2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 159 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Phenomenal Vehicle

By on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, smooth operation, diesel operation"

Cons: "Traction on wet pavement or snow (compared to Audi"

"I owned an Audi A6 and intended to purchase another Audi. Howevever, when I went to the Audi/VW dealership and test drove the Passat TDI SEL I could not find a reason to spend twice the price for an A6 and not get the diesel advantage. Economy, handling and performance has been exceptional. The most significant difference was the lack of the Quattro AWD. Acceleration on wet or slippery pavement was outstanding in the A6 Quattro."

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

lov the mpg

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "great price and money saver"

Cons: "nothing so far"

"awesome car , diesel but it has a lot of torque which make is it very fast very quick . Right now I am getting around 34 mpg mixed driving . Interior design is nice doesn't look cheap like some of the other cars in its class . Very satisfied with my Passat tdi"

Diesel power.

By on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pros: "Mpg, driving dynamics, rear seat leg room,"

Cons: "Waiting list for TDI version."

"I was floored when I test drove the diesel version of the Passat. This car has adequate power that crushes mountain passes all the while getting 50 mpg. But what about the clatter and smell of the smokey diesel we all know? Believe it when I say you will have a difficult time telling this car is diesel powered. If that is not enough this car is huge inside while maintaining midsize exterior dimensions. Fit and finish are above average and the car just feels right. If this car is not on your short list do yourself a favor and take a look before you buy."