2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 135 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

TDI is the only way to go

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, torque, DSG trans is awesome"

Cons: "radio/ navigation are outdated."

"I had my doubts about VW when I bought the Passat back in 2012 because I heard so many stories about the reliability. I looked at a few other sedans but opted for the TDI SE with the DSG. I have not regretted it for a single day. I went from a car with the worst transmission on the planet (a part italian owned big 3) to the BEST transmission out there. I put 87k miles on it and it still feels solid as the day I bought it. Maintenance is a bit more expensive for the TDI sure, but fuel economy makes up for it - and this is the ONLY car that I ever get better fuel economy that the EPA rating! My local VW dealer is very nice as well. I constantly get 42-43mpg on long hauls with the family. Phoenix to Las Vegas and back without stopping for fuel is nice too! I would recommend it highly."

I'd tell you to pass!

By on Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pros: "Good diesel mileage"

Cons: "Too many to list."

"This car is just not a nice car. I regret purchasing this car, almost from the get go. The diesel does give great mileage; but, then you give it back when the car needs to be serviced! The 40K service was $630.00! When you factor in the servicing costs, it's cheaper for me to drive my '09 Lincoln Town Car. After all, the Town Car NEVER needs any special servicing! Now the Passat is on it's third turbo. The seats are already cracking. The car is not comfortable. I would not recommend this car. Very disappointed customer VW!"

Wicked Sleeper Family Sedan

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Fast, Roomy, Awesome stereo, Reliable"

Cons: "Looks average"

"Actually bought 2! Rides and handles effortlessly. VR6 motor provides plenty of torquey horsepower and feels really fast. DSG shifts smoothly-1/200th of a second. Gives V8s a run for their money! Three carseats fit in the backseat and still has plenty of front leg room. Seats wipe off easily for kid spills. Phone connects immediately through Bluetooth. Steering wheel controls convenient for skipping songs from phone while streaming Pandora or Spotify. Fender stereo is superb and highly recommended for the most discerning audiophile. Love my VR6 Passats!"

Good Open Road car

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "Vr6 3.6L nice power"

Cons: "stiff suspension"

"I have always been a VW fan. Our Passat is Black and strew tan. In Italy we owned an A8, the 2014 Passat has the same room but not all the toys and the suspension is stiffer. The transmission take learning to operate efficiently (better fuel milage)."

Best Gas Mileage

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, comfortable, lots of power"

Cons: "Temperature on inside is not thermostat controlled"

"I get 42.8 MPG overall - city and highway. I could not be more pleased with this car."

tremendous value and quality

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Build quality, fit and finish, performance and val"

Cons: "none for me"

"I used to sell and service V.W.'s. I have owned six of them and traded a 2011 GTI with DSG trans for my Passat. For me, although not as performance oriented, I find this Passat to be the best built, quiet, comfortable, most substantial V.W. of all that I have owned. This new Gen III EA 888 1.8 T is a refined leap in powerplant engineering providing linear and seamless power delivery, as well as amazing fuel economy provided that the turbo isn't constantly being spooled. As an added bonus, knowing that this car was manufactured in the U.S.A. and had been by far the most reliable, best assembled, fit/finished of all my V.W.'s including my 2011 GTT is saying a lot. Having all emissions components covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles by virtue of being a PZEV vehicle, is just another of many virtues. Am I easily pleased? Just the opposite, however in this case, my 2014 SE w/roof with the new EA 888 1.8 T with 6 speed Tiptronic far exceeds my prior expectations."

Disappointed

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "The turbo failures"

"First, I love the way the car handles. It is has great comfort and convenience. Controls are all in a logical places and function appropriately The diesel performed as advertised (diesel prices don't change as frequent as unleaded), great mileage city and highway. Nothing better than a 600 mile roundtrip on a tank. Downside, the car is having issues with the turbo. The turbo has been replaced twice in 26000 miles. Not a cheap fix, especially if fails, requires the whole oil system to be cleaned. It is disappointing because Diesel Turbos are not new tech for VW. They have had them in Europe for years, so to me this is unacceptable. I am looking to replace the vehicle with a Jetta Diesel, which the internet boards is showing to be reliable."

Best Sedan out there

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Roominess, Solid build"

Cons: "Pricey but MPG compensates with TDI"

"Love this car and the MPG. Been on multiple family trips with room to spare and really cheap fuel costs. Can't beat it! Comfortable, reliable, and a great car to drive."

Excellent Car, TERRIBLE radio/nav system

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Great Drive, handles well, exceptional mileage"

Cons: "Extremely expensive & poor radio/nav system"

"Have over 20,0000 miles on this TDI Passat. Overall it is a great car. The mileage is beyond belief (e.g. got 49 mpg at 85 with air conditioning on a recent trip). Interior and exterior are packaged nicely, drives and handles well and has nice amenities EXCEPT the RNS 510 radio/nav system. It is totally too slow, and not user friendly, nearly unresponsive. Despite complaints to the dealer and the VW corporation (actually the dealership has been excellent in all other aspects)nothing is done or even acknowledged officially despite many similar comments on the internet about this system."

performance, comfort, materials, excellent value

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

"Compared to Camry, Altima, Sonata, Optima and Accord, which are all in the same class and approx the same price, simply put, German engineering...the feel, the handling, the performance, the materials interior and exterior...by far exceeds the competition. Sure, possibly years later, the others may be less expensive to maintain, but also feel like tin cans...you can hear the road noise, feel the rollover on curves...the Passat has a heavy, solid feel, no road noise, great insulation, and superior handling and performance. It's truly in a class of it's own. Safety ratings also exceeds the competition."

