2005 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 785 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Expesive to repair and maintain.

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Handles great in bad wheather"

Cons: "High Maintance"

"I so much wanted to love this car, but it has been without a doubt the most needy and expensive car I have ever owned to maintain. Granted I drive a lot, but I have put just as many miles on other vehicles and did not have to rebuild a transmission or replace a crank shaft. I will say it handles great in snow and is fun to drive; however, painful on the pocketbook. I will soon be buying a new car and cannot see myself buying another VW. I wish i did not have to say this."

do not buy, turbo troubles at 100K, $3K to $4K

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

"do not buy, turbo troubles at 100K, $3K to $4K to repair. Good driving car, but reliability is terrible. Surprised at VW, would never buy another one."

Awesome vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "safe, awesome car, very efficient,"

Cons: "No aux in"

"I have had this car for a little over two years now. Bought it with about 82,000 miles in it and it now has about 104,000. I drove it across the country last year when I moved from the Midwest to Florida. I have traveled quite a bit with it to Ohio, Georgia, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa, and Alabama. It is very reliable and dependable. I absolutely love it. When driving in the highway, I feel very safe in it, because of how stable it feels on the pavement. Gas is amazing. It goes on forever on one tank. I took a 20 hour trip and I probable spent about 150 or less on gas. The downside of owning a VW is that parts are expensive and you need a specific person to fix it for you. The safety is a plus, it's a very heavy vehicle, so you'll be very safe inside the cabin. When it comes the time to change cars, I'm sticking with VW."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, nice comfort touches"

Cons: "Parts, when you do need them, can be expensive"

"Drives wonderfully, high-quality, comfortable, and reliable car. Great pick-up and looks beautiful too. I have had it for 6 years and no major problems. In fact, I'm selling this one and going to get the exact same new car!"

Lemon

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Great gas milage, roomie, fun to drive"

Cons: "engine problems, not reliable, expensive to fix"

"I got this car when it was 6 years old. I loved the look of it and thought VW made decent cars. Less than a year into driving it, I had an oil sludge problem which lead to a number of other engine problems. I bought this car for 8,000 and all together I say I had to put 9,000 into the engine/radiator. All in all I could have ended up buying a brand new car for 17,000. I'm now finally selling it (more like getting rid of it) because I have electrical problems which will cost much more to fix than the car is worth. She had a good run, but lots of problems along the way. It's kinda sad to see her go but I know it's time."