rear for your passengers. The new body style does take some getting used to, but the more I look at it and drive it, the more I like this car."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 2, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."

The best vehicle I have ever owned (TDI-DSG)

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, competent, very economical, fun to drive."

Cons: "No station wagon or 4 wheel drive."

"The TDI version of this car is amazing! It accedes the EPA ratings for mileage without even trying. It is extremely quiet and has a very supple ride. The interior room is in a class by itself. I have had zero problems with the car and the dealer is one of the best I have encountered. Try it, you'll really like it!"

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

As Perfect as a car can get...almost

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "quality,strength of build equals safety"

Cons: "road noise from tires"

Walked away 40mph t-bone red light runner

"Fantastic Machine. Only change would be Factory Michelin performance tires to quiet down interior road noise. Bought a 2012 Jetta TDI and was t-boned by p-up truck running red light at 40 mph. Walked away. Dealer was out of Jetta TDI...go figure, went with Passat TDI no regrets interior volume unmatched and trunk just keeps going and going. Jetta TDI or Passat TDI you can't lose."

Walked away 40mph t-bone red light runner

Love it as much now s when I test drove it.

By on Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Pros: "Size, power of the 3.6. Handling"

Cons: "Seats are hard."

"Have had the Passat Since June 2012. Have not had any problems other than the coolant light came on twice due to a slightly low amount. I am 6'4" 340lbs and this car has ample room. You can comfortably seat 5 people or four adults. I carried an 8ft long carpet with no problem. Works well at the grocery store and even at the stock up trips to Sams Club. Drove the Ford Taurus on a two hour trip (BTW I am a Ford guy) and it could not compare to the Passat."