2008 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 501 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Very Smooth and Solid Ride

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value"

Love at first sight

"I have had numerous VWs and Audis, This Passat is the best! Not because it is the newest, but because the refinement in this car is fantastic. Everyone who rides in it asks again, 'What Car is this?" because it rides so smoothly over these New York Streets. I purchased this car in September of 2013 with 92k miles, and now in Feb of 2014, I have 102k miles. I have had zero issues, and have enjoyed the Fuel efficiency of the Turbo 4cyl, as well as the Power and torque this motor has. The features of my LUX edition wagon are excellant, and in my opinion, are better at thier ingunuity than the BMW, and Mercedes Wagons I looked at. I would heartily recommend this car for anyone looking for Value that carries with it Panache."

Love at first sight

A DISSAPPOINTING GORGEOUS CAR

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Gorgeous Styling, Driving Dynamics, Value"

Cons: "Unreliable as it gets"

"Being a die hard Honda owner for over 20 years, I decided in 2006 to change things up a bit and went with a German make. After several test drives and researching I went with the 2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Sedan. At first I fell in love with the style, driving dynamics, technology, perceived quality and standard features for a car in this class - heck - this is an Audi A4 at a discount! The only difference were the logos on the car really! My romance went away pretty quickly when the issues began to emerge from the first month of ownership. Issues: 2nd week of ownership - glove compartment lock inop - took 3 months to get new one from Germany, several check engine lights, interior parts peeling off, the headliner falling apart and replaced at 10,000 miles, the wiper motor failed twice under warranty - and recently had to change out the whole assembly at my expense during the recent Polar Vortex we have had, rear brakes replaced 3 times already, tires wore out first year of driving this car, rusted trunk lid replaced in 2013, coolant system failure, oil leaks, fuel pump/cam shaft follower replacement, and of course more and more check engine and other colorful dash lights that always come back. Overall the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far. I understand that cars have issues, however, what made the ownership experience of this car awful was the lack of a dealership network that you can count on to fix your vehicle correctly the first time after you spend a bundle taking it to them, and having to escalate to VW NA to get anything done and paid for under warranty and recall. I have serviced this car by factory standards with several "certified VW dealers" from the start, and this car continues to have issues. Luckily, I have been able to figure out how to do my own things on this car to save some money, but when it comes to it's ridiculous array of electronics - I am lost. Right now, the cruise control doesn't function anymore on the car, and I have to look at the annoying warning light gracing my instrument panel every time the car is driven. Since my wife is now a stay at home mom and doesn't drive great distances, she has decided to drive it and keep it - though I personally would have wanted to drop it into Lake Michigan and call it a day! I recently leased a 2014 Acura TSX, and vowed to never ever go back to driving a VW or any other "German Made" sedan again - point blank - I lost some money with this car but learned my lesson to never be disloyal to the car brands that have always been good to me."

I LOVE my Passat!!

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great price, beautiful, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"My '09 Passat is AWESOME!! The handling & control in this car is like a much more expensive vehicle. When I drive a BMW or Benz, there is no difference in the feel& it is as beautiful. I would buy another one if the style had not changed so much."

Not Worth the Money New or Used -- Many Problems

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "handles well, fun to drive"

Cons: "Exterior paint issues and peeling of knobs"

"My 2006 Passat has been nothing but trouble. Engine Light issues, AC changed twice,throttle body, new transmission last year and now paint is peeling."

handles well

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "lots of pep"

Cons: "expensive upkeep"

"color is unique, fun to drive for a wagon. good quality leather seats not the cheesy leather I see on other cars. lots of little extras like the pull down sunshades in the backseat, total of 4 plugs for chargers, small storage nooks in back, compartment in door for umbrella. Cons: upkeep is more expensive than other vehicles I've had. Takes premium fuel, tires are more expensive, oil changes cost double my other car."

Best purchase for the price I ever made

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"This car has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Still get 32mpg on hwy and 26 in town. The only draw back that I can't do some of the maintenance and it is expensive for the dealer to complete."

