2006 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 506 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

worst car ever

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"bought new brand in last part of 2005 the totaly redsigned model for 2006...was the 1st one on the lot! I paid full cash @ $28,900.00 fully loaded....I thougt I was getting a great deal! loved the car the 1st month!...went from an MB e420 to this monster 1st-I noticed a pop sound when I would go over hills, I took the car in @ 5000 miles as service calls for. Service found nothing and told me I was out of my mind 2nd-then @ 8000 miles it started smoking. took in @ 10000 miles. oil rings went bad, had to rebuild engine @ what time they found the trans had been installed incorrectly from where the pop sound was coming from. 3rd @ 12000 miles my check engine light was coming on....started sounding really rough, some knocking....was the lifters going out...@ next sevice (15000 miles) they went ahead and replace engine... 4th @ 17000 miles started to smoke again (very little) and the engine light was coming on at times.....I drive lot for my type of work! I had this car for only 9 months. I had enough! took the car @ 19000 miles to carmax and sold it for $15,000.00 and from there went down the road and bought another e350....with no problems! what was I thinking! fill pitty on the one who ends up with this LEMON! oh ya who likes losing $12000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Too Good!

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"At 6'7" this car is exceptionally comfortable and roomier than anything domestic or anything under $35k (I tried them all). 2007 2.0T has great power and acceleration and blows away nearly anything on the highway. Consistently 32 mpg on the highway with 6 speed automatic trans. Great styling, performance and comfort. This car defines value while being a very cool and high performance German engineered performance vehicle. At 36,000 miles in just over a year this car has had absolutely no problems and is still just as quiet and smooth as the day I purchased it. Anyone who rides with me is totally impressed with the ride, handling, performance and quiet. Optional manual Tectronic transmission works great, but rarely used. Highly recommended vehicle, best I have ever owned."

very good vehicle

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Purchased car two years ago, new. No major problems. Very reliable so far. Good dealership attention/service. Some problem with musty odor in A/C system. Took it back and dealer solved the problem. Turbo 4 very responsive and economical to operate. We have gotten over 38 mpg on the highway. Averaging around 25 to 26 overall. Ample head and leg room, overall, comfortable interior."

GREAT PACKAGE

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Bought the 2006 v6 with luxury package, certainly priced right with all the options, much less than BMW (traded my 740il). This is NOT a BMW, but based on what you get for the money, it is a decent substitute. I tried the infiniti, acura & nissan, but the Passat gave me the "german" sport feel. Reliability has been good so far."

HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I have a 2007 passat sport 2.0T loaded to the max ($33,560 msrp). It is very stylish and if you like to go fast it corners like a dream (go with the sport)! The 2.0T has plenty of power so dont waste the $3600 to upgrade to the 3.6. I did have to take it in to the shop at 4200 miles, the motor for the passenger seat quit working the dealership replaced it with no problem. It is pricey but so far worth it. I am worried about winter driving so i think I will take off the 18" tires and put on 16" with snow tires for the winter. Hope this helps."

luxurious and fun

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"This car desserves a 6 star rating in everything. Good power, great handling, reliability, and style. So much fun to drive, itmakes you feel young, and it looks so cool on the outside."

Great Car!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"This is my first VW and definitely NOT my last. The 2 liter turbo engine performs very well and interior fit and finish is great. I average 28.5 MPG on my daily 20 mile commute to work. I have had more people compliment this car than my previous BMW X3. This car has excellent quality paint, with almost no orange peel, so much better than the awful garbage they call paint on BMW's. I love this car and VW will definitely be on the top of the list for my next car. My one gripe is that the rear seats are reclined to far and they cant be adjusted."

Sleeper hit

By on Thursday, June 14, 2007

"I've had the 3.6 for a year and a half and the performance is spectacular. The car is a ball to drive and it gets surprisingly great mileage even when pushed.I consistently get 30 on the highway doing 70 and in the low 20's in the city. I was nervous about VW quality but have had zero issues with this car. I have owned much more expensive cars but this one blows away past Jags and a Llexus. If you can go for the sport package- the seats are awesome."

