2004 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 805 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Everyone is envious, I love mine.

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable ride, super quiet too."

Cons: "City mileage is only between 20 and 25 mpg."

"From the heated leather seats in the winter to the custom, super quiet ride I love my car. All my friends want one and two even bought one. A great used value."

Had enough!

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"I had this car for 7 1/2 years now. Every single year that I had it I have had some out-of-pocket expense for repairs or maintenance on it. Not only was the cost in money but also in time since I have no 2nd car and I had to take off to get some of these repairs. If I couldn't take the day off I had to rent a car. This happened more than a few times. Not only have I had several major repairs over the 7 years but the lousy work at the dealership caused me to sometimes have the same problem fixed multiple times. I don't want to go into more detail because I could write a book about it. Just want to warn people considering this car if you want real reliablity look elsewhere. I myself have had enough. I'm going to keep this car for the winter and in the Spring when I get my incometax refund I plan on buying something new while can still trade this car in."

Never buy a VW

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"This car has been NOTHING but trouble since I bought it. It was the biggest mistake buying it. I bought it as a certified preowned vehicle. The gas pedal sticks, I now found out it is an electrical problem VW refuses to fix. I found out the oil pan's coating flakes off and does not oil get into the engine. I am fixing the oil problem and I am selling the car."

Great Gas Mileage

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"This 4 cylinder turbo engine Passat gives very good gas mileage on freeways. I get closer to 31 mpg on free ways. But during city drive I get around 24 mpg. It's a sturdy vehicle with good controls. The thing I don't like about this vehicle is the maintenance expense, especially if you take it to VW dealer. In addition, I noticed I had an issue with its moon roof operation which was very difficult to isolate and fix. Also, this vehicle had too many recalls. In the end, I would recommend this vehicle for its road comfort, sleek style and sturdiness."

162K miles and still running strong.

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I'm a very long term VW fan. My first car was a 1962 Beetle. over the years I've had plenty of cars, but he VWs are still my favorite. I currently have a 2002 Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon with the 2.6 liter V6. We love this car. It has been very comfortable and quite reliable. As with all cars, we've had a few maintenance issues that were quickly addressed by the local dealer. Problems to date include: Leaking sun roof; plugged sun roof drains (recall issue); slight slipping of the transmission during acceleration between 35 and 50 mph. That's about it. One thing to keep in mind regarding service, always use synthetic oil (VW recommends 5W-40). So, back to the car... Quiet, comfortable and dependable. We can haul around more stuff than my father-in-law can in his Toureg! Mileage has been pretty good, about 23 mpg on average, peaking at 30+ mpg on the highway. if you enjoy affordable quality German engineering, consider the Passat."

Best of comfort and reliability

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, comfortable, reliable, practical"

"I've had my Passat for eight years and it has never needed any work outside of routine maintenance. Volkswagens are extremely reliable and comfortable. Were it not for a few cosmetic issues that have popped up over the years in addition to my dog eating three out of five seatbelts in the car, I would be driving it into the ground. The car has always been fun to drive and easy to maintain."

Great Car If taken care of and treated as required

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Luxury for a low price, Sporty drive."

Cons: "City Mileage burns the wallet"

"The Car is great to drive around in. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo, FWD. The car has comfortable seats, and the gas and break pedal give you the ability to increase speed very quickly or gently slow down. This car is fun to drive! Purchased at for 8k at 87,000 miles. Get this car only if it has quality car-fax and has been given premium gas. The car requires high maintenance and don't expect to get away with anything less than synthetic oil! make sure waterpump and timing belt are done before 95,000 miles. City mileage is not the greatest ( I get around 18mpg, Highway around 23-25mpg)"

My first commuter car

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, heated seats are best"

Cons: "1.8 T I-4 cyl. is bit underpowered."

"Bought a 2002 GLS Wagon at 52K miles. So far I have driven 3K miles and had no major repairs. Driving and handling is superb, however I feel the base model 1.8 liter - 4 cylinder- Turbocharged engine is bit underpowered at 170 HP, especially if you live in hilly areas carrying 3 or more adults plus luggage. This wagon is certainly not a performance car by any means. If given an option, opt for V6 or W8 engines. Also, it jerks quite hard when you shift gear after startup, not while driving though. Gives about 18/24 mpg. Monsoon stereo is very good. Other than that, it has a lot of space, 4 basic electrical outlets, tons of safety features, AC works fine but takes a toll on mpg. A good basic people hauler."

Worst Car EVER

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I bought this car with $85,000 miles on it and have had nothing but trouble from day one. I have has to replace the transmission, fuel pump twice, oil pump and a number of other items since I have owned it. The gas milage hasn't been that great either. I would never buy another passat."

Not worth the price, or the headaches

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Great design, car is SOOOOO quiet in and out."

Cons: "TOO MANT SENSORS!"

"Good car at first, then the sensors start going out. Hit a bump in the highway and get an airbag default that's going to cost $3k to repair. Drivers door breaks for no reason, another $400 to repair. Inline emission switch goes out, $550 for the part, $250 to install grand total of that repair is 4889.65. Seat belt sensor fault, had it diagnosed and it will be another $349 repair. Bottom line, don't buy this car unless you have a few thousand dollars just sitting in your bank account for repairs."