2012 Volkswagen Passat

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Arguably the best sedan I've driven

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort and confidence in ownership"

Cons: "Later models introduced a few more gadgets"

"I have never been more comfortable with recommending a car to friends and family than with the VW Passat TDI. Granted that VW is not going to win any awards for the exterior styling, it is a style that is not likely to be dated soon. The interior of the car is exceedingly comfortable and room. Back seat passengers have ample head and leg room (and I'm somewhat tall and have the drivers seat all the way back). The stereo sounds very good for factory, connects and streams from your phone, has SD card slot for MP3s, and navigating through the menus is intuitive. Storage of luggage is no issue with the cavernous amount of trunk space provided. The TDI may seem anemic when looking at BHP ratings, however the copious amount of torque mated with the DSG transmission keeps the vehicle peppy. I have had no issues with a lack of acceleration. The handling and comfort of the suspension are identical to the Audi A4 when driving one right after the other. Shifts with this transmission are unnoticeable in comfort/drive and sharp and crisp in sport mode. The fuel economy ratings provided by the EPA are way low compared to what I generally get. On my urban and suburban area drive to work I average 45MPG and on the highway or rural areas I see an average of 50MPG. I have seen mileage as high as 56.2MPG on a trip averaging 60mph. The care free maintenance for the first 3 years seriously reduces the cost of ownership, providing free routine service and oil changes (which the car does a good job of reminding you of) for the first 3 years of ownership. I have had no mechanical, electrical or any other issues with this vehicle and feel very confident recommending this vehicle to anyone."

Excellent Value, Excellent Fuel Economy, Sporty

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Reason: Wife wanted something bigger

Pros: "Handling, Value, MPG, Radio, Roomy back+trunk"

Cons: "Stiff front seats, Low prestige"

bye bye

"I bought the 2.5 Gas SE with Sunroof. List was $26+K, I paid just over $23K and got 1.9% for 66 mos. so the car was an excellent value. I put 21,000 miles on it and sold it for $17K, not too bad for owning it 1.5 years. I never had any issues and the dealer took care of all the maint for free. The car was plenty large enough for 4, and was pleasant to drive. Averaged 28.5 MPG overall with very little highway driving. Mileage actually improved as the car broke in. The car is a blast to drive on backroads but the seats are a little stiff for long hauls. The A/C and Radio are top notch as are the heated seats and sunroof. Really a great value over Accord or Camry if saving money is important to you. I ended up trading it for a Buick Lacrosse CXL only because my wife and I wanted something large and plush for long rides to Disney, ect. I'm sure the VW would be cheaper to own and run but we just missed the luxury and are willing to fork over another $100 a month to have it"

bye bye

TDI SE 6 speed manual is the best one

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable, quiete and tourquey little diesel."

Cons: "Need to learn to drive manaul ecconomically."

"I typically get 47MPG combined hwy /city. Diesel is 10% above unleaded around Colorado. Recently drove to California and averaged 51.1MPG, first leg was 687 miles on 3/4 of a tank. Why go hybrid or electric? Simple diesel lowers driving cost so low it is no longer the expensive part to driving. No service problems in 45K miles. My 30K service was only $400 with service before that paid by VW."

This is definitely the best vehicle I have owned.

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "excellent price, fun to drive; affordable luxury"

"This is my second Passat and I will not likely buy anything else in the future. The car is extremely comfortable, fun to drive, and I've been averaging 33+ mpg highway and about 25 around town. The sound system is great and the driver's seat is about as comfortable as they get -- I could drive this car for hours without getting fatigued."

Great car. The diesel is a beast.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "50-56 mpg on the highway."

Cons: "The stick shift needs to get better."

"Great car, reminds me of an old supercharged Buick I had rented at LAX in the mid 90's; the ride is so supple and noise free. 90-100 mph across West Texas last trip. Felt like I was back on the autobahn which I have driven many times before. Too many pluses, try it and buy it."

Good looking, comfortable & reliable

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Handsome car, great price"

Cons: "slight window noise passenger side"

"Only 1 slight issue: in very windy conditions there is some window noise on the front passenger side. Still, best car I ever owned."

