2006 Volkswagen Passat

7.9

Based on 488 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Looks and Drives Like New

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 2.0L--IMMACULATE—BLACK PLEATHER INTERIOR---HEATED SEATS--POWER OPTIONS—Premium Sound System—sunroof—automatic and manual shift --Vehicle History Report—New Car Rust Protection (Ziebart)—74,000 miles --LOOKS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW--A MUST SEE TO APPRECIATE"

I love this vehicle, it is very powerful.

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Fun to Drive, Powerful Engine, comfor"

Cons: "Pricey to repair.. Keep up preventive maint."

"This car ride is smooth and comfortable, inside as well as the outside is stylish, nice cock pit - fully loaded. The only thing I regret is the expense involved with repairs. My suggestion is buy extended warranty make sure everything is covered. The prior owner covered up a vacuum leak that cost me about $700. to repair. Other than that I am very satisfied with this purchase, In fact back in 2006, this car priced in the mid to upper 30Ks. I would not have been able to afford it. But even now in 2014 this is a beautiful looking and performing machine."

Cons: "None except burning oil which is supposedly normal"

"Had a 2001 prior to this (1.8 liter turbo, manual) but the '08 with 2.0 turbo, automatic is much faster. I'm 6' 3" and there is plenty of leg and head room. Handles very well. Gas mileage could be better, especially in suburban traffic (23-25 mpg)and have never seen better than 32 mpg on highway (I do drive 10 over the limit which contributes to lower mpg). This is a typical German car requiring maintenance. Had a shreaded cam follower and needed new intake cam and high pressure pump. Thankfully, covered under warranty. Also, check oil often, it does burn about 2 quarts every 3,000 miles."

After Volvo & Mercedes, Finally a Car Unmatched

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Same engine as Audi 5A (2.0T)..great pick up the"

"After Volvo & Mercedes, Finally a Car Unmatched for Performance, Quality & Value Same engine as Audi 4A & 5A (2.0T)..great pick up and sound of this engine"

Very reliable, good looking, fast and fun to drive

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, very good warranty, good economy"

Cons: "Jack is difficult to use. Seat controls awkward"

"All around great car with excellent gas mileage."

very trustful car

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "everything about this car"

"If you change the oil regularly( requires full synthetic) and check the water level,this car will give you no problem unless you are extremely unlucky. Of course you have to change some parts on some miles as book says. This car meets all my expectation, very comfortable very safe, huge trunk, nice to drive,looks cool inside and outside, economic( actually I was expecting better for fuel consumption but still better then most of the cars). The negative things, you need to use full synthetic oil but they are not too expensive any more. And also you have to use min 91fuel because car has turbo engine."

Fastest, best handling car I have ever had!

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Fast, great handling,gas mileage, and cargo room"

Cons: "Cup holders need work"

This is a year ago. The snow is deeper today, 21 February 2014.

"As the Review Summary says, I think this is the fastest, best handling car I have ever had! And I have had quite a few cars since my first one in 1972!"

This is a year ago. The snow is deeper today, 21 February 2014.

biggest peice I've ever owned

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive when working correctly"

Cons: "always in the shop!"

"bought used and from day one the engine light has been on fixed problem still comes on. Always something wrong, interior is really nice but the plastic at your feet is coming off. Plenty of truck space."

Perhaps my second best car owned over 60 years.

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage for it's size. Looks great."

"A beautiful car with lots of room in cabin and trunk. It and it's on board appointments have functioned well over three years. It is comfortable and reliable."

Very Smooth and Solid Ride

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value"

Love at first sight

"I have had numerous VWs and Audis, This Passat is the best! Not because it is the newest, but because the refinement in this car is fantastic. Everyone who rides in it asks again, 'What Car is this?" because it rides so smoothly over these New York Streets. I purchased this car in September of 2013 with 92k miles, and now in Feb of 2014, I have 102k miles. I have had zero issues, and have enjoyed the Fuel efficiency of the Turbo 4cyl, as well as the Power and torque this motor has. The features of my LUX edition wagon are excellant, and in my opinion, are better at thier ingunuity than the BMW, and Mercedes Wagons I looked at. I would heartily recommend this car for anyone looking for Value that carries with it Panache."

Love at first sight

A DISSAPPOINTING GORGEOUS CAR

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Gorgeous Styling, Driving Dynamics, Value"

Cons: "Unreliable as it gets"

"Being a die hard Honda owner for over 20 years, I decided in 2006 to change things up a bit and went with a German make. After several test drives and researching I went with the 2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Sedan. At first I fell in love with the style, driving dynamics, technology, perceived quality and standard features for a car in this class - heck - this is an Audi A4 at a discount! The only difference were the logos on the car really! My romance went away pretty quickly when the issues began to emerge from the first month of ownership. Issues: 2nd week of ownership - glove compartment lock inop - took 3 months to get new one from Germany, several check engine lights, interior parts peeling off, the headliner falling apart and replaced at 10,000 miles, the wiper motor failed twice under warranty - and recently had to change out the whole assembly at my expense during the recent Polar Vortex we have had, rear brakes replaced 3 times already, tires wore out first year of driving this car, rusted trunk lid replaced in 2013, coolant system failure, oil leaks, fuel pump/cam shaft follower replacement, and of course more and more check engine and other colorful dash lights that always come back. Overall the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far. I understand that cars have issues, however, what made the ownership experience of this car awful was the lack of a dealership network that you can count on to fix your vehicle correctly the first time after you spend a bundle taking it to them, and having to escalate to VW NA to get anything done and paid for under warranty and recall. I have serviced this car by factory standards with several "certified VW dealers" from the start, and this car continues to have issues. Luckily, I have been able to figure out how to do my own things on this car to save some money, but when it comes to it's ridiculous array of electronics - I am lost. Right now, the cruise control doesn't function anymore on the car, and I have to look at the annoying warning light gracing my instrument panel every time the car is driven. Since my wife is now a stay at home mom and doesn't drive great distances, she has decided to drive it and keep it - though I personally would have wanted to drop it into Lake Michigan and call it a day! I recently leased a 2014 Acura TSX, and vowed to never ever go back to driving a VW or any other "German Made" sedan again - point blank - I lost some money with this car but learned my lesson to never be disloyal to the car brands that have always been good to me."

