2004 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 797 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, sporty, good cargo space"

Cons: "sometimes parts are expensive."

"I bought my 2004 VW Passat Wagon brand new and I love it! I have the 5-speed manual and I love how sporty it is, yet can haul a lot of cargo. I have had very few problems with this car, it has been completely reliable even after 105K miles, and I expect it to be around for another 11 years at least. It handles really well, and the German engineering is top-notch. I would absolutely buy this car again, and will likely get the newest version when I eventually say goodbye to my '04 baby."

best look VW PASSAT

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

"MUST SEE DETAIL"

Money Pit

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "lots of leg room"

Cons: "too expensive to repair"

"ABS system went.....over $2000 Heater core went.....good bye another $2000 plus Now it needs exhaust system including catalytic converters... estimate is $3000 good bye to this money pit"

Outstanding Vehicles worth every penny

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Reliability, Cost, Fun, Great Car!"

"Impressive! With nearly 200,000 miles on the odometer, car is still worth about 7,000 dollars on the market (8000K in the best possible shape). It is worth buying German Diesel Technology. The engine is very reliable, as we never did anything on it, except replacing the timing belt, one sets of break pads at 160,000 miles (thanks to the tiptronic transmission), one set of tires every 100,000 miles, and one clean up to remove dust build up in the air intakes. When you think about the retail price of the car (I bought it new in 2005,) the depreciation cost of the vehicle without counting diesel fuel cost is less than 10 cents a mile. Not bad! With an average consumption of 43 miles per gallon, even at $3.50 a gallon, the overall cost is still very cheap at less than 20 cents a mile. Over the last ten years, I crossed Minnesota from the Twin City to Fargo Morehead and to Detroit Lakes in every possible blizzards and subfreezing temperatures, the car never said “no”, and held slippery pavement at all time with my 4 Energy All Season Michelin Tires. My brother in law has one too... he drives in the north of Minnesota where it is really, really, cold. His VW Passat TDI is over 230,000 miles. That tells you something!"

Money pit

By on Friday, December 12, 2014

Pros: "interior space"

Cons: "expensive maintenance, chronic issues"

"I simply wish I had never bought this car. I end up spending more money to fix it than I paid for it. Stay away .."

Low boy with a long quality ride

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

Pros: "quality-safe heavy car-"

Cons: "plastic hook for sunvisor-cover for GDO"

"I am selling my VW because of my advancing age.(80). It is low and difficult for a senior's in and out. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Diesel fast with comfortable leather seats and ample cargo space. A safe heavy car with 32/46 real diesel.(biofuel lowers these figures bet 2-5 mpg)"

Best Car for the Price

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "fun, great for road trips, worth every penny"

Cons: "The VW stealership."

"Fun and offers great gas mileage. This particular car seems to have soul and responds well to the driver. Very good looking car timeless design that still looks new."

Solidly built, smooth on the road

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Built like a tank, good ride, handling, accelerati"

Cons: "Some interior materials fail early"

"Solid German engineering sums up this car. It has a quite comfortable secure feeling ride and good handling. The brakes are excellent. The turbo 4 gas engine has some small amount of turbo lag but gives good mileage and acceleration when needed. One downside is some engine vibration in gear when at a stop. Otherwise the engine is very smooth out on the road. A caution though is to use fully synthetic engine oil as recommended by VW and change the oil at the intervals they say to. If you don't you may end up with engine sludge and having to replace the engine. I have always used the correct oil and change interval and have had no engine problems. As a note here to tuners I replaced the standard struts and shocks with Koni sport models and the front anti-sway bar with a HD one from H&R. Those small changes made this an even better car. It feels like it is nailed to the road."

Love my 02 GLX!

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Up to date looks. Reliable. Built well."

Cons: "Expensive repairs."

My old blue one. My baby (black). Boyfriend's GTI. We love VW!!!

"I absolutely love my car. This is actually my second one. Loved the first one so much (besides the fact the person I bought it from withheld a lot of information) I decided I wanted the same one. My car is my baby. If you stay on top of your routine maintenance like your supposed you, you will never have a problem. It is more pricey compared to other vehicles and you can hardly buy your products from your local car shop. The key is plan ahead and buy online (super cheap). I have learned to do all my own mechanical work, really not that hard and youtube is great! You have to stay on top of your oil changes and check regularly, when the leaks come they are hard to get rid of. The interior is great and designed clean. I love the cup holders and the heated seats. To this day I am still finding new things about this car! Engine is built solid. It is temperamental with its fuses, so always have them handy. Overall take care of it and it will take care of you. This thing will last forever. BTW the first one I owned had over 200k miles on it.."

My old blue one. My baby (black). Boyfriend's GTI. We love VW!!!

Review of 2002 VW Passat GLS Wagon.

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive,good handling"

Cons: "Takes Premium gas,repair parts too expensive"

"Overall it is a dependable automobile.Not a vehicle for casual shadetree mechanic to work on.Parts are way too expensive ."