Well done VW!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Price, Fuel Efficiency, Space, Look"

Cons: "Premium features not available with Man Trans"

"Not much to complain about here, LOVE this car. Bought August 2012 fresh off shipping rig. Made in America, (love it) and absolutely amazing gas mileage. I've been keeping track and TOTAL mpg in my Passat TDI across the life of the vehicle is nearly 49. So the 42 highway rating on the sticker is a laugh, bump it up another 10 to 52 and thats more accurate. Warranty is great, I did have a malfunctioning turbo which the dealer told me was very rare. Replaced and back in the car within 5 days. Before that, VW actually sent an engineer to meet with me (from TX all the way to WV to talk to a 24 year old. I was impressed.) based on my comments from my JD Power survey answers. I wasn't happy with the tires, so they replaced them! So my experience as a whole has been great. The interior is just clean. Great tech standard with heated seats, bluetooth etc. Also, not a ton of pickup and power but still fun to drive. Doesn't have quite the same handling as a GTI or loaded Jetta, bulky turns were a little surprising. I was dissapointed that i could not get the 6 spd manual tranny with all the bells and whistles like sunroof, fender sound, 18 in wheels, body trim and NAV becuase I would have shelled out the extra dough. This car is just so WELL put together and so efficient that I can't not be thrilled with it. Overall a 10, reliability is still kind of up in the air due to turbo issue, but that has been my only one to date. Simple controls, tons of trunk space, rear leg room you have to see to believe. The list goes on and on. Love my TDi!"

it's a great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "no xenon lights"

"the car is amazing except for the week headlight hade them remained under warranty but they are not xenon lights so they are dim"

Best Sedan out there

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, Roominess, Solid build"

Cons: "Pricey but MPG compensates with TDI"

"Love this car and the MPG. Been on multiple family trips with room to spare and really cheap fuel costs. Can't beat it! Comfortable, reliable, and a great car to drive."

great handling car with deceptively fast speed

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "excellent handling car at a reasonable price"

Cons: "defrosters ,defogger not too good,"

"I enjoy driving this car. I particularly like it's handling in all conditions and it's speed. I really don't have to push the pedal much and I am cruising above the limit.I don't speed often but once on a clear long stretch of highway I decided to see how fast the car would go. I was up to 110 m.p.h. and that was enough for me (I didn't want a ticket or jail time)The car accelerated with little effort and if I wanted to I know the 160 on the speedometer would not be a problem.That was a one time thing though, I like knowing that the car has some power but I enjoy driving at a safe speed. The thing is that it really surprises me sometimes when I look at the speedometer and my speed is higher than I thought, that's why I say it's deceptively fast.The car handles well and has a good feel for the road, you don't have that soft luxury feel but more of the feel of the road with some softness. I feel like I am driving in the Alps sometimes. It's not a bad looking car, in either sense of the word,looks similar to many other cars and the interior is not flashy. The trunk is huge and I think you can fold the seats down to make an area to transport things or even sleep in. I have not had to use it in those ways yet so I might be wrong on that. The seats are comfortable and they have to be manually adjusted which I don't mind because it's one less thing to be concerned about electrical wise. Overall it's a really good car and although I am leasing it I most likely will buy it at lease end.My lease has 21 months to go and hopefully in about 19 months I can start or find a thread about people who are also going to buy the 2013 passat when their lease ends and we can compare what the dealers are asking in price and fees and also appraisals."

So far, best vehicle I've owned (SEL TDI Prem)

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG, and fun to drive, lots of room."

Cons: "Nav system could be better."

"Had a VW Rabbit diesel back in 1978. Swore I would never have another VW, not b/c of the car, but b/c of the dealer and VW attitude. We shopped and drove Toyota, Honda, Ford, Nissan, & Kia. Only looked at VW b/c son in law ask me to ck it out. I was not the least bit interested in a diesel. Our test drive was in an SE TDI. It sold me! I did have concern about long term upkeep. Almost bought the Accord, but glad we settled on the Passat SEL. This car is a pleasure to drive. In 8000+ miles it has ave an actual 44+MPG. Seating is very comfortable for both wife & me. Able to go 700 miles in one day with no back issues, like we had in our Acura TL. Just get the Nav Sys updated and it will be perfect. Just hoping for 200,000+ miles without any issues. I think the complains about interior are unfounded. This car cost $31,000, not $45,000. If you want a 'better' interior but an Audi."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Economical, Reliable, Stylish, Great Value"

Cons: "NONE- Even after driving 18 Months and 22,000mi"

"Great mileage > 50 MPG highway, enough power, quiet ride. Purchased it new, and very pleased with everything. A few nice surprises like when open door a light turns on below door to light up ground, great Fender acoustic sound. Plenty of power for passing at 70MPH plus, rides extremely well at highway speed."

