2003 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 785 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Great Car If taken care of and treated as required

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Luxury for a low price, Sporty drive."

Cons: "City Mileage burns the wallet"

"The Car is great to drive around in. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo, FWD. The car has comfortable seats, and the gas and break pedal give you the ability to increase speed very quickly or gently slow down. This car is fun to drive! Purchased at for 8k at 87,000 miles. Get this car only if it has quality car-fax and has been given premium gas. The car requires high maintenance and don't expect to get away with anything less than synthetic oil! make sure waterpump and timing belt are done before 95,000 miles. City mileage is not the greatest ( I get around 18mpg, Highway around 23-25mpg)"

Stay away from the 1.8T Models

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, speed"

Cons: "Expansive oil changes and routine maintenance."

"The 1.8T was redesigned to fit in the B5 Passats which causes the oil not to flow correctly causing sluge. You MUST use the VW approved oil or you end up with a dead engine sitting on the side of the road. ALSO the timing belt MUST be change or it will fail without notice causing a total engine failure leaving you on the side of the road. Other than that, great mileage, fun to drive, and VW drivers always get speeding tickets. Its built for speed and comfort and you will notice that when you passing a State Trooper at 90 MPH!!!"

run, don't walk, far away from this car!

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "good pick-up, feels safe-when running"

Cons: "$$$$ it's always something"

"I purchased this car used with 17,000 miles on it. I thought it was the car I always wanted. This car is a taker. I have done all the required maintenance plus more, ALOT more. With only 76,000 miles on this hunk of junk, I cannot believe anything except this car is a lemon. I had the oil sludge problem-typical for this model, constant faulty sensors-too numerous to mention, exhaust, axle, parking lights got stuck on....even the antennae fell off. I only drive 2 miles to work, I have not abused it. It has been far more abusive to my wallet. The huge repair bills have prevented me from getting a new car sooner. I refuse to drop one more cent into this car. Good-bye Passat forever."

I love it!

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "6-Disc CD player doesn't always work"

"It's German, so very different from Japanese and American that I've driven in the past, but it's a beautiful car with a smooth ride and good power when I need it."

My first commuter car

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, heated seats are best"

Cons: "1.8 T I-4 cyl. is bit underpowered."

"Bought a 2002 GLS Wagon at 52K miles. So far I have driven 3K miles and had no major repairs. Driving and handling is superb, however I feel the base model 1.8 liter - 4 cylinder- Turbocharged engine is bit underpowered at 170 HP, especially if you live in hilly areas carrying 3 or more adults plus luggage. This wagon is certainly not a performance car by any means. If given an option, opt for V6 or W8 engines. Also, it jerks quite hard when you shift gear after startup, not while driving though. Gives about 18/24 mpg. Monsoon stereo is very good. Other than that, it has a lot of space, 4 basic electrical outlets, tons of safety features, AC works fine but takes a toll on mpg. A good basic people hauler."

A Superbly Satisfying Driving Experience!

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Ride, handling, engine excellence, interior"

Cons: "Repairs are unanticipated and Costly!"

"Were it not for the fact that the car drives and performs as great at 140K miles as it did at 140 miles I would have dumped it after the transmission needed repair at 85K miles. When the car needed a $6.7K valve job at 120K miles, I considered junking it, only it still drove as well (and had more features) than the 2013 Passat TDI I considered buying. Being a retired Seasoned Citizen, I agonized over the cost of new cars with the features and comfort that this aging beauty still provides - so the annoying price of repair is overshadowed by my pleasure each day I drive it. The car is a dream to drive on long trips, where it regularly gets 26 MPG on 3,000 mile vacation trips; and I get 22.5 MPG in the Winters; and 23.5 MPG in the summers around Kalamazoo. As close as I can tell, the new Passats are NOT as well appointed and built as this 2003 model, and I could not justify purchasing subsequent Passat models. My current choice for its replacement is a 2013 Camry Hybrid - just for the mileage and anticipated better reliability."

Dont waste your time

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "to costly, waste of money"

"I've had this car for around 2 years. So far I've had to replace tons of things like my Axle, my brakes and pieces under the hood. the interior fabric on the doors is pealing off and loose. The positives are the gas milage and the trunk room."

