2009 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 508 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Fun to Drive

By on Friday, June 01, 2007

"After 8 months of ownwership and more than 20,000 miles I consider this the most 'fun-to-drive' car I ever owned. Acceleration, Trcation and Handling is just superiour to anything in it's class. In contrast to the US and Japanese cars you still feel the 'grip' on the road and the power of the 280hp engine. Fuel economy is much better than indicated. I am doing more 80% of my driving on highways and interstates going usually 75-85 miles and get between 27 and 30 miles per gallon. In city traffic I am down to 20-23. The 4-motion is great, especially on slippery roads and on snow and ice in winter. The wagon style allows me to haul my family."

Very Smooth and Solid Ride

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value"

Love at first sight

"I have had numerous VWs and Audis, This Passat is the best! Not because it is the newest, but because the refinement in this car is fantastic. Everyone who rides in it asks again, 'What Car is this?" because it rides so smoothly over these New York Streets. I purchased this car in September of 2013 with 92k miles, and now in Feb of 2014, I have 102k miles. I have had zero issues, and have enjoyed the Fuel efficiency of the Turbo 4cyl, as well as the Power and torque this motor has. The features of my LUX edition wagon are excellant, and in my opinion, are better at thier ingunuity than the BMW, and Mercedes Wagons I looked at. I would heartily recommend this car for anyone looking for Value that carries with it Panache."

Love at first sight

Good car with hidden secrets

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Drives nice, plenty of power"

Cons: "Expensive repairs"

"I bought the car from a certified dealership in Missouri. Within six months, the car has been in the shop twice. The first time was because of a bad head gasket (70,000 miles) and the second time was because the starter went bad (74,000 miles). Luckily I had the extended 100k mile warranty on it. It is a very comfortable car and drives nice. Its quiet and smooth on the road with plenty of power. Everybody tells me not to get discouraged about keeping it. I guess I just have bad taste because I bought this car so I wouldn't have a break down with another."

My favorite Car

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Gas, drive, comfort, dependability, smooth"

"I've had plenty of cars in the past, but this car I LOVE. It has all the extra's I want, it drives smooth to this day with all the miles I've put on it. I have no problems with my Passat Komfort. The call it Komfort for a reason, it's comfortable and great for long trips. The interior is spacious and I LOVE my sound system, the option of Ipod in the glove, the storage compartments, the wide tires, the sunroof size, cruise control, gas/mileage ratio, panel information, quick pick up, and excellent trunk space. I am hesitant to buy another Passat, because I love this one too much. That's why I plan on keeping this for a very very long time. Ok, now the downer, when I use the turbo, it uses up a bit more oil so that must be watched. But then again, all turbo vehicles do just this. I did have the windows tinted, but that's the only thing I've done to it."

My first German car but not my last

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, elegant, roomy, fuel efficient, :)"

"I absolutely, positively love owing this car. I purchase it with 68k miles and have owned it for 3 years. I will admit that a few months after I bought the car I had an issue with the cooling system and had to replace the compressor which was about 1k dollars but I had an extended warranty and only paid 100 bucks for my deductible. Aside from that no other issues, love the power from the turbo powered engine and the gas mileage from the v4. I've had automatic cars and standard cars as well but this is the first car I owned with a tiptronic transmission which is the best of both worlds if you ask me. when I want to drive relaxed I put it on D but when I feel like driving stick I engage the tiptronic. Elegance and style with that sports feel if you ask me once you go german there's no coming back!"

great car all around

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "*all listed in review*"

Cons: "*all listed in review*"

personally id rather see a pic of the inside, so here it is, from the drivers seat

"im in the military, stationed in florida and this was my first car outta college. i was and am thoroughly impressed with this car. i love just about everything about it. here are a couple likes/dislikes in my opinion; LIKES: -sporty style of body as a sedan -great gas mileage (i average 32 mixed city/hwy) -amazing sound system stock -well designed interior -'little luxuries' like adjustable center council, red glow from above stick shifter, computer, chrome trim, etc... -great driving feel, very responsive -HUGE trunk -loads of interior room (im 6'3" and i still have legroom in the back seat...) -reliability -quality at price -full size spare! DISLIKES; -dont like the electric parking brake, wish there was a traditional handbrake -not many customization options out there -electronic stability control sometimes doesnt work in wet weather when taking off from a halt -manual passenger seat (no electronic adjustments at all) -$80 oil changes :( -rear brakes need to be "re-tacked" so the dealership has to do them (~$400) IMPARTIAL; -18 gallon tank -electric brakes -yes, you read that right, ELECTRIC (ie no brake fluid all wires) As you can tell i really have a lot of respect for this car, overall i cant complain. im kind of a car guy so i appreciate the responsive throttle and the turbo is beyond nice. on that note the turbo spin up time is incredibly short for being stock. i also like the tight steering and the fact that the power steering helps compensate at higher speeds. the suspension is nice, i think its a VW thing but the front suspension squeaks at low speeds (ive seen/heard 3 other passats like mine make the same noise). as far as burning oil like VW is known for, i have no problems. ive had this car a year now and between the 3 oil changes ive had to add oil once, and that was my fault because i went almost 8,000 miles on 1 oil change (i know call me dumb but everyone does it). the car is comfortable, even for me. i drove this car literally 23 hrs straight and i didnt get uncomfortable until about the 13-14 hr mark (if you dont believe me mapquest mid florida to iowa, ya 23 hrs). the noise level within the car leaves room for improvement but with the 8 speaker stereo system on your side its not really noticeable. you can definitely tell this car was designed for the autobahn because the ride of the car actually improves with speed, that and the fact when you want to pass up somebody and punch the gas the acceleration is top notch. it will literally push u back in your seat. so overall i think ive covered just about all i can. if i missed anything you were looking for specifically i apologize. ill definitely be holding onto this car for a long time, and would suggest this car to anyone."

This car is my baby!

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "The headlights and grill appear to smile at you :D"

"I love this car! It was the best "first nice car" I ever could have picked. Good price for good quality german engineering! My only bone to pick with this car is that the film/material they use over the controls around the radio/cd console seems to bubble up and chip off in reaction to hot or cold. This also happens on the interior of the door on the lock buttons. The car itself drives terrific and I feel very safe in this vehicle!"

I love it

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "very comfortable, plenty of power"

"I'm thrilled with all aspects of this car. Good gas mileage, plenty of power and plenty of interior space."

Looks great and fun to drive

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pros: "Fast, fun to drive, great winter handling, smooth sports car like ride"

Cons: "Regular maintenance can be expesive."

"I have owned my Passat for a year. I hesitated to buy it due to some of the reviews but I loved it when I drove it and I got a good price so I bought it. So a year later, I still love this car. I've had no unexpected maintenance problems. I did need breaks and it's not cheap to fix but probably what you would expect from a German car. I have the 3.6 and the car is a rocket. Drives great in the New Hampshire winter. No torque steer. Controls are very intuitive and I like the clean smooth lines of the dash. Also I get about 25mpg."

I love my Passat

By on Thursday, July 29, 2010

"This is my 3rd VW. The fastest and most powerful yet. Bought new nearly 3 years ago. Its fully loaded with every bell and whistle. Still a joy to view and drive. With the exception of a few recalls and defective head light all of which were repaired free, the car has been great. Just hit 50K."