Performance of a sports car in a mid size sedan

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "MPG handling performance great looking comfortable"

2012 Passat 5 spd

"Absolutely love driving this Passat. The looks and performance especially with the 5 speed manual transmission makes this a great sports sedan that fits five comfortably. I also get 32-36 MPG consistently on the H/W."

2012 Passat 5 spd

Luxury ride with sporty performance

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

"If you are looking for a luxury car and also want the fun of driving a manual transmission then you have to try out the all new 2012-13 VW Passat like I did. I was looking to replace my 2000 Audi A4 manual with a larger car and found the 2012 Passat to be my best buy.....and Motor Trends car of the year! Great looks, performance and very affordable!"

great car for the money

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "Great MPG"

Cons: "Seat foam is vey thin."

"i bought this car as I was needing a more economical vehicle to drive to work. I read all the reviews and was amazed at how great the car was according to the reviews. After driving the car for approx 1 month i was truly amazed as to how great of MPG the car really was getting. I have gotten as good as 50 a few times, but I usually get right around 46 to 48 MPG. I am giving 9 out of 10 due to the seat being very poor quality. they are not very thick when it comes to the amount of foam that is put in. I have to use a 4" pad to sit on in order to drive."

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Automatic: 7k mile

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cons: "CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little"

"My search began for a full efficient vehicle back in September of 2013. Although the main requirement was that the new vehicle be fuel efficient, I also needed it to be comfortable and full of modern conveniences, mainly because my daily work commute is 150 miles, round-trip, and if I’m going to spend that much of time in a car, it needs to be a pleasure. --RESEARCH: I researched and test drove many vehicles, including Ford Fusion Hybrid, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Lexus Hybrids, Honda Hybrids and even some fuel efficient Buicks. I considered that if I was going to get a car that had great gas mileage, then the sticker price had also better make sense. I didn’t want to pay an extra $8k for a car that would save me only $2k in fuel costs. So, it had to make sense base upon sticker price, residual value and fuel economy. The Passat came out ahead because the car was less expensive than the others (even loaded), and had an acceptable high fuel economy. Although, I did have to factor in that it uses Diesel, which is generally about 60cents more per gallon. Nonetheless, after crunching the numbers of sticker price vs. residual value, and adding in all fuel costs, the Passat was the winner. I went with almost every option that the Passat had, including GPS, leather, sunroof, satellite radio, etc. ---TEST DRIVE: When I test drove the Passat for the first time, the tings that caught my attention were the quick and “punchy” drivability and spacious interior and trunk. I had only seriously considered Hybrid cars until this, so I was growing accustomed to the not-so-sporty feel of a hybrid. The Passat turbo diesel felt like a sports car. ---FUEL ECONOMY: I have about 7K miles on my Passat after three months. I track all my fuel ups with an iPhone app, and I watch my mileage closely while traveling. I’ve had 13 fill ups so far, and my average mileage has been right about 40MPG. I travel about 80% on highways, ranging in speeds of stop-n-go-traffic to 81MPH. I sometimes will get much higher MPG, such as the low 50’s, if it’s a nice mild, weather day. So far, I’ve driven the car only in the Winter, so I haven’t seen how it performs in the warm or hot temperatures. I will say that I generally see an MPG of about 36-38MPG for the first 15-20 miles of my trips on the highway, but then I see the numbers rise as the trip gets longer…such as 53MPG. I get better fuel economy when I drive without the cruise, and when I stay below 77MPH. Overall, I think it’s fair to expect 40MPG, overall. ---DIESEL: I had no idea what a pain in the back end that it was to get Diesel for a car. Most gas stations do not carry it. It seems to be at about 30-40% of the stations. I have finally made myself a mental list of all the places in my area that carry it, so I know where to go. But, be warned, for some unknown reason, the fuel pump handles always seem to be much dirtier than the regular has handles. Therefore, I have began keeping a towel in may car truck that I use for handling the gas handle. It keeps me from smelling like Diesel all day. But, it’s all worth it to have the PUNCH that diesel provides. ---BEHIND THE WHEEL: I love the drive of the TDI Passat. In fact, I find myself anxious to drive it to work. It’s much sportier than anything I’ve ever owned. I easily accelerate past anyone on the highway or at a traffic light, without even trying. In fact, when I first began driving the car, I had somewhat teach myself some restraint, because it was just to easy to exert the power. This is NOT a sports car, however. It does extremely well in straight lines, but doesn’t handle sharp corners/turns with grace. ---SPACE: This car has more space than anyone could want. It’s surely the roomiest car that I’ve owned. The backseat is the size of many New York apartments (kidding…a bit). The truck is amazingly huge. There’s even a handy storage compartment to the left of the driver, which is great for holding my keys, wallet, etc. Not to mention a center consoler storage bin, a front console storage bin and a glove box. Oh, and the map/trash bins on the side of the doors, which also double as #3 and #4 front seat cup holders. The backseat has storage in the center pull down armrest, as well as two cup holders, and pockets on the back of the seats. ---GPS: The GPS was also a fairly important part of picking a car to me. However, I didn’t truly appreciate this cars GPS until using it for a while. The GPS is very user-friendly and quick. I was disappointed to see that it didn’t have voice recognition input, but once I began using the input screens, I realized that inputting was much faster on the Passat, than speaking on the others. I very much like the ability to input the name of a business that I’m searching for, and it gives me several options to choose from. Then, with a push a button, I can set the destination to this business, or I can even place a call to them…perhaps to reserve a table, or to check their hours of operations. Very handy! The screen is also a touch screen, so you can move around the map if you want. You can even press the rocket button, and zoom out to see birds-eye view of your entire route. Oh, and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, there’s a button to press to suggest a quick route out of the jam, and onto nearby routes. Really the best GPS that I’ve used. ---STEREO: Well, let me tell you, the Fender system rocks the house. Hands down the best audio system that I’ve heard in a car. The sound is clean, crisp and truly envelopes the listener. When I first hear music over the system, I thought a few times that was hearing a new mix of an old, familiar song, but it wasn’t. Instead, the system just makes the music sound better, and you hear more notes. I generally listen to Sirius XM (you can program 24 pre-sets on the Passat...Wow). But, it also has a hard drive, CD player, Bluetooth and SD Card reader. I can set tags/alerts on Sirius to let me know when any of my favorite songs are about to be played. Super nice. CONS: I wish the computer graphics were a little more updated and crisp, especially for the instrument cluster. Honestly, I like the body style of the CC better than the Passat. If they made a TDI CC, then I might just switch. I feel that the leather appointments are fairly scarce, and the plastic seems a little cheap. I wish they would equip these cars with a full size tire in the trunk instead of the donut. There is too long of a delay between starting the car and the rearview camera coming on. I wish the car had backup sensors. ---BOTTOM LINE: If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy the Passat without hesitation. The fuel economy is great, the drive is awesome, the entertainment is superior, the GPS is the best and it’s very, very spacious. I just hope the next generation has a more modern, sexy look."

One of the best new vehicle experiences ever

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Value, features, Fuel economy, cost of ownership"

Cons: "Voice activated Navigation would be nice"

"I recent changed jobs and had to quickly aquire a car. since I would be losing my company supplied vehicle. I wanted a comfortable car that would get good fuel mileage. I was still afraid of the technology and potential cost associated with the potentia maintence of the various hybrid being offered. Battery replacement costs really scares me I have had previous experiece with Diesel powered engines in a Ford truck, (btw I would not reccomend a Ford 2004 f-350 but that is a seperate story) so I decided to investigate diesel power vehicles. Well there were not a lot of diesle powered options in the USA. So I focussed on VW. Well I am so glad I did!! I ended up purchasing the new 2012 VW Passat TDI which by the way is now made in USA. This car has been flawless since I received it in April. Quality and fit is excpetional, features, and options are more than reuired and operate perfectly. Mileage has been better than expected. After 3 month I now have 9200 Miles on this vehicle and I am averaging 30 miles per gallon in basic travel and close to 50 MPG when on road trips that consist mostly of highway driving. The car has plenty of perfomance and the TDI engine has great performance. No this car will not win any races but there is more than enough power to get around town and merge on a freeway. Check this care out it is awesome."

Dont overlook the VW Passat TDI

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Great price; good design; comfortable ride; TDI"

Cons: "Rear view mirrors should be more squared"

"Liked the rather simple but refined styling of the 2012 Passat, so I walked out of the dealer with one. I never thought I would choose the TDI (Clean diesel) but on the test drive I liked its spunk and quiet ride...Very roomy interior, back seat/leg room near cavernous. Interior is simple, "clean", and intuitive. Car handles very well, comfortable ride. Seats are very comfortable and supportive as well. You can get German engineering and simplicity of design in a value priced, now AMERICAN BUILT mid size sedan...with a clean diesel as well. Not much more one could ask for in a practical, well designed, well built and nicely priced sedan....The Passat TDI should be high on your list, especially if you don't really want to portray a big ego about the ride you drive."

