2008 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 503 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Fast, very economical, fun

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Economical (30 MPG as daily driver), comfortable"

Cons: "small door mirrors, design of center console"

"Bought the car used with 14,000 on it. It's the Sport optioned car with the 6 speed manual. I added a chip to it and this car screams! Even without the chip, the manual trans makes it a completely different animal than the garden variety automatic. Car is very smooth on the interstate, it's like a landlocked missile and is really fun to drive on back serpentine roads. Great sports suspension with minimal body roll. Brakes are adequate and without drama. Interior is well finished with typical Germanic functionality. The really additional cool factor is there were only 1750 units with the Sports package, Dynaudio and the 6 speed imported for this model year. This car has been rock steady reliable."

Car rides fine but breaks often

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Ride"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Car drives fine but cost a lot to fix compared to American and Japanese cars. No matter what they say only runs good on premium gas. Lower grade fuel makes it run ruff. Interior finish fell off car very fast."

a whinny deva...constant repairs

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"From the beginning we have had nothing but trouble for the past 3 years. The longest we have driven the car without repair has been 5 months."

Terrible Car - Issue after Issue

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Pretty"

Cons: "Terribly expensive repairs needed regularly"

"Within 2 months of owning this Passat, we had the car in the shop for warranty work 9 times. From the trunk won't latch to the car won't even start. We had several electrical issues, that all somehow connected to even bigger issues, for example: The interior lights stopped working while driving, which lead to the trunk not latching and then once the car was turned off, it wouldn't start supposedly because the trunk wouldn't latch. We had this car at the dealership (which was not a vw deal) and then at the vw dealer more days in the months of january and february than we had it in our possession. And every issue we had was something that had to be fixed "immediately". NINE TIMES IN TWO MONTHS. DO NOT buy this car."

Last of the European Passats

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Value, design, performance, warranty"

Cons: "Cost of maintanence, economy in town"

"The 2009 Passat was the last of the "good" Passats. In 2010, VW equipped the car with the somewhat trouble prone DSG automatic gearbox with two clutches. In 2011 there was no Passat sold in the US, and the 2012 Passat, while a very good car, has lost all of its European flair in favor of a large comfy American car design. The Passat only came in one model, the 2.0T Komfort. The car is very well equipped and a blast to drive. The car can be thirsty during stop-start driving in the city, but on the highway, the six speed automatic enables the car to return upwards of 30mpg fully loaded with luggage and passengers. That is, if you drive with a light foot. But you'll find that can be hard to do in this car. I have owned he car for two years, and had only one mechanical issue. A control module on the fuel tank failed, causing the car to stall. Fortunately, I bought this Passat from a VW dealer offering the fantasic VW Certified pre-owned program. You should too. The warranty is great, and with parts pretty expensive, you'll be happy you got it. If your VW dealer is good, like mine, you'll have no issues. The design of the car is sleek and sophisticated. Reaction from family and friends is pretty unanimous: The car looks more like an Audi than a VW. The navigation system is first rate, and can be upgraded to include bluetooth (which is now standard on all VWs for 2012). The 2009 Passat 2.0T Komfort sedan is the perfect blend of performance and economy. Prices are reasonable, as when this car was sold here, it wasn't very popular because of its $30K price tag. Used examples are very affordable. You get more for you money in the Passat."

Best car owned. Very large trunk. Lots of extras

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Good mileage, excellent extras, comfortable trips"

"Love this car. Some extras: air bags all sides, front"

I absolutely love this car!

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"It handles beautifully, gas mileage is decent and I love the styling."

Love a roaring Dub!

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "fun, great looks, best Dub I've owned"

Cons: "sport suspension rides a little rough"

"With the Midwest winters, I love this car. Sticks like glue to the road. Fast too!"

Terrible reliability

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "handles well, accelerates quickly, nice drive"

Cons: "RELIABILITY"

"Problems started 1.5 years after buying; a/c seized up and had to repaired. Has required at least 2 major ($500 ) repairs per year since then. Most recently has needed 3 batteries in the past 4 months. Last trip to the dealer was for a drained battery/jump start that then resolved on its own and they couldn't find the reason for the dead battery (only 2 months old). Drives really well, very nice comfortable car, but I can't stand being at the dealership 3-4 times a year with problems."

Passat Lux, very nice classy, real leather luxury

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "luxury features, turbo power surge, driving"

Cons: "ride is a little harsh on very bumpy pavement"

"I have had several passats and this is by far the best one. I enjoy the luxury options, automatic climate control, full power seats with memory, moon roof, leather. The car handles very nice, love the power of the 2.0 turbo and the smoothness of the 6 sp auto. I have had no problems or issues. Great touring car!"

Best overall buy

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive3"

Cons: "maintince"

"Has everything you could ever want in a car, 6 speed, great gas milage, and so safe, with 10 airbags, amazing safety features, cruise controll and awesome dashboard computer. The only bad thing is the maintince, avg. oil chage will cost you about $100 but you only have to get one every 10K mi."

love my wagon

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "power performance, all wheel drive, gas mileage,"

Cons: "rubber steering wheel... in a $34,000 car."