A very confort family Limo

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

"It's big like a limousine, very comfortable for long trips, above 35 MPG with near 80 mph on hwy, spacious trunk, enjoyable drive characteristics and comfortable ride quality, very good looking, high quality interior materials and touches (soft touches almost every where), packed with good set of safety and comfy features. Worth every penny you pay for, especially when you buy it as second hand."

Very happy with my new car!!

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Interior seating, cavernous trunk, great controls"

Cons: "Have to lock doors with key fob or from outside"

"I was looking for a sedan that could seat 5 people all over 6 feet tall, comfortably and-voila!! Enter the Passat. Bought a 2014 1.8L TSI Wolfsburg edition and get very good gas mileage, great handling, nice interior design, ease of use with controls, a top-notch Bluetooth Sirius XM radio and am still impressed by the exterior good looks all for a very reasonable price. I looked seriously at the Ford Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost, and the Honda Accord. While the Ford has impressive pickup, the TSI Passat can definitely hold its own. As soon as I tried the Honda, with my seat all the way back and legs wrapped around the steering wheel I just could not get comfortable on the test drive and knew any passenger I had would feel the same. Time will tell whether or not it has a high cost of ownership, but then again-that's what extended warranties are supposed to be for-right???"

Powersteering overly stiff for my wife

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "Nice highway car"

Cons: "Steering stiffness is too much for most women"

"This is a "man's car", not suitable for a frail lady!"

nice ride huge trunk huge back seat

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, huge back seat area and trunk"

Cons: "wierd placement of steering wheel to drivers seat,"

"only had to fill up twice a month typically unless I had a long trip. The drivers side seat is off set to the steering wheel - something I did not notice until after the purchase and it bugged me. The vehicle ran great and I did not need to fill it up much which is AWESOME! plenty of room for passengers and luggage and golf clubs! Overall good and reliable car."

Ok

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "solid"

Cons: "radio ...."

"Solid sedan, great acceleration cheep radio. Cars that cost 10K less now days have better radio than this model."

2013 Passat S offers good value for your $$$

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Solid build, good handling, well laid out"

Cons: "Wish gas mileage was better"

"Bought my 2013 VW Passat S used, so I didn't have to deal with the break-in period. Car is solidly built and feels good on the road - that is, I feel connected to the road, but without the harsh ride of a sports car. The interior is well laid out, with everything within easy reach. Seats are comfortable and adjustable. While some (both pro and consumer) reviews malign the in-line 5 cylinder engine for its (seeming) lack of power and fuel economy, personally I've found the engine to offer all the power I need for most driving comditions (though there is a slight lag when you first step on the gas, but then it takes right off). But to off-set this, there is the "S"port gear that mimics the acceleration of a sports car if you need it - and can be shifted into and out of at any time. BIG trunk, and the legroom in the back seats is second to none in its class. Plus there is plenty of room for the driver and passenger. Road noise is low, and I LOVE having the Bluetooth for music and phone. Can't yet speak about reliability as I haven't had the car long enough, but other then my wish for better fuel economy (who doesn't wish for that?), I've found the basic version of the Passat to be a fine car for the money."

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, affordable& luxurious"

Cons: "No cons :)"

"I can't stop looking at this car.. I bought it in May of 2013 and I'm in love with it still. Everytime I park it I look back to see what it looks like lol I recommend buying this car because it's beautiful, luxurious, smooth and affordable."

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Price, fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "None so far"

"Great value. Drives like a high end sports car. Gets 40 MPG. Cost was very reasonable."

2013 volkswagon passat se tdi

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "GREAT PRICE AND FUN TO DRIVE"

"I HAVE OWNED THE VEHICLE FOR 18 MONTHS MILEAGE WAS LISTED AT 34 CITY 40 HWY. I AM GETTING 42 IN CITY OVER 50 MPG HIGHWAY. GREAT VEHICLE VERY DEPENDABLE RIDE IS QUIET AND SMOOTH.I AM STILL AMAZED AT THE MPG'S I AM GETTING. I DROVE THIS VEHICLE FROM LAKE CITY , FLORIDA TO MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE ON LESS THAN A TANK OF FUEL. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FUEL ECONOMY AND COMFORT THIS IS YOUR VEHICLE."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and excellent MPG"

Cons: "no backup camera or sensors on this version"

"This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned so far. I purchased a 2013 TDI SE version with the DSG transmission. I average over 40 MPG in mixed driving. Where I was filling up every week in my old vehicle I now can go 2 weeks on a fill up which is around 700 miles. Took the car on a trip to Atlanta and got over 50 MPG. And this is before the engine has gotten broken in. Have not a problem with the car. Interior room is extremely large and seats are comfortable. You can get similar mileage to a small hybrid car with the Passat yet you have a lot more room."

