2006 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 512 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

The car I like the most of any I have owned.....

By on Friday, February 12, 2010

"But there have been a few headaches - under warranty fortunately - the biggest being the mechanical high pressure fuel pump - which acted up for 3 months before the code showed up on the computer, then the dealer "lost" the tool that calibrates the new part - which took 28 days to get a new one in. I had a loaner car the entire time, which is a pain. Also, after that happened, the electronic parking brake failed...."

Beware

By on Friday, April 3, 2009

"I have 27000 miles and had the following problems: replaced all interior carpet due to leak from A/C because hose from A/C wasn't connected, hood latch wouldn't open hood, full size spare turned out to be 16" rather than 17" that were on the car, windshield wiper gear broke due to heavy snow, wiring harness replaced per warranty recall, water pump replaced per warranty due to leak. Like the car but concerned about future problems once 3 yr warranty ends."

LONG TIME VW OWNER

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I have had this 2008 Passat for about 10 months. It has been great. This is my second Passat (2001) and the 6th VW in the family. I have never had a major problem with any of them. I read about all the nightmare reviews of some folks and I must be just lucky. This Passat has been great. The only issue so far is that one of the Home Link buttons stopped working, and I got a new visor with new buttons under warranty. I get better then advertised gas mileage, 23/29."

By on Monday, December 1, 2008

"I have owned this car for 3 years. and it has 36,000 miles. Love the design and it is extremely roomy and comfortable. When it was working properly, the car drove great, but it's only 3 years old and I have had serious problems with the engine and fuel pump. It's in the shop now (has been for over a week while they order numerous parts to try to fix it). Twice within the last 8 months, the check engine light went on because there was no oil in the car despite the fact that I change the oil every 4000 miles when it doesn't even need to be changed until 5000 miles!! (The car left me and my 2 kids stranded about 200 miles from home). They are trying to figure out why the car is burning oil like that. My warranty runs out in about 12 months and I will make sure it is traded in before the warranty expires. Worst vehicle I have purchased as far as reliability and performance."

I'm Disappointed

By on Friday, April 4, 2008

"We bought the 2006 New Passat when it first came out and have now had it for 2 1/2 years. Unfortunately we have an "electrical gremlin" in this car that our dealer cannot fix.....The last straw was when it died last night on a busy main street in the evening and needed to be towed to the dealer. I am so unhappy because I love the styling, the zip of the turbo and the handling of this car.....But being stranded is not worth it. I am so disappointed and cannot in good conscience recommend this car. I will be trading it in tomorrow......"

In my Opinion the Passat is the best all around.

By on Monday, March 3, 2008

"I just picked up a new 2008 Passat Komfort Wagon. This is the third Passat I have owned. They are a great value with amenities and features found on much more expensive cars. Certainly they are equivalent to the BMW 3 Series if not better. In my experience they are also very reliable although I have read ratings reports that this is not the case. I had a 2002 which I owned for 4 years. I never had a problem with it and replaced it with a 2006 which I still have. I only have to bring it in for the regular service intervals (every 5,000). Now we have the 2008 as well. It is also a very safe car; the 2002 I mentioned was totaled in a serious accident. I walked away from it without a scratch. I don't think you can ask for much more in a car: value, reliability and safety. The one thing that irks me about VW is the service cost but then again they are no worse than any other dealer."

Wish they had retained the German 'feel'

By on Sunday, March 2, 2008

"This is my fourth Passat, and it's a great car for someone who doesn't car much about feeling the road. All-in-all, it's positive, but I wish I could have gotten a stick with a sunroof, but that's not an option. (Adding a sunroof is part of a package that also includes the automatic/tiptronic transmission.) The other downside is the rather soft suspension. It's a huge difference from years past, and not a good change from my perspective."

Reliable!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I have had this car since October 2005 when they first came out with the new model. I have driven extensively in it and have had no problems whatsoever in regards to performance. The only issue I have had is the door handle started peeling and the lock/window buttons began to bubble, but they replaced those no questions asked. I have had great luck with VW's, I previously leased a 2003 Jetta and had NO problems with it at all! I think VW puts out a good quality vehicle for the price."

Perhaps my second best car owned over 60 years.

