2005 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 781 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

A Distant Cousin to the BMW M3

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "V6 Engine Power"

Cons: "Expensive Repairs/Maintenance"

"I own an E46 M3 and this Passat is the little engine that could of the M3. Driving in tiptronic mode is a blast and the car will reward you with precision inputs. It is quite expensive to maintain. It's reliability is average, and that's quite disappointing given that my '02 Passat GLX was built in Germany."

Least reliable vehicle I ever owned

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Reason: Constantly in need of dealer service

Pros: "Handled well"

Cons: "Unreliable, turbo lag , unreliable, $$$"

"Torn CV joint boots - $900 Two emission repairs - $1,700 Bad engine cam chain - $1,500 Timing belt and water pump - $1,300 Quit when dealer said I had leaking hydraulic engine mounts, leaking rear differential and needed portions of the exhaust replaced Car was kept in a garage each evening and had all dealer recommended synthetic oil changes to avoid sludge problem and also had dealer tune up and other recommended maintenance."

I love it!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fast, good handling"

Cons: "takes premium gas"

"I love this car! The interior design is nice, a bit small for the price, but it's a good fit for me! Having all wheel drive is very beneficial, and the V8 engine is phenomenal. A certain downfall is that the vehicle takes only premium gas, so 91 or higher on the pump. Repairs are also somewhat expensive, but the car is very reliable!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "Handling, build quality,"

Cons: "Maintenance seems kind of high."

"I bought this car new 11 years ago. I have owned 35 cars and this one is the best overall. Too bad VW doesn't sell Passat Wagons in the US anymore. I often tell people that German cars are best and that VW is the only one that is a good value."

Think Twice!

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Size, Good Back Seat, Easy to drive and park"

Cons: "Horrible quality"

"We bought this car from our local garage, thinking that since they bought it, it must be good. We were soon proven wrong when the heat and A/C stopped working, the passenger seat motor broke. We had the skid plate just fall off on a road trip to Canada. Needless to say we just cut it off with a hunting knife. (Quality) HA! It also refuses to start, and just the other day had the starter go in it. We are used to driving Fords, and starters being an hour fix and not too expensive. $600 later we listed the car on craigslist. We bought this used 2 years ago, put less than 30,000 miles on it and the value has nearly depreciated 50%!!! IN 2 YEARS!!! I understand that some may be perfect cars, but people please do the research and see what is most likely to fall apart"

Nothing but problems

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Reason: burns oil!

Pros: "It's roomy"

Cons: "IT BURNS OIL"

"I traded a perfectly good Mustang for a passet because I had a little boy. I figured the 4 door would make it easier on me with the carseat. The only good thing about this car is that it is roomy. But other than that it has been nothing but a money pit for me from day one. Right after I bought it, it kept breaking down I took it to the shop and found out the car was burning oil, needed a tune up, the coils were out on it. Let's just say I didn't expect to have to spend $700 on the car right after I bought it and now 5 months later it is burning oil again !! I traded it in and got me a 2012 ford focus today !! lets hope this treats me better than the passet! all I can say is buyer beware if your getting a passet."

best,most reliable Ive owned

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "Sports car handling and response, 28-32mpg hwy"

Cons: "Brakes need replacement freequently"

"excellent ride, handling,comfort. Has never left me stranded. controls convient. My wife loves it"

Too good to sell!

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Price, Quality, Economy, Appearance, Dependability"

Cons: "Sun Visors to short to use on side windows."

Looks good out in the woods.

"Quiet, comfortable, over 30mpg highway, good performance when turbo kicks in entering freeway. Never any problems on the road. Fit and finish excellent - looks same as new except for normal dings and scratches. Never any leaks or unusual noises. Styling similar to 2012 Passat, people do not believe me when I tell them it is a 2002 model. A few minor recalls, dealer fixed no charge. Used the extended warranty for 2 flat tires, axle boots changed once. Replaced motor mounts last year - fluid was seeping out the tops. A few other minor repairs made in recent years. I was considering a new car but after looking at medium size sedans no suitable replacement was found. I fully expect this car will last longer than I will. My wife refuses to give up her low mileage 95 Nissan 240sx; people walk up to our house and in parking lots asking if she would like to sell. Looks like my car buying days are about over."

Looks good out in the woods.

It rides....for a long time!

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, though a little pricey w/premium gas"

Cons: "Wish she didn't require so many garage visits"

"Bought this Passat in late-2001, had water immersion problems early on, which dealer fixed. Other than that, and the occasional brakes/engine repair as part of routine maint., this car is still in my driveway, though I now have another VW, a Touareg, to bigger hauls. This stil is my everyday, drivearound car, and I won't sell it."

Great Car to drive

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "Great car to drive, lots of giddy-up"

Cons: "Hard on the wallet with gas and repairs, 12mpg"

"Body immaculate, color is gray, Interior in good shape no rips or tears, black leather. Newer tires, new front barkes last november, new rear brakes June 2013 and front left side drive axle same time. needs right side drive axle replaced soon. Battery replaced last year too. car handles great and has great acceleration, lots of power."