Love Driving This Vehicle!

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Wish it had better gas mileage."

"Okay driving around in Washington traffic. Easy handling."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Gas consume, comfortable seats."

"I drove from Chicago to Philadelphia in 14 hours. It was a great trip ever. In love with Passat."

Fantastic Car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "good value, attractive, comfortable"

Cons: "I can't think of any"

"This is the best car I ever owned. The quality is excellent, holds the road, excellent gas mileage (2400pm 38 mpg), attractive design, started everytime in the cold Illinois winters. I can't say enough nice about this car."

So happy I bought this car!

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Big interior, comfortable, pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Some cheaper interior materials, hard to find!"

"Purchased my '07 Passat wagon (3.6L, 4Motion) in 2012 with 100k miles on it. It was easily the best vehicle purchase I have ever made! Not only does this car have just as much interior room as a typical SUV, the interior is well-designed and exceptionally comfortable, and the driving is just ... well, I love it. It compares very favorably to my father's BMW 3-series wagon in almost all performance aspects, yet was a fraction of the cost to purchase and maintain. Some of the interior pieces are cheap (the 'wood' paneling on the dash is the worst offender), but the ergonomics are simply outstanding. Long highway journeys are a breeze in the Passat - very comfortable, loads of on-demand power for passing, some road noise but not 'excessive', and good gas mileage cruising at (or maybe a shade above) the speed limit. And I do love pulling up next to an unsuspecting sports car and chirping all four tires off the line as I race away from them (it has a shade of lag at first, but its a heavy car, and once you get rolling it takes off like a shot)! Everyone who sees the car comments on the great styling and loves the color (Blue Graphite), and are usually impressed with the cavernous trunk space. My kid's car seat fits wonderfully in the back, but with two of them installed the seat is a bit tight for an additional adult. Overall though, this is the ideal family car and a pleasure to drive besides."

best car ever owned power,comfort, and xlt mileage

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"see above"

Fantastic Wagon.

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Tons of Lux features and a blast to drive."

Cons: "Wish the fuel economy was higher"

"We love everything about our Passat Wagon. Its been reliable, powerful, fun to drive. All the interior materials are near luxury car levels. Plenty of room. The 3.6L engine is a blast to drive, especially in sport mode. The fuel economy on the 3.6L is only OK. I can barely get 27 or 28 mpg on the highway. Its my wife's car so its not used to commute, just city driving and typical housewife suburban routes with the occasional vacation roadtrips. Overall MPG is about 22. The back seat fits our daughter's child seat fine and I've had 3 child seats across the back seat before (barely). I'm 6'3" so back seat room can get tight behind me for another 6 footer. Overall the engine and tranny have been bullet proof. the Nav system is dated by 2013 standards but it was great in '07. No Mp3 disc play back but it has an aux port. Bluetooth phone and steering wheel controls back in '07 were really cool."

Good perfromance at low cost, but has problems

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Good price, avg mpg of 28. Sport mode is fun"

Cons: "Electronics issues, vinyl radio finsih flaking off"

"Bought the 2006 Passt 2.0T new and at first was very happy with it. Two things I noticed after owning it for a couple years. Has a very firm suspension which was not good for comfort on long road trips. I averaged 40,000 miles a year for the first 4 years I owned it. The electronics issues that VW is notorius for continue to plague the brand. Had problems with car not starting or stalling. VW reimbursed a year after $1,600 repair. Looked at the new Passat and the designers took away my favorite button, "Auto Brake," so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake during stop lights. The lines on the new one are too horizontal and the car looks placid instead of reserved aggressiveness. The clock in the center console looks cheap. No cool tech upgrades for the dials. Just put Momo wheels on mine and it looks very stylish for a 7 year old car. Now I just need VW to pay for replacing the radio with the stupid vinyl finish. Will continue to drive the Passat, but when the salesman's response to the laundry list of problems was, "yeah, that's the adventure in owning a VW," doesn't give me a lot of confidence to buy another one."