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage for it's size. Looks great."

"A beautiful car with lots of room in cabin and trunk. It and it's on board appointments have functioned well over three years. It is comfortable and reliable."

Fantastic Wagon.

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Tons of Lux features and a blast to drive."

Cons: "Wish the fuel economy was higher"

"We love everything about our Passat Wagon. Its been reliable, powerful, fun to drive. All the interior materials are near luxury car levels. Plenty of room. The 3.6L engine is a blast to drive, especially in sport mode. The fuel economy on the 3.6L is only OK. I can barely get 27 or 28 mpg on the highway. Its my wife's car so its not used to commute, just city driving and typical housewife suburban routes with the occasional vacation roadtrips. Overall MPG is about 22. The back seat fits our daughter's child seat fine and I've had 3 child seats across the back seat before (barely). I'm 6'3" so back seat room can get tight behind me for another 6 footer. Overall the engine and tranny have been bullet proof. the Nav system is dated by 2013 standards but it was great in '07. No Mp3 disc play back but it has an aux port. Bluetooth phone and steering wheel controls back in '07 were really cool."

Excellent car plenty of pep and great mileage

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Enjoyable car is very sporty to drive"

Cons: "DSG transmission requires fluid change every 40000"

"Bought for extra capacity of a wagon --- has fulfilled most needs. Easy on gas 25mi per gal average. The turbo four is very adequate both in town and highway driving. Unfortunately this Passat wagon was discontinued."

worst car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reason: Unreliable constant breakdowns high price parts

Cons: "Electronic mess"

"Parts are high priced, low quality. Unreliable, repairs needed often. VW customer service is not interested in helping. Car has sizzle without substance. Resale is low. I traded it in because I couldn't look anyone in the eye and tell them it is a good car."

What a Blast!

By on Monday, May 24, 2010

"Our car has the Sport package so the ride is stiffer than some would like - but I LOVE IT! This car is incredibly comfortable and user friendly. It is a total blast to drive. My "Other Car" is a Porsche, so you know I like performance. This car (AWD) is door-blowing fun to drive. If you are a quiet cruiser type, you're wasting your money. But if you like to DRIVE, you won't be disappointed."

great car

By on Friday, April 9, 2010

"Really great car. I bought it at 47k miles; no serious problems, excellent condition, all extras you can imagine. The only problem for now, after one week driving - the original battery needs to get replaced."

excellent car

By on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"I bought this car almost 2 years ago with 20,000 miles now. It seems the car gets better with miles, such a fun car with the best performance for any 4 cyl. cars out there, very comfortable, ride is smooth, we use premium gas and getting 25 miles per gallon in city. and 32 highway, i have owned many vw but this is my fave by far... buy it, i have never been in shop except for schedule maint. 2.0 turbo is awesome."

unique combination

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I desired a manual transmission, Xenon Headlamps that swivel, 17 lb/hp or better, fuel economy in the upper 20's, price near 30k. This is the only car that fits. The torque curve is flat and wide, so it actually encourages me to keep the revs low and watch the fuel economy soar. In mixed city highway driving, been averaging 28 mpg. The U-turns are extremely tight and comparable to compact cars making parking quite easy. The electronic parking brake is a cool feature, as well as a hill holder. That's worth showing off, pull up to a hill, and leave your right foot off the brake and above the gas without rolling backward."

Good Car; Bad Asset

By on Monday, May 5, 2008

"I really do love this car, but I am ready to move on. Unfortunately, the vehicle has depreciated by 55% in the two year I have owned it. Thus, I am upside-down on the car and will have it for the indefinite future. I would strongly recommend researching the value retention of this vehicle as compared to other similar sedans. If that is not a problem (if you are intending on paying cash up-front or desire to keep the car for five or more years), then the Passat is a great purchase."

