2009 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 504 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Value and Fun

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My second Passat (previous was 2004 GLS) and this one is far and away a better car. I have the Wolfsburg Edition - a lot of content for a "reasonable" amount of money. At 4100 miles and 4 months, no problems yet. Very powerful engine (2.0T) but the transmission shifts hard. I will ask the dealer to check it out when I go in for my first service at 5k miles. Good but not spectacular gas milage (23-24 in suburban driving, 30-32 on highway). Very comfortable inside with good fit and finish, nice materials. However, somewhat noisy - could be the 17" tires. I live & drive in New Jersey and I feel quite safe in this car. VW dealer pricing is high (e.g. labor at $95/hour) but the service interval is reasonable so overall cost of ownership should be less than my 2004 Passat. I can recommend this car to anyone who wants a sporty 4 door sedan with lots of room, very safe, many extras included in the price and great handling."

Last of the European Passats

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Value, design, performance, warranty"

Cons: "Cost of maintanence, economy in town"

"The 2009 Passat was the last of the "good" Passats. In 2010, VW equipped the car with the somewhat trouble prone DSG automatic gearbox with two clutches. In 2011 there was no Passat sold in the US, and the 2012 Passat, while a very good car, has lost all of its European flair in favor of a large comfy American car design. The Passat only came in one model, the 2.0T Komfort. The car is very well equipped and a blast to drive. The car can be thirsty during stop-start driving in the city, but on the highway, the six speed automatic enables the car to return upwards of 30mpg fully loaded with luggage and passengers. That is, if you drive with a light foot. But you'll find that can be hard to do in this car. I have owned he car for two years, and had only one mechanical issue. A control module on the fuel tank failed, causing the car to stall. Fortunately, I bought this Passat from a VW dealer offering the fantasic VW Certified pre-owned program. You should too. The warranty is great, and with parts pretty expensive, you'll be happy you got it. If your VW dealer is good, like mine, you'll have no issues. The design of the car is sleek and sophisticated. Reaction from family and friends is pretty unanimous: The car looks more like an Audi than a VW. The navigation system is first rate, and can be upgraded to include bluetooth (which is now standard on all VWs for 2012). The 2009 Passat 2.0T Komfort sedan is the perfect blend of performance and economy. Prices are reasonable, as when this car was sold here, it wasn't very popular because of its $30K price tag. Used examples are very affordable. You get more for you money in the Passat."

A DISSAPPOINTING GORGEOUS CAR

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Gorgeous Styling, Driving Dynamics, Value"

Cons: "Unreliable as it gets"

"Being a die hard Honda owner for over 20 years, I decided in 2006 to change things up a bit and went with a German make. After several test drives and researching I went with the 2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Sedan. At first I fell in love with the style, driving dynamics, technology, perceived quality and standard features for a car in this class - heck - this is an Audi A4 at a discount! The only difference were the logos on the car really! My romance went away pretty quickly when the issues began to emerge from the first month of ownership. Issues: 2nd week of ownership - glove compartment lock inop - took 3 months to get new one from Germany, several check engine lights, interior parts peeling off, the headliner falling apart and replaced at 10,000 miles, the wiper motor failed twice under warranty - and recently had to change out the whole assembly at my expense during the recent Polar Vortex we have had, rear brakes replaced 3 times already, tires wore out first year of driving this car, rusted trunk lid replaced in 2013, coolant system failure, oil leaks, fuel pump/cam shaft follower replacement, and of course more and more check engine and other colorful dash lights that always come back. Overall the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far. I understand that cars have issues, however, what made the ownership experience of this car awful was the lack of a dealership network that you can count on to fix your vehicle correctly the first time after you spend a bundle taking it to them, and having to escalate to VW NA to get anything done and paid for under warranty and recall. I have serviced this car by factory standards with several "certified VW dealers" from the start, and this car continues to have issues. Luckily, I have been able to figure out how to do my own things on this car to save some money, but when it comes to it's ridiculous array of electronics - I am lost. Right now, the cruise control doesn't function anymore on the car, and I have to look at the annoying warning light gracing my instrument panel every time the car is driven. Since my wife is now a stay at home mom and doesn't drive great distances, she has decided to drive it and keep it - though I personally would have wanted to drop it into Lake Michigan and call it a day! I recently leased a 2014 Acura TSX, and vowed to never ever go back to driving a VW or any other "German Made" sedan again - point blank - I lost some money with this car but learned my lesson to never be disloyal to the car brands that have always been good to me."