Nice Car

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "Regular fuel, Made in the USA, Rear leg room, Priced right!"

"Just bought my 3rd Passat in a row. Nice clean lines, drives really smoothly, great value, and built in the USA! Love that I don't need Premium fuel any longer. Miss some of the standard luxury options in my old 2009 Passat (I purchased the S with Appearance due to price), but overall, I do not miss them. The 2012 is fun to drive and lots of leg room in the rear for your passengers. The new body style does take some getting used to, but the more I look at it and drive it, the more I like this car."

Comfortable, Beautiful, Reliable, and Intuitive

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Comfortable, Reliable, High MPG"

Cons: "Low Horsepower"

"The 2012 Passat TDI SE is a great vehicle to own if one would love a reliable vehicle that is comfortable, beautiful, and gets excellent mileage. The exterior has subtle yet striking lines and the interior is simple yet refined for the price range. The sound system is great and the electronic features are easy to use. There is ample seating and storage room. The high level of torque makes driving fun but the lack of horsepower can get disappointing at higher rpm's if you are used to a high level of performance. Overall this is a great vehicle to own if you would like to travel in style and comfort while getting some of the best fuel mileage available. I usually average 41 mpg per tank and have gotten up to 48 mpg on a trip."

2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Value, fun to drive, fuel economy, reliable"

"Best car I ever owned. I've read all the negative comments on this and other sites. I have not experienced ANY of these negatives. I regulary get better than advertised MPG, 47 HWY, 36 City, 41 combined all without using an annoying CV transmission. This car is simply unparalleled in the midsize, mid-price sedan market."

WOW, the new all American Passat TDI is incredible

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, interior size, comfort,"

"Great car with lots of space. Rear seats are limo like...lots of room. DSG transmission is excellent choice for the TDI engine. Shifting is so smooth and electronic steering provides great feedback. Fuel millage is incredible better than most hybrid vehicles. You need to know that Passat is no Lexus or Mercedes, so if you are looking for that level of finish quality or performance you need to look somewhere else. The size of Passat and fuel economy combined are simply unbeatable. Some people complain about maintenance cost, keep in mind recommended oil changes are every 10,000 miles on Passat TDI. For the people that need rear camera, order one online for $200 from Bold Sport, spend couple hours installing it and be happy!"

Good looking vehicle with great MPG - TDI

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Great Value, Design, MPG, comfort, handling"

Cons: "may have electronic issues... :/"

"switched from a Camry Hybrid to the 2012 Passat TDI. The Passat has all the bells and whistles as compared to the Camry Hybrid basically at a comperable price. Camry had no leather or navigation. The Passat has it all and i bought it because it is a great value. Car drives great, handles awesome, fuel consumption seems to be great as well (too soon to rate at only 800 miles so far). I am a bit dissapointed as my car seems to have a electronic problem. There are times where i get in the vehicle and a warning indicator says "key not detected", when the key is in my pocket and should work. Can't start the car as it is a push start and does not have a traditional ignition to put a key in. The car is also equipped with a remote starter. Unfortunately that seems to only work when it wants to... just like with the key. I will be going back to the dealership so that hopefully they can fix this annoying problem."

Awesome!!!

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "I look forward to driving it. This is unusual 4 me"

Cons: "Upgrade the audio if standard."

"Car is not peppy, forces you to drive the way we should be driving. Value is great vs. hybrid alternative. Drives like a BMW, gas like a corolla, refined like an Audi."

All about personal tastes.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "You have to drive a Passat TDI to understand."

Cons: "You either love or hate a diesel."

"We own three 2013 Passats. Two SE with manual transmissions and one SEL Premium with the DSG. All diesels. Build quality on all is well above the norm. Styling is a sort of Teutonic understated elegance differing considerably from the competition. Some like it and others don't. Totally subjective. The TDI? While diesel fuel costs more per gallon, the per mile cost is still less than the gasoline editions. Further, the diesel's forte is the open road. No annoying downshifts and range beyond belief. Comfort levels being very good on either the SE or SEL. Just more toys on the SEL. I almost forgot upfront costs... There's a considerable premium exacted for the TDI. Quite often we overlook the fact that a good portion of this cost will be returned when the car is sold or traded. The TDI makes a huge difference in value between it and its non-TDI siblings."