2007 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 504 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Value and Fun

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My second Passat (previous was 2004 GLS) and this one is far and away a better car. I have the Wolfsburg Edition - a lot of content for a "reasonable" amount of money. At 4100 miles and 4 months, no problems yet. Very powerful engine (2.0T) but the transmission shifts hard. I will ask the dealer to check it out when I go in for my first service at 5k miles. Good but not spectacular gas milage (23-24 in suburban driving, 30-32 on highway). Very comfortable inside with good fit and finish, nice materials. However, somewhat noisy - could be the 17" tires. I live & drive in New Jersey and I feel quite safe in this car. VW dealer pricing is high (e.g. labor at $95/hour) but the service interval is reasonable so overall cost of ownership should be less than my 2004 Passat. I can recommend this car to anyone who wants a sporty 4 door sedan with lots of room, very safe, many extras included in the price and great handling."

Last of the European Passats

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Value, design, performance, warranty"

Cons: "Cost of maintanence, economy in town"

"The 2009 Passat was the last of the "good" Passats. In 2010, VW equipped the car with the somewhat trouble prone DSG automatic gearbox with two clutches. In 2011 there was no Passat sold in the US, and the 2012 Passat, while a very good car, has lost all of its European flair in favor of a large comfy American car design. The Passat only came in one model, the 2.0T Komfort. The car is very well equipped and a blast to drive. The car can be thirsty during stop-start driving in the city, but on the highway, the six speed automatic enables the car to return upwards of 30mpg fully loaded with luggage and passengers. That is, if you drive with a light foot. But you'll find that can be hard to do in this car. I have owned he car for two years, and had only one mechanical issue. A control module on the fuel tank failed, causing the car to stall. Fortunately, I bought this Passat from a VW dealer offering the fantasic VW Certified pre-owned program. You should too. The warranty is great, and with parts pretty expensive, you'll be happy you got it. If your VW dealer is good, like mine, you'll have no issues. The design of the car is sleek and sophisticated. Reaction from family and friends is pretty unanimous: The car looks more like an Audi than a VW. The navigation system is first rate, and can be upgraded to include bluetooth (which is now standard on all VWs for 2012). The 2009 Passat 2.0T Komfort sedan is the perfect blend of performance and economy. Prices are reasonable, as when this car was sold here, it wasn't very popular because of its $30K price tag. Used examples are very affordable. You get more for you money in the Passat."

A DISSAPPOINTING GORGEOUS CAR

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Gorgeous Styling, Driving Dynamics, Value"

Cons: "Unreliable as it gets"

"Being a die hard Honda owner for over 20 years, I decided in 2006 to change things up a bit and went with a German make. After several test drives and researching I went with the 2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Sedan. At first I fell in love with the style, driving dynamics, technology, perceived quality and standard features for a car in this class - heck - this is an Audi A4 at a discount! The only difference were the logos on the car really! My romance went away pretty quickly when the issues began to emerge from the first month of ownership. Issues: 2nd week of ownership - glove compartment lock inop - took 3 months to get new one from Germany, several check engine lights, interior parts peeling off, the headliner falling apart and replaced at 10,000 miles, the wiper motor failed twice under warranty - and recently had to change out the whole assembly at my expense during the recent Polar Vortex we have had, rear brakes replaced 3 times already, tires wore out first year of driving this car, rusted trunk lid replaced in 2013, coolant system failure, oil leaks, fuel pump/cam shaft follower replacement, and of course more and more check engine and other colorful dash lights that always come back. Overall the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far. I understand that cars have issues, however, what made the ownership experience of this car awful was the lack of a dealership network that you can count on to fix your vehicle correctly the first time after you spend a bundle taking it to them, and having to escalate to VW NA to get anything done and paid for under warranty and recall. I have serviced this car by factory standards with several "certified VW dealers" from the start, and this car continues to have issues. Luckily, I have been able to figure out how to do my own things on this car to save some money, but when it comes to it's ridiculous array of electronics - I am lost. Right now, the cruise control doesn't function anymore on the car, and I have to look at the annoying warning light gracing my instrument panel every time the car is driven. Since my wife is now a stay at home mom and doesn't drive great distances, she has decided to drive it and keep it - though I personally would have wanted to drop it into Lake Michigan and call it a day! I recently leased a 2014 Acura TSX, and vowed to never ever go back to driving a VW or any other "German Made" sedan again - point blank - I lost some money with this car but learned my lesson to never be disloyal to the car brands that have always been good to me."

Fantastic Car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "good value, attractive, comfortable"

Cons: "I can't think of any"

"This is the best car I ever owned. The quality is excellent, holds the road, excellent gas mileage (2400pm 38 mpg), attractive design, started everytime in the cold Illinois winters. I can't say enough nice about this car."

Fast, very economical, fun

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Economical (30 MPG as daily driver), comfortable"

Cons: "small door mirrors, design of center console"

"Bought the car used with 14,000 on it. It's the Sport optioned car with the 6 speed manual. I added a chip to it and this car screams! Even without the chip, the manual trans makes it a completely different animal than the garden variety automatic. Car is very smooth on the interstate, it's like a landlocked missile and is really fun to drive on back serpentine roads. Great sports suspension with minimal body roll. Brakes are adequate and without drama. Interior is well finished with typical Germanic functionality. The really additional cool factor is there were only 1750 units with the Sports package, Dynaudio and the 6 speed imported for this model year. This car has been rock steady reliable."