Too much maintenance

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I've owned this car for about 2 1/2 years and have 24K miles so far. Been to the dealership for various things that they just can't seem to fix. The electric windows don't function properly and despite two times trying to fix it, they can't do it. More annoying than that, is that for 2 years in a row, around October when the weather starts getting cooler, I have had a terrible odor coming from the a/c system. They told me that this was normal and that they had to do a septic flush to the tune of over $100 each time. I'm 43 yrs. old and have owned numerous vehicles and NEVER had to do this before to a vehicle. On top of that, the last time they did a "septic flush", it really didn't work, but yet they claim they can't smell the odor. As others have mentioned, the service lights are annoying, as well as the "tire pressure too low" lights - they come on if the pressure is the least bit off and won't go off until you get all tires' pressures the same. That being said, the car is beautiful and drives well with lots of interior room (just not very pleasant to be in when the odor won't go away!!!!)"

worst car ever

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"bought new brand in last part of 2005 the totaly redsigned model for 2006...was the 1st one on the lot! I paid full cash @ $28,900.00 fully loaded....I thougt I was getting a great deal! loved the car the 1st month!...went from an MB e420 to this monster 1st-I noticed a pop sound when I would go over hills, I took the car in @ 5000 miles as service calls for. Service found nothing and told me I was out of my mind 2nd-then @ 8000 miles it started smoking. took in @ 10000 miles. oil rings went bad, had to rebuild engine @ what time they found the trans had been installed incorrectly from where the pop sound was coming from. 3rd @ 12000 miles my check engine light was coming on....started sounding really rough, some knocking....was the lifters going out...@ next sevice (15000 miles) they went ahead and replace engine... 4th @ 17000 miles started to smoke again (very little) and the engine light was coming on at times.....I drive lot for my type of work! I had this car for only 9 months. I had enough! took the car @ 19000 miles to carmax and sold it for $15,000.00 and from there went down the road and bought another e350....with no problems! what was I thinking! fill pitty on the one who ends up with this LEMON! oh ya who likes losing $12000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Too Good!

By on Saturday, December 8, 2007

"At 6'7" this car is exceptionally comfortable and roomier than anything domestic or anything under $35k (I tried them all). 2007 2.0T has great power and acceleration and blows away nearly anything on the highway. Consistently 32 mpg on the highway with 6 speed automatic trans. Great styling, performance and comfort. This car defines value while being a very cool and high performance German engineered performance vehicle. At 36,000 miles in just over a year this car has had absolutely no problems and is still just as quiet and smooth as the day I purchased it. Anyone who rides with me is totally impressed with the ride, handling, performance and quiet. Optional manual Tectronic transmission works great, but rarely used. Highly recommended vehicle, best I have ever owned."

very good vehicle

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Purchased car two years ago, new. No major problems. Very reliable so far. Good dealership attention/service. Some problem with musty odor in A/C system. Took it back and dealer solved the problem. Turbo 4 very responsive and economical to operate. We have gotten over 38 mpg on the highway. Averaging around 25 to 26 overall. Ample head and leg room, overall, comfortable interior."

GREAT PACKAGE

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"Bought the 2006 v6 with luxury package, certainly priced right with all the options, much less than BMW (traded my 740il). This is NOT a BMW, but based on what you get for the money, it is a decent substitute. I tried the infiniti, acura & nissan, but the Passat gave me the "german" sport feel. Reliability has been good so far."

HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I have a 2007 passat sport 2.0T loaded to the max ($33,560 msrp). It is very stylish and if you like to go fast it corners like a dream (go with the sport)! The 2.0T has plenty of power so dont waste the $3600 to upgrade to the 3.6. I did have to take it in to the shop at 4200 miles, the motor for the passenger seat quit working the dealership replaced it with no problem. It is pricey but so far worth it. I am worried about winter driving so i think I will take off the 18" tires and put on 16" with snow tires for the winter. Hope this helps."

luxurious and fun

By on Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"This car desserves a 6 star rating in everything. Good power, great handling, reliability, and style. So much fun to drive, itmakes you feel young, and it looks so cool on the outside."

Great Car!

By on Sunday, July 8, 2007

"This is my first VW and definitely NOT my last. The 2 liter turbo engine performs very well and interior fit and finish is great. I average 28.5 MPG on my daily 20 mile commute to work. I have had more people compliment this car than my previous BMW X3. This car has excellent quality paint, with almost no orange peel, so much better than the awful garbage they call paint on BMW's. I love this car and VW will definitely be on the top of the list for my next car. My one gripe is that the rear seats are reclined to far and they cant be adjusted."