2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 808 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

ehh

By on Friday, September 17, 2010

"I bought my 04 Passat GLX used (2 previous owners) with 73,000 miles. Thought it was a good deal but had major issues within first 2 years. (1) