2004 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 812 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

ehh

By on Friday, September 17, 2010

"I bought my 04 Passat GLX used (2 previous owners) with 73,000 miles. Thought it was a good deal but had major issues within first 2 years. (1) Both CV Joints replaced (2) Cam Seals - twice due to dealer error (3) Water pump (4) Belts replaced (5) Fuel Pump replaced at 103,000 (6) Purge valve replacement recently. The list could keep going. The water pump and belts were precautionary when the cam seals went. That repair alone cost me $1600. If it wasn't for that repair I would have gave this vehicle better ratings. Just had bad luck with Volkswagon this time. Wouldn't recommend my vehicle to someone else but maybe a similar model."

2002 Passat Wagon 1.8T

By on Friday, March 20, 2009

"Owned since new (7 years now)...no major problems, although several recalls. NEED to keep up with maintenance schedule and change Timing Belt/Water pump at 65-80K..do not wait until 105K (as manual indicates). Would never buy Used unless I had all documented maintenance records. Wife loves the way the car drives, also very sturdy/safe."

Never again

By on Thursday, March 5, 2009

"I own one of these things. never again will I own another. Continued to have problems with this car. It has cost me a small fortune to try and keep it running. Everytime that I have taken it to the shop for repair it has cost me over $700. I have put more money into repairing this car than I paid for it. I had always beleived that VW were good cars. Maybe the old one, But not this one . Please stay away from this car. I wish I would have."

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"I have had this car for 3 years and its a great car. It was 1 year when we bought it and it still looks new. No major problem. The car as good milage and excellent comfort and lots of space for cargo and a big Dog."

By on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"This car has 8 cylinders and still gets about 23 MPGs. Has plenty of power and is deceptively fast. Great touring car. Very quiet interior, controls are well thought out and placed. Very easy to put 500 miles on in a day. I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.. but it is expensive to maintain and to operate. High octane gas required, oil changes will run about $100.00(takes 9.0 quarts of oil) and it has to synthetic oil."

First VW, Love Love Love it.

By on Friday, September 6, 2013

Pros: "Very fun to drive and still gets 30mpg!"

Cons: "Cupholders do kinda stink,"

"Bought my VW Passat Wagon (2003 model) with 1.8 engine and 5spd manual over a year ago. Car had 123,000 on it then, has over 150,000 now. Yes, it cost about a grand to do the timing belt/water pump/cam tensioner routine maintenance. I would have tackled that if I currently lived where I had a garage, but I don't, and it's -30 here in the winter. I put good tires on this wagon (Michelin Pilot Exaltos) and keep the oil changed in it. A few things (power mirror, cruise control, center caps for wheels, rear windshield wiper) have given me some trouble, but for a 10 year old car with over 120k miles on it, I'm not shocked or dissappointed. I either fixed or had repaired the few minor problems I've had with this car. Overall, my wife and I love the car, love the power, love the handling, and LOVE the fuel economy. We've seen 32mpg on interstate roadtrips, and have never seen less then 26mpg with lots of town driving. We will buy another Passat wagon as soon as we have the cash for an upgraded year."

German engineering

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "drives amazing, great gas for a turbo, speedy"

Cons: "typical vw quirks"

"bought it for a family car with 200,000 miles plan on putting another 200k on it maintenance can be fairly cheap. getting the car over 100k miles and having problems with it typical expect it vws are only built for the life of the car witch is typically 100k miles but they can go forever with proper care. for over 10 years old handles like a dream picks up and goes when needed. only major maintenance problem is oil change needs synthetic. you can "Americanize" it. can run it on the next gas down from premium with only horsepower loss."

Great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. TONS of space in back of car"

"Very nice car. Excellent handling...feels like a sports car not a station wagon. Expense so far has been the frequent replacement of the breaks... I do city driving and/or short highway driving. I plan to drive it into the ground as I doubt I will do better with a new car."

perfect for every day driving.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "everything, fun to drive."

Cons: "premium fuel hurts a little"

"This is a great car. Ive owned it years from 100k to 165k and counting. I like "spirted" driving and then once you lay off the turbo it will get 33mpg highway all day."

Passat has German build quality.

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive diesel gives great fuel economy"

Cons: "Known mechanical weaknesses"

"Automatic transmission torque converter has know weakness and is expensive to repair. Affects ALL Passats. Oil pump is chain driven, later upgraded to gear driven, chain wears out also expensive to repair. Window regulators also known weakness, no VW recalls on any of these known issues. Fuel savings off-set by cost of repairs to above mentioned mechanical weaknesses."