Very reliable, good looking, fast and fun to drive

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, very good warranty, good economy"

Cons: "Jack is difficult to use. Seat controls awkward"

"All around great car with excellent gas mileage."

Fastest, best handling car I have ever had!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great handling,gas mileage, and cargo room"

Cons: "Cup holders need work"

This is a year ago. The snow is deeper today, 21 February 2014.

"As the Review Summary says, I think this is the fastest, best handling car I have ever had! And I have had quite a few cars since my first one in 1972!"

This is a year ago. The snow is deeper today, 21 February 2014.

I LOVE my Passat!!

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great price, beautiful, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"My '09 Passat is AWESOME!! The handling & control in this car is like a much more expensive vehicle. When I drive a BMW or Benz, there is no difference in the feel& it is as beautiful. I would buy another one if the style had not changed so much."

handles well

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "lots of pep"

Cons: "expensive upkeep"

"color is unique, fun to drive for a wagon. good quality leather seats not the cheesy leather I see on other cars. lots of little extras like the pull down sunshades in the backseat, total of 4 plugs for chargers, small storage nooks in back, compartment in door for umbrella. Cons: upkeep is more expensive than other vehicles I've had. Takes premium fuel, tires are more expensive, oil changes cost double my other car."

Best car owned. Very large trunk. Lots of extras

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Good mileage, excellent extras, comfortable trips"

"Love this car. Some extras: air bags all sides, front"

Love a roaring Dub!

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "fun, great looks, best Dub I've owned"

Cons: "sport suspension rides a little rough"

"With the Midwest winters, I love this car. Sticks like glue to the road. Fast too!"

Best overall buy

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive3"

Cons: "maintince"

"Has everything you could ever want in a car, 6 speed, great gas milage, and so safe, with 10 airbags, amazing safety features, cruise controll and awesome dashboard computer. The only bad thing is the maintince, avg. oil chage will cost you about $100 but you only have to get one every 10K mi."

good in alot of ways, poorly designed in some

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

"The adjustments for the seats in this car are poorly designed and bizarre - half automatic, half manual. The music system is poor quality. The alert for an open gas cap flashes off an on whenever it wants, lighting up the dash. Use of back cargo space - folding down back seats, etc, is NOT optimized. Drives well, handles well in snow if with studs. Has design flaw - DRL - Daylight running lights when are "on" all the time, lead one to believe the lights are on at night, but they are not - the rear lights have no DRL feature. Easy to get pulled over by a cop because front is lit at dusk and beyong, but back is still dark with DRL feature. Could find no override."

Best of the best

By on Friday, February 03, 2012

Pros: "great car for good price"

Cons: "raer wheels should be driven not front"

"Its best car I ever had. Before I drive bmw 550 cadillac cts mercedes e350 and nissan maxima and PASSAT BEAT THEM ALL. I'm planning to change 2.0t for 3.6l it has 280hp. ;)"

vw love

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "responsive to my sporty driving"

Cons: "not one"

"I have had this car for 2 years now. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! i would buy it again in an instant."

Fantastic comfort, terrible mechanical quality

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Reason: Multiple mechanical failures

Pros: "Comfort, interior design, sound system, turbo"

Cons: "Mechanically unsound"

"I purchased a very lightly used 2010 Passat Komfort in mid 2010 and used that car for a cross country road trip. I owned it for 31 days, and, out of those, the car spent 8 days in the shop. I had a oil pan malfunction, that required replacement; then, on our road trip, the check engine light came on and we were told the intake manifold was faulty - and that we could have been stranded at any time during our trip. I couldn't trust the car after that - basically I purchased a lemon. Other than the mechanical issues, the Komfort was extremely comfortable to drive. Not terribly quiet, but the seats are very nice, the leather is good quality, the surfaces are largely soft touch and of good quality feeling. The engine, 2.0 turbo charged, is peppy and ready to go, and on twisty Northern Cal highways the Komfort did well (though it is not an M3, to be sure). The sound system was also quite good. In all, I loved this car when I test drove it. I still love the comfort of the seats and the overall interior design, and the pep and ready-to-go nature of the turbo charged engine. I just hated the mechanical faults, and had to trade it in because I couldn't trust it not to strand us on road trips. I have been told that VW (and Audi) has excellent engineering but poor manufacturing, especially when the cars are manufactured anywhere other than Germany. If you are buying new, insist on checking the VIN and find out if the car was built in Germany."