Fantastic Car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "good value, attractive, comfortable"

Cons: "I can't think of any"

"This is the best car I ever owned. The quality is excellent, holds the road, excellent gas mileage (2400pm 38 mpg), attractive design, started everytime in the cold Illinois winters. I can't say enough nice about this car."

Fast, very economical, fun

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Economical (30 MPG as daily driver), comfortable"

Cons: "small door mirrors, design of center console"

"Bought the car used with 14,000 on it. It's the Sport optioned car with the 6 speed manual. I added a chip to it and this car screams! Even without the chip, the manual trans makes it a completely different animal than the garden variety automatic. Car is very smooth on the interstate, it's like a landlocked missile and is really fun to drive on back serpentine roads. Great sports suspension with minimal body roll. Brakes are adequate and without drama. Interior is well finished with typical Germanic functionality. The really additional cool factor is there were only 1750 units with the Sports package, Dynaudio and the 6 speed imported for this model year. This car has been rock steady reliable."

Good perfromance at low cost, but has problems

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Good price, avg mpg of 28. Sport mode is fun"

Cons: "Electronics issues, vinyl radio finsih flaking off"

"Bought the 2006 Passt 2.0T new and at first was very happy with it. Two things I noticed after owning it for a couple years. Has a very firm suspension which was not good for comfort on long road trips. I averaged 40,000 miles a year for the first 4 years I owned it. The electronics issues that VW is notorius for continue to plague the brand. Had problems with car not starting or stalling. VW reimbursed a year after $1,600 repair. Looked at the new Passat and the designers took away my favorite button, "Auto Brake," so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake during stop lights. The lines on the new one are too horizontal and the car looks placid instead of reserved aggressiveness. The clock in the center console looks cheap. No cool tech upgrades for the dials. Just put Momo wheels on mine and it looks very stylish for a 7 year old car. Now I just need VW to pay for replacing the radio with the stupid vinyl finish. Will continue to drive the Passat, but when the salesman's response to the laundry list of problems was, "yeah, that's the adventure in owning a VW," doesn't give me a lot of confidence to buy another one."

Great Wagon- but watch out on repairs!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Great highway driving"

Cons: "Parts are hard to come by and expensive"

"I loved this car until it hit about 100,000 miles. Then, the warranty wears off and you're paying a mint for parts. Drives very nice on the highway."

Borderline entry luxury class with good handling.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Vg handling. Good build quality. Luxurious."

Cons: "No bluetooth."

"Very good value. German quality build. Lots of features, including auto rear hatch door. Well though out car. Good performance with turbo engine plus 30mpg on highway. Luxurious interior including real wood trim and rear window shades. All around good value."

Smooth, quiet, convenient, quick

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Power, mileage, amenities, road feel"

Cons: "They don't make this model any longer"

"I've owned more than one BMW, Lexus, Acura -- and this Passat beats them all. It even drives better than its cousin, the Audi A4, and is a much better value. So many little touches that you pay thousands more to get on other cars -- or that other cars don't even have (four sun visors, umbrella holder in door so it can drain onto the road, three coin/misc holders, great wide adjustable armrest). Plus, it drives smoothly, accelerates quickly, gets great gas mileage (26 city, 33 on the road) and has a big gas tank so you can get 500 miles on a tank (hwy). If people only knew, it would outsell the Camry and Accord. The sad thing is, they don't make this model any longer. The new Passat cuts a lot of corners. I always trade after three years -- this may be the first exception. It's irreplaceable."

