2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 812 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Absolute dream!

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, great price, great engine"

Cons: "requires attention"

"Love this car. I have driven it for over 103K since bought. Timing belt is the most intensive job. Done around 80K can run about $800 if not DIY. Since I am a DIYer and a car nut, I have no problem with the extra attention this car and most German cars need. You need to know what does what and look out for potential issues. This is not a honda or a Toyota appliance. It is meant to be driven. Also, it requires regular maintenance and does not take kindly to neglect. I love the way it handles, though not on stock 15" tires. Power delivery on the 1.8T and V6 is smooth and adequate, stock. I still regularly hit up to 30-32 mpg on the highway, loaded. I only scored it low on recommendation because it is not for everybody with regards to maintenance. Other than that, I could not be happier with it. It is the longest I have ever kept a car."

Stilll rock solid at 187k

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Overall drivability, comfort, "grin" factor, room"

Cons: "Relative repair costs"

"Purchased as a certified vehicle with 18k miles, it has been my best experience with a car. I had 3 Accords prior and was compelled to sell each by 160k (I no longer felt safe and comfortable on the highway). My Passat still feels more solid and steady than the many cars I rent (though a recent rental of a Volvo C30 was quite nice) and I would drive it cross-country today without hesitation. It can be expensive to repair, but still a fraction of the cost of new vehicle depreciation. I have had less to repair than my Accords."

A great German road car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pros: "rock solid at 156K, fun to drive"

Cons: "replacement parts are pricey"

"I bought the car barely used and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great blend of comfort, fun driving dynamics, and utility. It has held up well with regular maintenance and daily use. At 156K miles, it still is tight, rock solid, and fun to drive. I plan to keep it until I drive the wheels off of it - 300K seems reasonable"

great, until 70K

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "great fit finish, stylish ride."

Cons: "things break down like dominos when at upper miles"

"Car was great and problem free until about 70K. Then unrelated problems kept coming and coming: no heat, leaking coolant, thurmastat, leaking gasket, rear defrost, regulator in door (works window), etc. Made all repairs at dealership, but new problems persisted. I thought it would run until 110K . Now spending too much time and money repairing and just want to get rid of it. When it worked, it was great. Loved it. Only complaint was it was a little underpowered. Great ride, sharp looking and very convenient. Even with problems mentioned above, car never failed to get me where I needed to go and never overheated."

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pros: "love it, fun to drive, decent mileage"

Cons: "none...love it!"

"I've been driving this car for about a year and it's had over 200,000 miles on it since I bought it... still runs great and is a very dependable car. I took it out during the recent snowstorm and it heated right up and kept me and the engine warm without skipping a beat. In the summer, the AC is very cold and is quick to work even on the hottest of days. I definitely recommend!!!"

Passat TDI B4 wagon is amazing!

By on Friday, August 8, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "Solid German driving dynamics! DAS AUTO! Torque!"

Cons: "Lack of horsepower"

"There are not many German engineered vehicles like the Volkswagen Passat TDI sedan and wagon. They have best heated seats. The blue and pink diode gauges are a nice added touch to the interior. I wish that VW had this car in a GLX that would offer the automatic Climatronic and the rain sensor, auto dimming interior mirror, pwr. seats and last but not least the pwr. folding mirrors. The B4 passat wagon is hands down the best built and reliable Passat on the market. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

Best of comfort and reliability

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, comfortable, reliable, practical"

"I've had my Passat for eight years and it has never needed any work outside of routine maintenance. Volkswagens are extremely reliable and comfortable. Were it not for a few cosmetic issues that have popped up over the years in addition to my dog eating three out of five seatbelts in the car, I would be driving it into the ground. The car has always been fun to drive and easy to maintain."

Great Car If taken care of and treated as required

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Luxury for a low price, Sporty drive."

Cons: "City Mileage burns the wallet"

"The Car is great to drive around in. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo, FWD. The car has comfortable seats, and the gas and break pedal give you the ability to increase speed very quickly or gently slow down. This car is fun to drive! Purchased at for 8k at 87,000 miles. Get this car only if it has quality car-fax and has been given premium gas. The car requires high maintenance and don't expect to get away with anything less than synthetic oil! make sure waterpump and timing belt are done before 95,000 miles. City mileage is not the greatest ( I get around 18mpg, Highway around 23-25mpg)"

Everyone is envious, I love mine.

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable ride, super quiet too."

Cons: "City mileage is only between 20 and 25 mpg."

"From the heated leather seats in the winter to the custom, super quiet ride I love my car. All my friends want one and two even bought one. A great used value."

Wonderful!

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "Set the cruise control and GO!"

Cons: "Tight spots to change lights"

"I bought my 2002 VW Passat after a terrible series of sour lemons. I've been very pleased with the car especially since I did buy it used not knowing what I was getting myself into. The big drawback in this endeavor is the fact that I am college student so yes, there is a definite "scarcity" in money! Getting repairs and maintenance has been a pain but well worth it. So, yes I didn't realize that VW was in the league of Mercedes, BMW, etc. therefore parts and service would be more than other cars out there... Yet, I am very pleased with my VW. Plus, I couldn't believe it when people told me they were envious of my Passat but hey, it does look pretty nice. Do yourself a favor, if you don't like Hondas; check out the VWs."