2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 800 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Great in Rain, snow,and ice.Lackluster gas mileage

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"My 2002 VW Passat GLX 4Motion w/ Tiptronic has been a delightful car to drive. This car handles well on snow and ice with help from Tiptronic and is easily controlled. Its low center of gravity and AWD make it quick in and out of turns and the handling is agile. The halogen daytime running lights are brighter than the actual headlights; however, neither reach very long distances; fog lamps do make a difference in the rain. The ride is exceptionally comfortable from the driver's seat w/ great steering and road feel, supportive and vastly adjustable leather seats, and faint road noise. Automatic rain-sensing wipers can be adjusted, and work well in drizzles or downpours. At night, controls and gauges light up in red and blue; they look great and can easily be read. There is plenty of room in the front and rear seats, and the trunk is spectacularly spacious. This car feels solid and well built; however, fuel economy of 18 city-24 highway from a less than 200hp V-6 is nothing remarkable. In snow with longer commutes, slower driving, AWD constantly adjusting to road conditions, and stop and go traffic, the fuel economy is understandably lower, but 12-15MPG w/ 93 octane fuel is costly. The exterior still looks great almost 7 years later. The interior is well made, luxurious, and carefully crafted. The overall quality of this genuinely German sedan is outstanding, even if occasionally pricey repairs are necessary."

Think Twice!

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Size, Good Back Seat, Easy to drive and park"

Cons: "Horrible quality"

"We bought this car from our local garage, thinking that since they bought it, it must be good. We were soon proven wrong when the heat and A/C stopped working, the passenger seat motor broke. We had the skid plate just fall off on a road trip to Canada. Needless to say we just cut it off with a hunting knife. (Quality) HA! It also refuses to start, and just the other day had the starter go in it. We are used to driving Fords, and starters being an hour fix and not too expensive. $600 later we listed the car on craigslist. We bought this used 2 years ago, put less than 30,000 miles on it and the value has nearly depreciated 50%!!! IN 2 YEARS!!! I understand that some may be perfect cars, but people please do the research and see what is most likely to fall apart"

Stilll rock solid at 187k

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Overall drivability, comfort, "grin" factor, room"

Cons: "Relative repair costs"

"Purchased as a certified vehicle with 18k miles, it has been my best experience with a car. I had 3 Accords prior and was compelled to sell each by 160k (I no longer felt safe and comfortable on the highway). My Passat still feels more solid and steady than the many cars I rent (though a recent rental of a Volvo C30 was quite nice) and I would drive it cross-country today without hesitation. It can be expensive to repair, but still a fraction of the cost of new vehicle depreciation. I have had less to repair than my Accords."

great, until 70K

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "great fit finish, stylish ride."

Cons: "things break down like dominos when at upper miles"

"Car was great and problem free until about 70K. Then unrelated problems kept coming and coming: no heat, leaking coolant, thurmastat, leaking gasket, rear defrost, regulator in door (works window), etc. Made all repairs at dealership, but new problems persisted. I thought it would run until 110K . Now spending too much time and money repairing and just want to get rid of it. When it worked, it was great. Loved it. Only complaint was it was a little underpowered. Great ride, sharp looking and very convenient. Even with problems mentioned above, car never failed to get me where I needed to go and never overheated."

Absolute dream!

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, great price, great engine"

Cons: "requires attention"

"Love this car. I have driven it for over 103K since bought. Timing belt is the most intensive job. Done around 80K can run about $800 if not DIY. Since I am a DIYer and a car nut, I have no problem with the extra attention this car and most German cars need. You need to know what does what and look out for potential issues. This is not a honda or a Toyota appliance. It is meant to be driven. Also, it requires regular maintenance and does not take kindly to neglect. I love the way it handles, though not on stock 15" tires. Power delivery on the 1.8T and V6 is smooth and adequate, stock. I still regularly hit up to 30-32 mpg on the highway, loaded. I only scored it low on recommendation because it is not for everybody with regards to maintenance. Other than that, I could not be happier with it. It is the longest I have ever kept a car."