2006 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 513 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

My first German car but not my last

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, elegant, roomy, fuel efficient, :)"

"I absolutely, positively love owing this car. I purchase it with 68k miles and have owned it for 3 years. I will admit that a few months after I bought the car I had an issue with the cooling system and had to replace the compressor which was about 1k dollars but I had an extended warranty and only paid 100 bucks for my deductible. Aside from that no other issues, love the power from the turbo powered engine and the gas mileage from the v4. I've had automatic cars and standard cars as well but this is the first car I owned with a tiptronic transmission which is the best of both worlds if you ask me. when I want to drive relaxed I put it on D but when I feel like driving stick I engage the tiptronic. Elegance and style with that sports feel if you ask me once you go german there's no coming back!"

great car all around

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "*all listed in review*"

Cons: "*all listed in review*"

personally id rather see a pic of the inside, so here it is, from the drivers seat

"im in the military, stationed in florida and this was my first car outta college. i was and am thoroughly impressed with this car. i love just about everything about it. here are a couple likes/dislikes in my opinion; LIKES: -sporty style of body as a sedan -great gas mileage (i average 32 mixed city/hwy) -amazing sound system stock -well designed interior -'little luxuries' like adjustable center council, red glow from above stick shifter, computer, chrome trim, etc... -great driving feel, very responsive -HUGE trunk -loads of interior room (im 6'3" and i still have legroom in the back seat...) -reliability -quality at price -full size spare! DISLIKES; -dont like the electric parking brake, wish there was a traditional handbrake -not many customization options out there -electronic stability control sometimes doesnt work in wet weather when taking off from a halt -manual passenger seat (no electronic adjustments at all) -$80 oil changes :( -rear brakes need to be "re-tacked" so the dealership has to do them (~$400) IMPARTIAL; -18 gallon tank -electric brakes -yes, you read that right, ELECTRIC (ie no brake fluid all wires) As you can tell i really have a lot of respect for this car, overall i cant complain. im kind of a car guy so i appreciate the responsive throttle and the turbo is beyond nice. on that note the turbo spin up time is incredibly short for being stock. i also like the tight steering and the fact that the power steering helps compensate at higher speeds. the suspension is nice, i think its a VW thing but the front suspension squeaks at low speeds (ive seen/heard 3 other passats like mine make the same noise). as far as burning oil like VW is known for, i have no problems. ive had this car a year now and between the 3 oil changes ive had to add oil once, and that was my fault because i went almost 8,000 miles on 1 oil change (i know call me dumb but everyone does it). the car is comfortable, even for me. i drove this car literally 23 hrs straight and i didnt get uncomfortable until about the 13-14 hr mark (if you dont believe me mapquest mid florida to iowa, ya 23 hrs). the noise level within the car leaves room for improvement but with the 8 speaker stereo system on your side its not really noticeable. you can definitely tell this car was designed for the autobahn because the ride of the car actually improves with speed, that and the fact when you want to pass up somebody and punch the gas the acceleration is top notch. it will literally push u back in your seat. so overall i think ive covered just about all i can. if i missed anything you were looking for specifically i apologize. ill definitely be holding onto this car for a long time, and would suggest this car to anyone."

This car is my baby!

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pros: "The headlights and grill appear to smile at you :D"

"I love this car! It was the best "first nice car" I ever could have picked. Good price for good quality german engineering! My only bone to pick with this car is that the film/material they use over the controls around the radio/cd console seems to bubble up and chip off in reaction to hot or cold. This also happens on the interior of the door on the lock buttons. The car itself drives terrific and I feel very safe in this vehicle!"

I love it

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "very comfortable, plenty of power"

"I'm thrilled with all aspects of this car. Good gas mileage, plenty of power and plenty of interior space."

Looks great and fun to drive

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pros: "Fast, fun to drive, great winter handling, smooth sports car like ride"

Cons: "Regular maintenance can be expesive."

"I have owned my Passat for a year. I hesitated to buy it due to some of the reviews but I loved it when I drove it and I got a good price so I bought it. So a year later, I still love this car. I've had no unexpected maintenance problems. I did need breaks and it's not cheap to fix but probably what you would expect from a German car. I have the 3.6 and the car is a rocket. Drives great in the New Hampshire winter. No torque steer. Controls are very intuitive and I like the clean smooth lines of the dash. Also I get about 25mpg."

I love my Passat

By on Thursday, July 29, 2010

"This is my 3rd VW. The fastest and most powerful yet. Bought new nearly 3 years ago. Its fully loaded with every bell and whistle. Still a joy to view and drive. With the exception of a few recalls and defective head light all of which were repaired free, the car has been great. Just hit 50K."

The car I like the most of any I have owned.....

By on Friday, February 12, 2010

"But there have been a few headaches - under warranty fortunately - the biggest being the mechanical high pressure fuel pump - which acted up for 3 months before the code showed up on the computer, then the dealer "lost" the tool that calibrates the new part - which took 28 days to get a new one in. I had a loaner car the entire time, which is a pain. Also, after that happened, the electronic parking brake failed...."

Beware

By on Friday, April 3, 2009

"I have 27000 miles and had the following problems: replaced all interior carpet due to leak from A/C because hose from A/C wasn't connected, hood latch wouldn't open hood, full size spare turned out to be 16" rather than 17" that were on the car, windshield wiper gear broke due to heavy snow, wiring harness replaced per warranty recall, water pump replaced per warranty due to leak. Like the car but concerned about future problems once 3 yr warranty ends."

LONG TIME VW OWNER

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I have had this 2008 Passat for about 10 months. It has been great. This is my second Passat (2001) and the 6th VW in the family. I have never had a major problem with any of them. I read about all the nightmare reviews of some folks and I must be just lucky. This Passat has been great. The only issue so far is that one of the Home Link buttons stopped working, and I got a new visor with new buttons under warranty. I get better then advertised gas mileage, 23/29."

By on Monday, December 1, 2008

"I have owned this car for 3 years. and it has 36,000 miles. Love the design and it is extremely roomy and comfortable. When it was working properly, the car drove great, but it's only 3 years old and I have had serious problems with the engine and fuel pump. It's in the shop now (has been for over a week while they order numerous parts to try to fix it). Twice within the last 8 months, the check engine light went on because there was no oil in the car despite the fact that I change the oil every 4000 miles when it doesn't even need to be changed until 5000 miles!! (The car left me and my 2 kids stranded about 200 miles from home). They are trying to figure out why the car is burning oil like that. My warranty runs out in about 12 months and I will make sure it is traded in before the warranty expires. Worst vehicle I have purchased as far as reliability and performance."