Poor Quality and No Factory Support

By on Monday, January 25, 2010

"Great performance, but be prepared to be on a first name basis with your dealer. Everything is special and expensive for this car. My camshaft failed at 87k. This is a known problem with this car, but VW refused to acknowledge this was an issue even though they sent out a TSB saying they had a quality issue with the camshafts. $2700 later, my car was back on the road. If you like being farfignugened by the dealer, this is the car for you!"

Japan is better

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"Bought this car new in June of 07 have had to take it to the dealer 7 times for for dash lights coming on everything from check engine to low tire pressure all the contrlos went out in steering wheel. No engine problems or trans but alot of annoying problems. This car way over engineered. Always owned Nissan or Toyota and can remember only one problem. Germans make a good looking car and rides great but to much hassel. get extended warr."

I really love this car.

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "comfort and cargo and great mileage"

Cons: "They are no longer making this model."

"I really love this car. Very comfortable and drives great. It gets great mileage and lots of cargo space."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "FUN to drive, great looking, great interior"

"This car is gorgeous, and is super fun to drive. I love the biege interior and black exterior. it is a luxury sport ride. The maintanence is expensive, but its worth it!. Gas milage not great.. but its worth it!.. you dont buy this car for economy, but for looks fun and the experience!. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy their ride. THe lights interior at night are red.. and blue super super cool. I love that too. Tires are pricey but get michellins and they will last 80000 miles, also a great lesson."

Rocket Wagen

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Performance, Build Quality, Reliability"

Cons: "Regular maintenance is a bit more expensive"

"I've owned my 3.6 wagon for about 2 years now and it's the perfect car for someone who travels for work. I drive about 25k miles/year and the Passat has proven to be fast, comfortable, spacious and durable (exterior and interior finish quality is outstanding for this price range). The only "failure" I've experienced is a defective fuel pressure sensor that was replaced under the certified warranty and otherwise, it has been absolutely reliable. If you are looking for a vehicle with the room of a mid-size SUV but handles more like a sports car, check out the Passat. My only regret is I didn't hold out for one with 4-motion all-wheel drive."

Fantactic Vehicle!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "Greatest protection with great price."

"11/14/2011 I was the victim of a crash - this car did everything I was told it would do to protect me. I may have been banged, battered, and bruised but without a doubt if I had been in any other vehicle I would not be writting this review today. Long story, short version, I stated what I wanted in a vehicle, I just didn't put a brand name on the request. God picked and placed me in the safest vehicle he could because he knew this day was coming, after all, they are made for the autobaun - and I am going back to a VW Passat. Who am I to question God's wisdom, especially when HE saved my life?"

By on Saturday, May 01, 2010

"We have an 07 Passat wagon, 4 motion w/ 3.6L. Great car that can't be stopped in the snow. Seriously, with the traction control this is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. Has more power than anyone needs in a road car, but uses it well. You can travel at the speed limit and if you need to pass, it loves to help you out. Also handles very well around town. A million features that have all worked well and the visibility is perfect. If you've had a VW before you know you either get a good one or you don't. Buy the warranty if it's offered, could prove worth it's money quickly(we had to replace a xenon headlight unit). Overall, great car that is fun to drive anywhere, anytime, with the family or alone.\"

some good, some bad

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"I bought this car one year ago. The first time I drove it I just fell in love with the car. The performance is great for the engine size and fuel economy is great. Also this is the most comfortable car I've EVER been in. trunk space is amazing. There are some bad things that come along with this car though also. For one It is in the shop anywhere from one to three times a month!!! this car is not reliable at all. If I didn't have a warranty I would be paying more to fix the car than my car payment! I recently decied to put a software mod on my car from apr and it has made all the differance in the world! 52 more horsepower, 100 more foot pounds of touque, better gas mileage, and best of all, NO ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS SINCE! overall the car is worth it of you don't mind spending a few days here and here at th dealer."