TDI SE Great fuel milage average 43 MPG

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Very enjoyable to drive."

Cons: "none so far"

"This is my 3 Passat and I just love this car it is very comfortable on long trips and has plenty of room. I realy like the DSG transmission and the TDI engine has plenty of power even with 4 adults and luggage."

So Far So Good

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Great lines, killer interior, bluetooth rocks"

Cons: "A little sluggish off the line"

"The jury is still out a bit as I just bought this 2012 Passat SE PZEV from a dealership last weekend. I had been driving a 99 BMW 528i for 10 years and have been amazed at all the techno in the Passat. The BlueTooth is fantastic to have, I get in the car, flip the iphone to BT and the car connects me automatically. The rear seating in enormous, it along with the longated rear windows reminds me of the older XJ12 Jags. The vehicle is a little sluggish off the line when excellerating but it might be due to the ac being on. Trunck is crazy huge, I could probably fit three golf bags back there and have some room left. The touchscreen entertainment system is a refreshing change from the 99 BMW 528i cassette player (right!!), The overall design is classic. This car will look good 10-15 years from now and I attribulte that to classic German engineering and design. There are clearly Audi influence in the overall presentation. The value seems to be there, we'll see."

Worse car and company ever

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "good fuel efficiency, spacious interior"

Cons: "unreliability and horrendous customer service/care"

"This car has been a nightmare for us. Around 41K mi, the engine light came on and we had to get the entire fuel system replaced. The dealership service center blamed it on a bad batch of diesel feul...suspect. About 1K mile later, engine light comes on again and we had to get a sensor replaced. same dealership service center said "sensors just fail sometimes." suspect...shouldn't happen on a 2 1/2 year old car. 45K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). VW of america customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware! loved the car until something went wrong. then it was a chain of reaction that got worse and worse. and this was just 2 and 1/2 years into ownership, didn't even reach 45K miles when major malfunctions occurred. you're really on your own since VW will not provide any customer care support. VW dealerships are also independent franchises so there's no guarantee of quality workmanship, even though they are "authorized dealers" and "authorized service centers" VW needs to stand behind their work and their customers. when something goes wrong in a car that is advertised as car of the year or family car of the year, take some responsibility for it. seems like once you give them your money, that's all they really care about, since they let dealerships do whatever and behave however they want, not ensuring any type of standard of quality in servicing or customer care. it's absolutely unacceptable. i've been completely disgusted and appalled by my experiences with this car and VW overall and hope this review helps others steer clear away from this car and this company."

great handling car with deceptively fast speed

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "excellent handling car at a reasonable price"

Cons: "defrosters ,defogger not too good,"

"I enjoy driving this car. I particularly like it's handling in all conditions and it's speed. I really don't have to push the pedal much and I am cruising above the limit.I don't speed often but once on a clear long stretch of highway I decided to see how fast the car would go. I was up to 110 m.p.h. and that was enough for me (I didn't want a ticket or jail time)The car accelerated with little effort and if I wanted to I know the 160 on the speedometer would not be a problem.That was a one time thing though, I like knowing that the car has some power but I enjoy driving at a safe speed. The thing is that it really surprises me sometimes when I look at the speedometer and my speed is higher than I thought, that's why I say it's deceptively fast.The car handles well and has a good feel for the road, you don't have that soft luxury feel but more of the feel of the road with some softness. I feel like I am driving in the Alps sometimes. It's not a bad looking car, in either sense of the word,looks similar to many other cars and the interior is not flashy. The trunk is huge and I think you can fold the seats down to make an area to transport things or even sleep in. I have not had to use it in those ways yet so I might be wrong on that. The seats are comfortable and they have to be manually adjusted which I don't mind because it's one less thing to be concerned about electrical wise. Overall it's a really good car and although I am leasing it I most likely will buy it at lease end.My lease has 21 months to go and hopefully in about 19 months I can start or find a thread about people who are also going to buy the 2013 passat when their lease ends and we can compare what the dealers are asking in price and fees and also appraisals."

Good car, but cost of ownership is ridiculous

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"I have a tdi and the mileage is great, I average about 43 on long trips in the summer and about 38 in the winter using premium diesel. Car drives great, but my main complaints is that the cost of ownership is ridiculous, the low profile tires don't allow for any quality tires, I am on my third set now and only have 75k miles on my car, oil changes are triple the cost of a normal oil change. I used to have a chevy Monte Carlo and I could get around 100k on those tires and I put over 300k miles on the that car with minimal repairs, I have already had several factory recalls and minor parts that have gone bad on the tdi, most have been under warranty but it makes me think this car won't last long. Not impressed with cost of ownership! I would not recommend to anyone unless they plan on spending 3k a year on oil changes and repairs and tires?"