2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 114 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Worse car and company ever

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "good fuel efficiency, spacious interior"

Cons: "unreliability and horrendous customer service/care"

"This car has been a nightmare for us. Around 41K mi, the engine light came on and we had to get the entire fuel system replaced. The dealership service center blamed it on a bad batch of diesel feul...suspect. About 1K mile later, engine light comes on again and we had to get a sensor replaced. same dealership service center said "sensors just fail sometimes." suspect...shouldn't happen on a 2 1/2 year old car. 45K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). VW of america customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware! loved the car until something went wrong. then it was a chain of reaction that got worse and worse. and this was just 2 and 1/2 years into ownership, didn't even reach 45K miles when major malfunctions occurred. you're really on your own since VW will not provide any customer care support. VW dealerships are also independent franchises so there's no guarantee of quality workmanship, even though they are "authorized dealers" and "authorized service centers" VW needs to stand behind their work and their customers. when something goes wrong in a car that is advertised as car of the year or family car of the year, take some responsibility for it. seems like once you give them your money, that's all they really care about, since they let dealerships do whatever and behave however they want, not ensuring any type of standard of quality in servicing or customer care. it's absolutely unacceptable. i've been completely disgusted and appalled by my experiences with this car and VW overall and hope this review helps others steer clear away from this car and this company."

great handling car with deceptively fast speed

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "excellent handling car at a reasonable price"

Cons: "defrosters ,defogger not too good,"

"I enjoy driving this car. I particularly like it's handling in all conditions and it's speed. I really don't have to push the pedal much and I am cruising above the limit.I don't speed often but once on a clear long stretch of highway I decided to see how fast the car would go. I was up to 110 m.p.h. and that was enough for me (I didn't want a ticket or jail time)The car accelerated with little effort and if I wanted to I know the 160 on the speedometer would not be a problem.That was a one time thing though, I like knowing that the car has some power but I enjoy driving at a safe speed. The thing is that it really surprises me sometimes when I look at the speedometer and my speed is higher than I thought, that's why I say it's deceptively fast.The car handles well and has a good feel for the road, you don't have that soft luxury feel but more of the feel of the road with some softness. I feel like I am driving in the Alps sometimes. It's not a bad looking car, in either sense of the word,looks similar to many other cars and the interior is not flashy. The trunk is huge and I think you can fold the seats down to make an area to transport things or even sleep in. I have not had to use it in those ways yet so I might be wrong on that. The seats are comfortable and they have to be manually adjusted which I don't mind because it's one less thing to be concerned about electrical wise. Overall it's a really good car and although I am leasing it I most likely will buy it at lease end.My lease has 21 months to go and hopefully in about 19 months I can start or find a thread about people who are also going to buy the 2013 passat when their lease ends and we can compare what the dealers are asking in price and fees and also appraisals."

Good car, but cost of ownership is ridiculous

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"I have a tdi and the mileage is great, I average about 43 on long trips in the summer and about 38 in the winter using premium diesel. Car drives great, but my main complaints is that the cost of ownership is ridiculous, the low profile tires don't allow for any quality tires, I am on my third set now and only have 75k miles on my car, oil changes are triple the cost of a normal oil change. I used to have a chevy Monte Carlo and I could get around 100k on those tires and I put over 300k miles on the that car with minimal repairs, I have already had several factory recalls and minor parts that have gone bad on the tdi, most have been under warranty but it makes me think this car won't last long. Not impressed with cost of ownership! I would not recommend to anyone unless they plan on spending 3k a year on oil changes and repairs and tires?"

Great highway mileage

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Highway Fuel Economy"

Cons: "Uncomfortable seat, HMI, no head room"

"I own the 2014, and I cannot wait to get rid of it. YES, THE HIGHWAY FUEL MILEAGE IS AMAZING. Try driving any competitor midsize sedan at 78 mph and be lucky to top 28 mpg (I get 43 mpg), and that's if you're in a 4-cylinder and not getting ran off the road by a semi while pulling out on the interstate. I will give the TDI credit there, while the 0-60 is not so great- the 60-80 (which is what matters here)is decent enough (better than a 4 cylinder or hybrid that engages the gasoline engine at this point. The highway MPG basically boils down to how close to 1900-2000 RPM you can get while in 6th gear, the closer the better. The trunk is like a cave. You can go spelunking in there. Oh and legroom, but we will get to that. NOW FOR THE CONS: Do not let the commercial with the guy doing donuts in a Passat or the "turbo" fool you, this is not by any means a fast car. From the gearing to the single turbo, it was made for one thing and that is fuel economy. But like I said, it still fares better on the interstate than most hybrids. The front seats, no planar tilt. Seat adjusts up and forward or down and back. YOU WILL NOT FIND A COMFORTABLE SPOT. Go ahead, drive it for 1 hour back and forth to work and tell me how your back feels. And I have the best seats they offer. Not to mention you can feel the seat heaters. I am 6' 190 lbs and I cannot get comfortable. No head room.Plenty of legroom, but no headroom- which makes for an odd combination (gives almost a feeling of vertigo). THE HUMAN MACHINE INTERFACE FOR THE NAVIGATION AND RADIO IS POORLY ENGINEERED. Ever draw anything on MS Paint? That is literally how easy it is to configure a layout on a touchscreen. The buttons are touchy, yet there impact locations are hard to find, so you will swipe at it and press the wrong thing 9/10. IT IS HORRIBLY SLOW. The back-up camera, the push buttons, the screen changes. All of it. Slow. This tells me that the RAM is near full with the new updates for 2014, and instead of compensating, they just pushed forward with the absolute worst in the midsize market. Where are the LED headlights? Not even an option. I understand the urea. I get emissions. But why is the filler cap in the trunk? Do you know what happens if you ever spill it? It crystallizes and instantly bonds to whatever it comes in contact with. Oh and it will leave you stranded when you run out, as in the car will not start. Keep it filled yeah, but that is just one more thing you have to stress about besides not putting bad diesel in it. The Fender sound system is alright, but once you couple it with the horrible interface and the "why in the cosmos did they make that silly plug for the iPod thing" they have, expectations fall short. The remote start? Shuts off as soon as you open the door. No, you cannot change it. Oh, and hopefully they remove the shipping spacers in the coils. If you drive over a bump and hear a loud thud (and you didn't run over a turtle), they are still there."

2 years and I still love it! Buy the TDI !!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage!"

Cons: "Diesel takes a while to get used to. Turbo lag"

"I purchased my 2012 VW Passat TDI SE just about 2 years ago when this body style first came out. As an owner of a 2010 Jetta (Wolfsburg) I liked the fit and finish of the Jetta however the gas 2.0T in it was killing me in the mileage department. I was pleasently supprised by Passat. The fit and finish, ammenities, and handling between the two cars were comperable. However the intirior and trunk were so much more spacious than I thought they would be. The automatic transmisssion is quick and firm. It shifts nicely at all speeds and RPMs. The brakes are firm. However the low RPM turbo lag takes a little while to get used to. It is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination but it will get up and go when you need it to. But if you somp on the gas from a stop, you will probably spin the tires a bit as soon as the turbo kicks in. Neither a pro or a con, just something to get used to. In the 2 years I have had very few problems. My left mirror cracked when I forgot to turn off the heated mirror. Easy driveway fix with either an OEM mirror or I went with a european convex mirror. Sometimes, when the radio is low, you can hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank. Again, not a big deal with just a little music. Overall the TDI Passat is great! I get over 600 miles to a 18 gallon fill up when driving to and from work. On several road trips I've gotten almost 800 miles to the same 18-19 gallons! Thats amazing!"