Excellent car plenty of pep and great mileage

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Enjoyable car is very sporty to drive"

Cons: "DSG transmission requires fluid change every 40000"

"Bought for extra capacity of a wagon --- has fulfilled most needs. Easy on gas 25mi per gal average. The turbo four is very adequate both in town and highway driving. Unfortunately this Passat wagon was discontinued."

Love It

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

"I love my car! Sharp, smart and great value! Need better sound, MP3 but otherwise no better car for the value. We are a tall family and all four of us fit comfortably. Colonial VW takes excellent care of us! Highly recommend this- my daughter will inherit my car."

Great car

By on Monday, December 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

"Have hd this car since it had 75890 miles on it and it has never failed to peform this car is great runs strong has plen of power even wen i had a blo out at 75 mph car handle like it was still runin on all 4 tires this car is amazing would love to see them make this car again thanks vw"

Lots of expensive repairs for a young car

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"We just finished our Certified Pre-Owned time period and the transfer case is broken -- $4K repair!! The car only has 60K miles on it. VW will not cover it. Absurd."

I really love this car.

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "comfort and cargo and great mileage"

Cons: "They are no longer making this model."

"I really love this car. Very comfortable and drives great. It gets great mileage and lots of cargo space."

Great Wagon- but watch out on repairs!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Great highway driving"

Cons: "Parts are hard to come by and expensive"

"I loved this car until it hit about 100,000 miles. Then, the warranty wears off and you're paying a mint for parts. Drives very nice on the highway."

Can't stand our Passat

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

"This vehicle looks nice, but that's about it."

Good car with hidden secrets

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Drives nice, plenty of power"

Cons: "Expensive repairs"

"I bought the car from a certified dealership in Missouri. Within six months, the car has been in the shop twice. The first time was because of a bad head gasket (70,000 miles) and the second time was because the starter went bad (74,000 miles). Luckily I had the extended 100k mile warranty on it. It is a very comfortable car and drives nice. Its quiet and smooth on the road with plenty of power. Everybody tells me not to get discouraged about keeping it. I guess I just have bad taste because I bought this car so I wouldn't have a break down with another."

Looks like a Benz but has issues like a Pinto

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "2nd to none value for the price."

Cons: "All the value is sucked out in service issues."

At least it looks nice!

"This is my second Passat and I guess I failed to learn my lesson with the first costly VW. The good: The looks great and the interior is nicer than some very high end cars! The car rides very nicely minus the ample amount of wind noise. Lots of power really cool features packed all over. The BAD: Service issues one after the other, never ending and these aren't $100-$300 fixes like my Suburban, they are $1,000 plus fixes and you really end up dumping a lot of money into these cars. BEWARE, I'm done with Passats."

At least it looks nice!

i love the nav it is a passat SEDAN

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "EVRYTHING"

Cons: "NOTHING"

"i can not wate to pick it up ALSOM"

Fast, very economical, fun

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Economical (30 MPG as daily driver), comfortable"

Cons: "small door mirrors, design of center console"

"Bought the car used with 14,000 on it. It's the Sport optioned car with the 6 speed manual. I added a chip to it and this car screams! Even without the chip, the manual trans makes it a completely different animal than the garden variety automatic. Car is very smooth on the interstate, it's like a landlocked missile and is really fun to drive on back serpentine roads. Great sports suspension with minimal body roll. Brakes are adequate and without drama. Interior is well finished with typical Germanic functionality. The really additional cool factor is there were only 1750 units with the Sports package, Dynaudio and the 6 speed imported for this model year. This car has been rock steady reliable."

Car rides fine but breaks often

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Ride"

Cons: "Everything else"

"Car drives fine but cost a lot to fix compared to American and Japanese cars. No matter what they say only runs good on premium gas. Lower grade fuel makes it run ruff. Interior finish fell off car very fast."