2007 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 507 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Value and Fun

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My second Passat (previous was 2004 GLS) and this one is far and away a better car. I have the Wolfsburg Edition - a lot of content for a "reasonable" amount of money. At 4100 miles and 4 months, no problems yet. Very powerful engine (2.0T) but the transmission shifts hard. I will ask the dealer to check it out when I go in for my first service at 5k miles. Good but not spectacular gas milage (23-24 in suburban driving, 30-32 on highway). Very comfortable inside with good fit and finish, nice materials. However, somewhat noisy - could be the 17" tires. I live & drive in New Jersey and I feel quite safe in this car. VW dealer pricing is high (e.g. labor at $95/hour) but the service interval is reasonable so overall cost of ownership should be less than my 2004 Passat. I can recommend this car to anyone who wants a sporty 4 door sedan with lots of room, very safe, many extras included in the price and great handling."

Fantastic Car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "good value, attractive, comfortable"

Cons: "I can't think of any"

"This is the best car I ever owned. The quality is excellent, holds the road, excellent gas mileage (2400pm 38 mpg), attractive design, started everytime in the cold Illinois winters. I can't say enough nice about this car."

Fast, very economical, fun

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Economical (30 MPG as daily driver), comfortable"

Cons: "small door mirrors, design of center console"

"Bought the car used with 14,000 on it. It's the Sport optioned car with the 6 speed manual. I added a chip to it and this car screams! Even without the chip, the manual trans makes it a completely different animal than the garden variety automatic. Car is very smooth on the interstate, it's like a landlocked missile and is really fun to drive on back serpentine roads. Great sports suspension with minimal body roll. Brakes are adequate and without drama. Interior is well finished with typical Germanic functionality. The really additional cool factor is there were only 1750 units with the Sports package, Dynaudio and the 6 speed imported for this model year. This car has been rock steady reliable."

Good perfromance at low cost, but has problems

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Good price, avg mpg of 28. Sport mode is fun"

Cons: "Electronics issues, vinyl radio finsih flaking off"

"Bought the 2006 Passt 2.0T new and at first was very happy with it. Two things I noticed after owning it for a couple years. Has a very firm suspension which was not good for comfort on long road trips. I averaged 40,000 miles a year for the first 4 years I owned it. The electronics issues that VW is notorius for continue to plague the brand. Had problems with car not starting or stalling. VW reimbursed a year after $1,600 repair. Looked at the new Passat and the designers took away my favorite button, "Auto Brake," so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake during stop lights. The lines on the new one are too horizontal and the car looks placid instead of reserved aggressiveness. The clock in the center console looks cheap. No cool tech upgrades for the dials. Just put Momo wheels on mine and it looks very stylish for a 7 year old car. Now I just need VW to pay for replacing the radio with the stupid vinyl finish. Will continue to drive the Passat, but when the salesman's response to the laundry list of problems was, "yeah, that's the adventure in owning a VW," doesn't give me a lot of confidence to buy another one."

Great Wagon- but watch out on repairs!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "Great highway driving"

Cons: "Parts are hard to come by and expensive"

"I loved this car until it hit about 100,000 miles. Then, the warranty wears off and you're paying a mint for parts. Drives very nice on the highway."

Borderline entry luxury class with good handling.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "Vg handling. Good build quality. Luxurious."

Cons: "No bluetooth."

"Very good value. German quality build. Lots of features, including auto rear hatch door. Well though out car. Good performance with turbo engine plus 30mpg on highway. Luxurious interior including real wood trim and rear window shades. All around good value."

Smooth, quiet, convenient, quick

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Power, mileage, amenities, road feel"

Cons: "They don't make this model any longer"

"I've owned more than one BMW, Lexus, Acura -- and this Passat beats them all. It even drives better than its cousin, the Audi A4, and is a much better value. So many little touches that you pay thousands more to get on other cars -- or that other cars don't even have (four sun visors, umbrella holder in door so it can drain onto the road, three coin/misc holders, great wide adjustable armrest). Plus, it drives smoothly, accelerates quickly, gets great gas mileage (26 city, 33 on the road) and has a big gas tank so you can get 500 miles on a tank (hwy). If people only knew, it would outsell the Camry and Accord. The sad thing is, they don't make this model any longer. The new Passat cuts a lot of corners. I always trade after three years -- this may be the first exception. It's irreplaceable."

Poor Quality and No Factory Support

By on Monday, January 25, 2010

"Great performance, but be prepared to be on a first name basis with your dealer. Everything is special and expensive for this car. My camshaft failed at 87k. This is a known problem with this car, but VW refused to acknowledge this was an issue even though they sent out a TSB saying they had a quality issue with the camshafts. $2700 later, my car was back on the road. If you like being farfignugened by the dealer, this is the car for you!"

Japan is better

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"Bought this car new in June of 07 have had to take it to the dealer 7 times for for dash lights coming on everything from check engine to low tire pressure all the contrlos went out in steering wheel. No engine problems or trans but alot of annoying problems. This car way over engineered. Always owned Nissan or Toyota and can remember only one problem. Germans make a good looking car and rides great but to much hassel. get extended warr."

I really love this car.

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "comfort and cargo and great mileage"

Cons: "They are no longer making this model."

"I really love this car. Very comfortable and drives great. It gets great mileage and lots of cargo space."