2003 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 806 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

great, until 70K

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "great fit finish, stylish ride."

Cons: "things break down like dominos when at upper miles"

"Car was great and problem free until about 70K. Then unrelated problems kept coming and coming: no heat, leaking coolant, thurmastat, leaking gasket, rear defrost, regulator in door (works window), etc. Made all repairs at dealership, but new problems persisted. I thought it would run until 110K . Now spending too much time and money repairing and just want to get rid of it. When it worked, it was great. Loved it. Only complaint was it was a little underpowered. Great ride, sharp looking and very convenient. Even with problems mentioned above, car never failed to get me where I needed to go and never overheated."

Absolute dream!

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, great price, great engine"

Cons: "requires attention"

"Love this car. I have driven it for over 103K since bought. Timing belt is the most intensive job. Done around 80K can run about $800 if not DIY. Since I am a DIYer and a car nut, I have no problem with the extra attention this car and most German cars need. You need to know what does what and look out for potential issues. This is not a honda or a Toyota appliance. It is meant to be driven. Also, it requires regular maintenance and does not take kindly to neglect. I love the way it handles, though not on stock 15" tires. Power delivery on the 1.8T and V6 is smooth and adequate, stock. I still regularly hit up to 30-32 mpg on the highway, loaded. I only scored it low on recommendation because it is not for everybody with regards to maintenance. Other than that, I could not be happier with it. It is the longest I have ever kept a car."

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "love it, fun to drive, decent mileage"

Cons: "none...love it!"

"I've been driving this car for about a year and it's had over 200,000 miles on it since I bought it... still runs great and is a very dependable car. I took it out during the recent snowstorm and it heated right up and kept me and the engine warm without skipping a beat. In the summer, the AC is very cold and is quick to work even on the hottest of days. I definitely recommend!!!"

Passat TDI B4 wagon is amazing!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Solid German driving dynamics! DAS AUTO! Torque!"

Cons: "Lack of horsepower"

"There are not many German engineered vehicles like the Volkswagen Passat TDI sedan and wagon. They have best heated seats. The blue and pink diode gauges are a nice added touch to the interior. I wish that VW had this car in a GLX that would offer the automatic Climatronic and the rain sensor, auto dimming interior mirror, pwr. seats and last but not least the pwr. folding mirrors. The B4 passat wagon is hands down the best built and reliable Passat on the market. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

A great German road car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "rock solid at 156K, fun to drive"

Cons: "replacement parts are pricey"

"I bought the car barely used and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great blend of comfort, fun driving dynamics, and utility. It has held up well with regular maintenance and daily use. At 156K miles, it still is tight, rock solid, and fun to drive. I plan to keep it until I drive the wheels off of it - 300K seems reasonable"