2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 191 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Best Passat Yet and American

By on Friday, July 8, 2016

Pros: "Fit, finish, mpg, ride, handling, quiet,"

Cons: "Dieselgate"

"This is my second Passat a TDI. My first was a 2003 6 cylinder. This is also my 5th VW. Had a 09 Jetta TDI, 03 Jetta diesel, and 2002 Bug. I like the handling and build of VW's. I do a lot of driving and all have been great road cars. My 2015 Passat SE TDI is the best yet and made in America right in my home state. This car has great road manners, fit and finish is the best. I drove this car from Tucson to Cookeville packed to the gills and still got 50 mpg. Love the backup camera all cars need this. The car is so quiet on the road. The transmission and engine are a perfect match. I drive it mostly in the economy mode. It's no slug and I still get great mpg. This car is not boring like a Camry or Accord and its not a BMW but then I didn't pay for a BMW either. I've had an issue with the check engine light. The fault says too much oxygen, probably part of the EPA issues. Now I wait and see what or if there is a fix and what it will do to the economy and performance."

Too much fun!!!

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Pros: "Well thought out features, big trunk, great value!"

Cons: "None. Wish I could spend more time driving!"

"Can't believe how well laid out this car is. Everything is exactly within reach and easy to operate. Love the Bluetooth so I can stream my music while I drive and I can control the radio and answer the phone with controls mounted on the steering wheel. The trunk is so big that I don't have to use the seats and floor inside the car like I used to with my old car when I bought groceries. This baby can hold a lot of stuff! The seats and interior are so comfortable it feels like they belong in a more expensive luxury car. I can't believe how luxurious this car is for such a great price. Definitely a great value for the price. The engine provides more than enough power and doesn't feel like it's just 2.5 liters. It's not sluggish like other cars I've drove in the past with small engines. The exterior is also very well designed and attractive for a midsize family sedan. Who says you can't be sporty when you have four doors? I love, love, love everything about this car! I just wish I had discovered VW a long time ago!"

Dont overlook the VW Passat TDI

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Great price; good design; comfortable ride; TDI"

Cons: "Rear view mirrors should be more squared"

"Liked the rather simple but refined styling of the 2012 Passat, so I walked out of the dealer with one. I never thought I would choose the TDI (Clean diesel) but on the test drive I liked its spunk and quiet ride...Very roomy interior, back seat/leg room near cavernous. Interior is simple, "clean", and intuitive. Car handles very well, comfortable ride. Seats are very comfortable and supportive as well. You can get German engineering and simplicity of design in a value priced, now AMERICAN BUILT mid size sedan...with a clean diesel as well. Not much more one could ask for in a practical, well designed, well built and nicely priced sedan....The Passat TDI should be high on your list, especially if you don't really want to portray a big ego about the ride you drive."

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."

Excellent Value, Excellent Fuel Economy, Sporty

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Reason: Wife wanted something bigger

Pros: "Handling, Value, MPG, Radio, Roomy back+trunk"

Cons: "Stiff front seats, Low prestige"

bye bye

"I bought the 2.5 Gas SE with Sunroof. List was $26+K, I paid just over $23K and got 1.9% for 66 mos. so the car was an excellent value. I put 21,000 miles on it and sold it for $17K, not too bad for owning it 1.5 years. I never had any issues and the dealer took care of all the maint for free. The car was plenty large enough for 4, and was pleasant to drive. Averaged 28.5 MPG overall with very little highway driving. Mileage actually improved as the car broke in. The car is a blast to drive on backroads but the seats are a little stiff for long hauls. The A/C and Radio are top notch as are the heated seats and sunroof. Really a great value over Accord or Camry if saving money is important to you. I ended up trading it for a Buick Lacrosse CXL only because my wife and I wanted something large and plush for long rides to Disney, ect. I'm sure the VW would be cheaper to own and run but we just missed the luxury and are willing to fork over another $100 a month to have it"

bye bye

The best vehicle I have ever owned (TDI-DSG)

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, competent, very economical, fun to drive."

Cons: "No station wagon or 4 wheel drive."

"The TDI version of this car is amazing! It accedes the EPA ratings for mileage without even trying. It is extremely quiet and has a very supple ride. The interior room is in a class by itself. I have had zero problems with the car and the dealer is one of the best I have encountered. Try it, you'll really like it!"

Extremely comfortable

By on Monday, March 9, 2015

Pros: "comfortable - great milage"

Cons: "a few issues have had me at the dealer too often"

"I have just completed 14000 miles of winter driving in MI, WI and MN in a 2015 TDI SEL Passat. Best winter car I have ever driven and I have had AWD's before. Sure footed, very functional traction control and a very solid ride. Great Mileage at approx. 46 mpg highway and city combined (mostly highway miles). A few annoying glitches to begin with. The only complaint is the entertainment center/radio ridiculously slow and does not work at all in really cold temps. But on the other hand never had a problem starting in temps down to -30. I'd buy another one. Very helpful service department."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

Amazing fuel economy, great handling, superb seats

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, handling, interior, stereo"

Cons: "some grainy plastic, styling not agressive enough"

"Ill start first by saying don't listen to the EPA fuel economy ratings, they are hard on diesels. While it is rated for "only" 40 mpg hwy, I exceed that by a large margin. Even with a lead foot, I still get 32-33 mpg city. With the cruise set at 75, I was averaging 46.2 mpg for my trip to Nachitoches. On a recent trip to New Orleans (355 miles from me) I had the family and luggage loaded up and the cruise set at 79 (speed limit is 75) and still averaged 42 mpg on the way down there. On the way back I kept it at 75, and got almost 47 mpg. I went 742 miles on one tank without refueling! Thats right, drove from Shreveport to New Orleans (Marerro), then to our hotel downtown, then back to Shreveport without stopping for fuel. The seats are extremely comfortable on long trips, and my back, for the first time, wasn't stiff after an 8hr drive to West Tx. Acceleration in town is excellent thanks to 236lb/ft of torque, which is what a good size V6 makes. It is quite peppy, especially if you want to zip into traffic. No waiting for the RPM's to go up like a conventional gasoline 4 cylinder. Power comes on strong at just 1,400 RPM. Highway passing power isn't phenomenal, but it is adequate, and considering the fuel economy is great. No gasoline powered car ion America comes close to the fuel economy. Not even the tiny Smart car, Chevy Spark and Toyota IQ do not match this cars fuel economy, and this car is not only much larger, but quite a bit faster as well. Faster, roomier, and better on fuel than many hybrids as well without all of that complexity, and it drives like a real car? Yes you can have your cake and eat it. This car actually has more backseat room than a Toyota Avalon, which is a full size car. The Fender Audio system is great. You can tell VW did add some cost cutting into some of the interior, but they were tactful, by keeping all of the surfaces you come in contact with regularly made of nice soft touch materials, while others that you don't normally touch are coarser and grainier plastics. The interior is by no means cheap, in fact, it was quite elegant and classy and better made than any of the Domestics we looked at. Controls were much more simple and user friendly than both the Japanese and Domestics. Driving dynamics are by far better than anything in its class. Handling is first rate, and ride is very smooth, although the factory tires can be noisy on coarse roads. Couldn't imagine how anyone could buy anything else after driving this. 3 years of free scheduled maintenance is nice too, and is something the competition does not offer. Overall I give this car a 10. This is my first VW, and I don't think it will be my last. Now if only they had a Diesel SUV with a third row. Until then, the Mercedes R class diesel, GL diesel, or an Audi Q7 TDI diesel will be on the shopping list. If you are looking for a family sedan that with the potential go 800+ miles on a tank on the highway, and is much more fun than the rest, this is the one."

Great Car (TDI)

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, reliability"

Cons: "touch screen, rear visibility"

"this car is driven mainly city and maby 1-2 long trips, and we love the torque this car has. the only complaint is there is some lag time on the touch screen... but that is common with touch screens in cars."