Luv this Car

By on Saturday, June 20, 2009

"I love driving this 2008 Passat Sedan. This is my 2nd VW. First was a 2002 Passat Wagon with xtra goodies like moon roof, leather interior and premium Audio system. I would still have this car if not for freak rain storm with high winds that got water into my ABS system and engine. VW are a bit pricey to maintain, but worth it if you take care of it. The new faux leather is better than I expected and I love the few xtra goodies like connection for your MP3 player or cell phone, driver side compartment, umbrella storage in door panel, etc. It zooms up hills like you were on a level road. Its nimble, quick and hugs the curves nicely. On long trips of 250 mi or more you easily get 31-32 mpg. Adjust the seats to your body and you can ride comforably on long trips. I bought it used in May 2008 and no problems yet (cross my fingers)."

Excellent Car for Tall People

By on Sunday, September 07, 2008

"I am 6'6" and I bought the car for style an comfort. I test-drove 20 sedans with my most important criteria being driver comfort, gas mileage, and styling. This was the best."

2006 Passat 2.0 Luxury

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I bought mine certified off lease; very tight car. I've owned Lexus and BMW, this car ranks right up there, but short on a few luxury feature, like full power memory seats, rain sensing windshield wipers, Very fun car. Off line power, smooth transmision, drives like a beemer, but with smoother trans, tight suspension, loaded with features. A lot of car for the money. Problems: Weak AC, cupholders, wind noise."

Best available Wagon

By on Sunday, December 09, 2007

"I have been driving this car for more than 6 month. It has all you would expect from a car: great styling, superior handling, powerful in particular with a manual trans, specious and luxurious appearance and excellent safety features. This is a great car which is worth its prices, and, speaking about the price, keep in mind that in Germany comparable equipped passats are right now almost twice as expensive as in the US and nonetheless they sell well in Germany besides the high price and cheap Japanese competitors."

Problems

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Air has gone, several items have had to be replaced - drivers lock buttons were bubbling, driver's and passengers door arm rests were pealing and both back door are bubbling."

It maybe my last VW

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"This is my second passat and I must admit I loved it. BUT I'm kind of tired of keep going to the dealership to check the warning lights. "already 5 times in a year" I think in a brand new car this is not aceptable. Everything else is fine. Once I'm done with this car I will probably go and try something else but VW."

Fun to Drive

By on Friday, June 01, 2007

"After 8 months of ownwership and more than 20,000 miles I consider this the most 'fun-to-drive' car I ever owned. Acceleration, Trcation and Handling is just superiour to anything in it's class. In contrast to the US and Japanese cars you still feel the 'grip' on the road and the power of the 280hp engine. Fuel economy is much better than indicated. I am doing more 80% of my driving on highways and interstates going usually 75-85 miles and get between 27 and 30 miles per gallon. In city traffic I am down to 20-23. The 4-motion is great, especially on slippery roads and on snow and ice in winter. The wagon style allows me to haul my family."

Very Smooth and Solid Ride

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value"

Love at first sight

"I have had numerous VWs and Audis, This Passat is the best! Not because it is the newest, but because the refinement in this car is fantastic. Everyone who rides in it asks again, 'What Car is this?" because it rides so smoothly over these New York Streets. I purchased this car in September of 2013 with 92k miles, and now in Feb of 2014, I have 102k miles. I have had zero issues, and have enjoyed the Fuel efficiency of the Turbo 4cyl, as well as the Power and torque this motor has. The features of my LUX edition wagon are excellant, and in my opinion, are better at thier ingunuity than the BMW, and Mercedes Wagons I looked at. I would heartily recommend this car for anyone looking for Value that carries with it Panache."

Love at first sight