Great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. TONS of space in back of car"

"Very nice car. Excellent handling...feels like a sports car not a station wagon. Expense so far has been the frequent replacement of the breaks... I do city driving and/or short highway driving. I plan to drive it into the ground as I doubt I will do better with a new car."

VW W8 wonder wagon

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "wonderful driving experience and handles snow well"

Cons: "Expensive dealer repair!"

"I absolutely love this car. Gets 20 mpg in town, 26 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. Feels like a great german car should feel and goes like scat!! VW needs to go to bat on a few issues like the original torque converter and engine timing problems. VW says the replacement parts are up to the challenge, but they can be expensive. I have owned BMW's before and like this car more!"

perfect for every day driving.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "everything, fun to drive."

Cons: "premium fuel hurts a little"

"This is a great car. Ive owned it years from 100k to 165k and counting. I like "spirted" driving and then once you lay off the turbo it will get 33mpg highway all day."

The Passat looks better than it actually runs.

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable seating, quick speed turbo engine"

Cons: "tons of mechanical issues, expensive to fix"

"I've always heard Volkswagons 'will run forever' however after just paying it off (5 yr loan) I must begin to look for other car options and sell mine. I bought the car at only 5 yrs old, and now at 10 it has got to go. In addition to a monthly car payment, I had to put back for a monthly car fund! Every other month something was continously going bad. From door latches, to a new battery, to chronic engine coils going bad time after time. This car that looks so good, runs so bad. I was very disappointed with how much money I put out for this car. It will always be a 'lemon' to me, taking every dime I had to fix. Not to mention how hard it is to find an out-sorced mechanic that knows how to work on VOlkswagons. When I drove the car off the lot after purchase and went for gas, that was when I found out it was premium gasoline ONLY. I love the look of the outside and inside of the car, always will. However when it comes to durablity and dependablity you won't find it in this passat. I will not buy a Volkswagon again, nor promote to my friends and family. Very displeased."

This car is my baby love her!

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

"Bought new in 2004 have always taken very good care with maintenance schedules etc. Car has NEVER let me down or disappointed me. Had to replace heater core in 2011 and coolant tank due to sludge in 2012 other than that never any problems. This is a 15 year car IMO if maintenance is kept up!"

sexy classic and never out of style

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"a little pricey in maintenance but not lacking in style and maneuverability My sexy minx."

Follow owners manual maintanence, you'll be fine!

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "VW's = pleasure to drive!"

Cons: "none worth mentioning"

"Very nice car, have to love the German engineering. It has little quirks like every single auto maker out there, but overall is a great car and very fun to drive. I don't understand how somebody can buy a car with 100K plus miles on it then whine about having to replace suspension parts and other regular maintanence things. You HAVE to do that on all cars!!! Follow your owners manual schedule and the car will give you years of great driving."

VW Passat Wagon V6 GLX Great and powerful car!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "Great design, powerful engine, solid suspension"

Cons: "milage, cost of service and maintenance by dealer"

das auto

"When you go to Europe you will see a lot of these cruising around in different generations. Why? Because it's reliable, durable and stylish vehicles. Europeans prefer the diesel engines over the gas but I love the power of my car. Well built, fully equipped family car with great suspension. The design is so solid and simple that you don't feel it's outdated or old. It's a car looking car not like some of the Korean designs. Those looks outdated after 2 years. Maintenance and oil changes are more expensive than Japanese cars but it gives you so much more pleasure to drive. You should find alternative options for repair. The VW dealerships are expensive. Go there for major tune-up only. My other car is a Honda Accord so I know what I am talking about."

das auto

Love the look and driving it, but unreliable.

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pros: "Style and driving experiernce."

Cons: "Unreliable and expensive parts and repair."

"We've had this car for 7 years now and initially fell in love with the look and driving experience of it. Had 14,000 miles on it when we bought it from the VW dealer. The first year was without issue then about every 6 months something went wrong. The last straw was at 55,000 miles the water pump went out, a $1000 job on this thing(1.8T), they do the timing belt at the same time. It went out again at 101,000. It has been an endless list of repairs including 2 sets of brakes with calipers and rotors, a master cylinder, both axle shafts, all 4 shocks/struts, valve cover gasket, washer fluid pump, 3 ignition coils, 2 sets of plugs, complete front end rebuild(ball joints and etc), front exhaust flex pipe, 3 sets of tires, the factory radio went out, coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and a general cheap feel to the interior trim(breaks easy). Now it needs both front wheel bearings. Last VW/Audi I will ever buy."