"My wagon has been extremely reliable especially considering its a volkswagen. I believe everyone makes good cars and everyone makes bad cars. I got lucky I got a good one. I love the styling, the performance, the sunroof, the technology, the gas mileage is extremely impressive 30 on the highway, since it was new. I drive 70 and you should too. Hey its your money I guess drive as fast as you think you need right? average mpg is 23.5- the window sticker is way wrong. The dealer they've been pretty good. When I have problems with the car they fix it for free (open recalls) other than the recalls the car has been great. Aside from the fact that all of you love to slam your car doors into it, not the cars fault I guess."

worst car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reason: Unreliable constant breakdowns high price parts

Cons: "Electronic mess"

"Parts are high priced, low quality. Unreliable, repairs needed often. VW customer service is not interested in helping. Car has sizzle without substance. Resale is low. I traded it in because I couldn't look anyone in the eye and tell them it is a good car."

My favorite Car

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Gas, drive, comfort, dependability, smooth"

"I've had plenty of cars in the past, but this car I LOVE. It has all the extra's I want, it drives smooth to this day with all the miles I've put on it. I have no problems with my Passat Komfort. The call it Komfort for a reason, it's comfortable and great for long trips. The interior is spacious and I LOVE my sound system, the option of Ipod in the glove, the storage compartments, the wide tires, the sunroof size, cruise control, gas/mileage ratio, panel information, quick pick up, and excellent trunk space. I am hesitant to buy another Passat, because I love this one too much. That's why I plan on keeping this for a very very long time. Ok, now the downer, when I use the turbo, it uses up a bit more oil so that must be watched. But then again, all turbo vehicles do just this. I did have the windows tinted, but that's the only thing I've done to it."

Borderline entry luxury class with good handling.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Vg handling. Good build quality. Luxurious."

Cons: "No bluetooth."

"Very good value. German quality build. Lots of features, including auto rear hatch door. Well though out car. Good performance with turbo engine plus 30mpg on highway. Luxurious interior including real wood trim and rear window shades. All around good value."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "FUN to drive, great looking, great interior"

"This car is gorgeous, and is super fun to drive. I love the biege interior and black exterior. it is a luxury sport ride. The maintanence is expensive, but its worth it!. Gas milage not great.. but its worth it!.. you dont buy this car for economy, but for looks fun and the experience!. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy their ride. THe lights interior at night are red.. and blue super super cool. I love that too. Tires are pricey but get michellins and they will last 80000 miles, also a great lesson."

Rocket Wagen

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Performance, Build Quality, Reliability"

Cons: "Regular maintenance is a bit more expensive"

"I've owned my 3.6 wagon for about 2 years now and it's the perfect car for someone who travels for work. I drive about 25k miles/year and the Passat has proven to be fast, comfortable, spacious and durable (exterior and interior finish quality is outstanding for this price range). The only "failure" I've experienced is a defective fuel pressure sensor that was replaced under the certified warranty and otherwise, it has been absolutely reliable. If you are looking for a vehicle with the room of a mid-size SUV but handles more like a sports car, check out the Passat. My only regret is I didn't hold out for one with 4-motion all-wheel drive."

good in alot of ways, poorly designed in some

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

"The adjustments for the seats in this car are poorly designed and bizarre - half automatic, half manual. The music system is poor quality. The alert for an open gas cap flashes off an on whenever it wants, lighting up the dash. Use of back cargo space - folding down back seats, etc, is NOT optimized. Drives well, handles well in snow if with studs. Has design flaw - DRL - Daylight running lights when are "on" all the time, lead one to believe the lights are on at night, but they are not - the rear lights have no DRL feature. Easy to get pulled over by a cop because front is lit at dusk and beyong, but back is still dark with DRL feature. Could find no override."

Best of the best

By on Friday, February 03, 2012

Pros: "great car for good price"

Cons: "raer wheels should be driven not front"

"Its best car I ever had. Before I drive bmw 550 cadillac cts mercedes e350 and nissan maxima and PASSAT BEAT THEM ALL. I'm planning to change 2.0t for 3.6l it has 280hp. ;)"

vw love

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "responsive to my sporty driving"

Cons: "not one"

"I have had this car for 2 years now. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! i would buy it again in an instant."

would not buy again

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

"Constant problem with car which dealership cannot seam to diagnose properly. Every time I bring it in they say something different than the last diagnosis."

This is a great car to drive.

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

"The Passat is reliable, has a comfortable ride, safety features are great, and I would recommend it to anyone."

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cons: "mileage"

"Great car! Coming from a Meredes, I was prepared to be disappointed. Far from the truth. This car has all the perks that a top dressed Mercedes has minus the built in GPS."

My first German car but not my last

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, elegant, roomy, fuel efficient, :)"

"I absolutely, positively love owing this car. I purchase it with 68k miles and have owned it for 3 years. I will admit that a few months after I bought the car I had an issue with the cooling system and had to replace the compressor which was about 1k dollars but I had an extended warranty and only paid 100 bucks for my deductible. Aside from that no other issues, love the power from the turbo powered engine and the gas mileage from the v4. I've had automatic cars and standard cars as well but this is the first car I owned with a tiptronic transmission which is the best of both worlds if you ask me. when I want to drive relaxed I put it on D but when I feel like driving stick I engage the tiptronic. Elegance and style with that sports feel if you ask me once you go german there's no coming back!"

Awesome sport wagon!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, performance, and appeal!"

"Just purchased this car after selling my Volvo 2004 xc70. It handles like a typical well made German car with a sport suspention and quick acceleration with the 3.6 280 hp V6. Just completed a 300 mile trip and averaged 31.4 mpg on the highway. The Lux. features are really well placed. I would highly recommend this car if you're looking for a sport wagon."