Good Vehicle, Great MPG and fast when needed!!!!!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive I love to hear that turbo whistle...."

Cons: "a/c vents dnt aim low enough..no radio ilumination"

"I have always liked the line of the passat , leather is really nice but was a bad choice for the Arizona weather.. Tires from dealer only lasted 25K and rear brakes about the same (because of the E brake function) don use it if you don't want to spend 360 dlls at the dealer for new pads...e brakes are complicated and cant be changed at home unless you know about them enough. Reliable car. In comfort I gave it 4 stars because the passenger seat is fully manual to recline and has one of the worst systems a turn knob to do it... come on VW you could of done better...the interior gear shift indicator plate the chrome is bubbling off the plastic (arizona heat).....other than that is a great car and has given me a lot of miles of reliability and speed."

Fun to drive

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great value for the price."

Cons: "Wish it came with a leather-wrapped steering wheel"

"Had this car now for almost four years and knock on wood, no reliability issues so far. Mileage and handling is great. I have a 4-year old kid. Great car for a family with one or two kids and at the same time some sport-feel driving; i.e., not a standard boring midsize family sedan. Would definitely recommend. Did not come with a leather-wrapped steering wheel, but no problem. Ordered a steering wheel cover from Wheelskins (the kind that you stitch on the wheel) and it worked out great."

Best car I ever had!

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Excellent value (and speed) for the size."

Cons: "No Navigation."

"I drove my Passat a few times long distance (over 500 miles) and it still drives like the first day I bought it! It's truly German engineering at its best for this type of a mid-size, family car. Seats are really comfortable and it leaves most SUVs in the dust when in the S gear. Love it and don't want to sell it!"

REPAIRS, REPAIRS, REPAIRS

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Fun drive, safe, comfy, looks great, handles great"

Cons: "Repairs must be certified, tires are not cheap,"

"I love this cars safety features, and it has never left me walking but since owning it I have had the following issues and repairs: - Blower (blows A/C and Heat)$400.00 - A/C (Compresser blew)$1,000.00 - Camfollower $2,600.00 - Control Arm (Front driver) $800.00 - Multiple sensors (estimated total) $700.00 - Window electics $200.00 - Labor at $75.00 and hr. $1,500.00 - Diagnostics tests (each time my check engine light has came on)$89.00 each, $900.00 - Amp for my sterio went out $900.00 (just the part) - Amp didnt fix problem, im about to have to take in again to see what other issues are there. ---- Total before fixed sterio in 3yrs of owning $9,000.00 in repairs on a car I bought at $16,000.00 in 2008, I love my car but its a pain and has been to costly to keep up, I dont down those who get this car but I am just writing this so you see the possable issues you may have, I may have just gotten a lemon but Its not worth it to me -JR"

Great German Car for the Price

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

"This is a great German car for the price. Gets good gas mileage."

Really nice car but very expensive to maintain

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"I have a 2009 CC with the 2.0 and a 6 speed manual. It has a beautiful car to drive over 40K miles, BUT, it is a female dog to maintain. Just before it went out of warranty, the dealer where I take it for service (not where I bought it) replaced both the clutch pedal assembly and the intake manifold under warranty. Since then the clutch pedal has come loose twice. I just took it in for the 40K service. The service mgr said it's supposed to be loose like that. It was not loose before replace, and they tightened it once after service. Which brings me to the 40K service. VW covers service through 30K. At 40K they make it up with a $400 plus service charge. It's really too bad. It takes away from the terrific driving dynamics and beauty of the styling. The car is a delight on the twisties and still turns heads after 2 1/2 years. My advice is lease if you can stay under 40K miles during your lease. If you buy it, be prepared for very hefty maintenance and repair bills."