Solid performance

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

"I'm impressed with the cargo space. With 2 kids and weekly weekend trips the Wagon is just unbeatable. Hwy mileage is great - city not so much though. Still, compared with an SUV this is so much better."

Stilll rock solid at 187k

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Overall drivability, comfort, "grin" factor, room"

Cons: "Relative repair costs"

"Purchased as a certified vehicle with 18k miles, it has been my best experience with a car. I had 3 Accords prior and was compelled to sell each by 160k (I no longer felt safe and comfortable on the highway). My Passat still feels more solid and steady than the many cars I rent (though a recent rental of a Volvo C30 was quite nice) and I would drive it cross-country today without hesitation. It can be expensive to repair, but still a fraction of the cost of new vehicle depreciation. I have had less to repair than my Accords."

Don't buy this car if it has over 100k

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Reason: Money Pit - 8 hours to remove altenator

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Money pit, bad electrical"

"I bought a 2002 Passat GLX with 144k miles and it was a money pit. The catalytic converter went out, CV Axle, and valve cover gasket. Because the V6 is crammed into such a little space you have to remove the entire front bumper just to remove the alternator or water pump... which is an 8 hour job. Alternators go out and it is ridiculous that it cannot be easily removed like most cars. Plus, German cars with high miles have horrible electrical problems. My trunk lid pops open when you turn the car off. Plus, the door ajar light on dash keeps coming on all the time. Most of the reviews on here are from people who bought one with under 100k miles... which is why they give it high ratings. They never had to do a repair yet. The minute they have to do one and shell out $1000 they will get rid of it. Sure the car looks nice and drives well... but I would never buy one again."

great car if you get it from a second/third owner

By on Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pros: "drives great/ very quiet/ confortable"

Cons: "full tank is 21 gallons/ parts are expencive"

"the car is great love the sunroof the leather the heated seats its power everything about it is good. i dont like how it fits 21.1 gallons into its tank because i can never fill it always 75% or 25%. besides that and also that the dealer cheated me with one that needed some fix up actualy alot of fix up i had it returned to fix it all up and he saw it cost is expidentualy high. besides that the car is great. if everything is taken care of and if you buy it at a good condition."

Great Car, Great Price

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Great price, Great Millage, Good look"

Cons: "None so far"

"I just purchased this car from a used car dealer I also got an extended car warranty. If anything goes wrong I pay a 100 and they fix what ever is wrong. So far I like it. Fully loaded and I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off."

A great German road car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "rock solid at 156K, fun to drive"

Cons: "replacement parts are pricey"

"I bought the car barely used and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great blend of comfort, fun driving dynamics, and utility. It has held up well with regular maintenance and daily use. At 156K miles, it still is tight, rock solid, and fun to drive. I plan to keep it until I drive the wheels off of it - 300K seems reasonable"

Great example of quality German engineering

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe and austere."

Cons: "Not a car for everybody, you pay for what you get."

the machine

"The only downside of this car is the year, 2004 in my case, which means the design, principally the exterior one, needs to be updated. Everything continues to work in this car since day 1. Bottom line is, if you treat the car well (i.e. do the proper maintenance and drive how it was meant to be driven) than you have got a winner, particularly if you enjoy the driving a car that lets you feel it and the road, a differential of the German engineering. I guess I am biased, but the car has been great for me. The so called huge costs to fix the car, are not a factor if you maintain it correctly."

the machine

My 1st car

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "great on gas , leather ,sunroof, good bass system"

Cons: "to expensive and everything breaks"

"I purchased My 2004 V4 4motion Passat almost 3months ago from a used dealership. the day i left the dealership my "check engine" light came on . I was told the coolant system was going out. the dealership stated they would have it fixed . i got it back and 3 day later the light came back on along with other problems . Oil leaks , Cover valve Gasket went out, and for some reason the car over heated. i was told the car was fine but the very next day im stranded on the side of the road. so far i have put over 1000$ in the almost 3months i have owned it and im a college student.. Im in the process of selling to pay off my loan and a down payment on a Toyota."

Great fuel efficiency!

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Reason: Wanted bigger vehicle

Pros: "Fun to drive- efficient- international"

Cons: "None..."

"The reason I didn't like it was it wasn't roomy enough for my taste other than that... Great vehicle!"