I LOVE my Passat!!

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great price, beautiful, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"My '09 Passat is AWESOME!! The handling & control in this car is like a much more expensive vehicle. When I drive a BMW or Benz, there is no difference in the feel& it is as beautiful. I would buy another one if the style had not changed so much."

Not Worth the Money New or Used -- Many Problems

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "handles well, fun to drive"

Cons: "Exterior paint issues and peeling of knobs"

"My 2006 Passat has been nothing but trouble. Engine Light issues, AC changed twice,throttle body, new transmission last year and now paint is peeling."

handles well

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "lots of pep"

Cons: "expensive upkeep"

"color is unique, fun to drive for a wagon. good quality leather seats not the cheesy leather I see on other cars. lots of little extras like the pull down sunshades in the backseat, total of 4 plugs for chargers, small storage nooks in back, compartment in door for umbrella. Cons: upkeep is more expensive than other vehicles I've had. Takes premium fuel, tires are more expensive, oil changes cost double my other car."

Best purchase for the price I ever made

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"This car has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Still get 32mpg on hwy and 26 in town. The only draw back that I can't do some of the maintenance and it is expensive for the dealer to complete."

Love Driving This Vehicle!

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Wish it had better gas mileage."

"Okay driving around in Washington traffic. Easy handling."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Gas consume, comfortable seats."

"I drove from Chicago to Philadelphia in 14 hours. It was a great trip ever. In love with Passat."

Fantastic Car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "good value, attractive, comfortable"

Cons: "I can't think of any"

"This is the best car I ever owned. The quality is excellent, holds the road, excellent gas mileage (2400pm 38 mpg), attractive design, started everytime in the cold Illinois winters. I can't say enough nice about this car."

So happy I bought this car!

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Big interior, comfortable, pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Some cheaper interior materials, hard to find!"

"Purchased my '07 Passat wagon (3.6L, 4Motion) in 2012 with 100k miles on it. It was easily the best vehicle purchase I have ever made! Not only does this car have just as much interior room as a typical SUV, the interior is well-designed and exceptionally comfortable, and the driving is just ... well, I love it. It compares very favorably to my father's BMW 3-series wagon in almost all performance aspects, yet was a fraction of the cost to purchase and maintain. Some of the interior pieces are cheap (the 'wood' paneling on the dash is the worst offender), but the ergonomics are simply outstanding. Long highway journeys are a breeze in the Passat - very comfortable, loads of on-demand power for passing, some road noise but not 'excessive', and good gas mileage cruising at (or maybe a shade above) the speed limit. And I do love pulling up next to an unsuspecting sports car and chirping all four tires off the line as I race away from them (it has a shade of lag at first, but its a heavy car, and once you get rolling it takes off like a shot)! Everyone who sees the car comments on the great styling and loves the color (Blue Graphite), and are usually impressed with the cavernous trunk space. My kid's car seat fits wonderfully in the back, but with two of them installed the seat is a bit tight for an additional adult. Overall though, this is the ideal family car and a pleasure to drive besides."

best car ever owned power,comfort, and xlt mileage

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"see above"

Fantastic Wagon.

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Tons of Lux features and a blast to drive."

Cons: "Wish the fuel economy was higher"

"We love everything about our Passat Wagon. Its been reliable, powerful, fun to drive. All the interior materials are near luxury car levels. Plenty of room. The 3.6L engine is a blast to drive, especially in sport mode. The fuel economy on the 3.6L is only OK. I can barely get 27 or 28 mpg on the highway. Its my wife's car so its not used to commute, just city driving and typical housewife suburban routes with the occasional vacation roadtrips. Overall MPG is about 22. The back seat fits our daughter's child seat fine and I've had 3 child seats across the back seat before (barely). I'm 6'3" so back seat room can get tight behind me for another 6 footer. Overall the engine and tranny have been bullet proof. the Nav system is dated by 2013 standards but it was great in '07. No Mp3 disc play back but it has an aux port. Bluetooth phone and steering wheel controls back in '07 were really cool."

Good perfromance at low cost, but has problems

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Good price, avg mpg of 28. Sport mode is fun"

Cons: "Electronics issues, vinyl radio finsih flaking off"

"Bought the 2006 Passt 2.0T new and at first was very happy with it. Two things I noticed after owning it for a couple years. Has a very firm suspension which was not good for comfort on long road trips. I averaged 40,000 miles a year for the first 4 years I owned it. The electronics issues that VW is notorius for continue to plague the brand. Had problems with car not starting or stalling. VW reimbursed a year after $1,600 repair. Looked at the new Passat and the designers took away my favorite button, "Auto Brake," so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake during stop lights. The lines on the new one are too horizontal and the car looks placid instead of reserved aggressiveness. The clock in the center console looks cheap. No cool tech upgrades for the dials. Just put Momo wheels on mine and it looks very stylish for a 7 year old car. Now I just need VW to pay for replacing the radio with the stupid vinyl finish. Will continue to drive the Passat, but when the salesman's response to the laundry list of problems was, "yeah, that's the adventure in owning a VW," doesn't give me a lot of confidence to buy another one."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25