2003 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 803 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

A great German road car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "rock solid at 156K, fun to drive"

Cons: "replacement parts are pricey"

"I bought the car barely used and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great blend of comfort, fun driving dynamics, and utility. It has held up well with regular maintenance and daily use. At 156K miles, it still is tight, rock solid, and fun to drive. I plan to keep it until I drive the wheels off of it - 300K seems reasonable"

Everyone is envious, I love mine.

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable ride, super quiet too."

Cons: "City mileage is only between 20 and 25 mpg."

"From the heated leather seats in the winter to the custom, super quiet ride I love my car. All my friends want one and two even bought one. A great used value."

Had enough!

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"I had this car for 7 1/2 years now. Every single year that I had it I have had some out-of-pocket expense for repairs or maintenance on it. Not only was the cost in money but also in time since I have no 2nd car and I had to take off to get some of these repairs. If I couldn't take the day off I had to rent a car. This happened more than a few times. Not only have I had several major repairs over the 7 years but the lousy work at the dealership caused me to sometimes have the same problem fixed multiple times. I don't want to go into more detail because I could write a book about it. Just want to warn people considering this car if you want real reliablity look elsewhere. I myself have had enough. I'm going to keep this car for the winter and in the Spring when I get my incometax refund I plan on buying something new while can still trade this car in."

Never buy a VW

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"This car has been NOTHING but trouble since I bought it. It was the biggest mistake buying it. I bought it as a certified preowned vehicle. The gas pedal sticks, I now found out it is an electrical problem VW refuses to fix. I found out the oil pan's coating flakes off and does not oil get into the engine. I am fixing the oil problem and I am selling the car."

Great Gas Mileage

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"This 4 cylinder turbo engine Passat gives very good gas mileage on freeways. I get closer to 31 mpg on free ways. But during city drive I get around 24 mpg. It's a sturdy vehicle with good controls. The thing I don't like about this vehicle is the maintenance expense, especially if you take it to VW dealer. In addition, I noticed I had an issue with its moon roof operation which was very difficult to isolate and fix. Also, this vehicle had too many recalls. In the end, I would recommend this vehicle for its road comfort, sleek style and sturdiness."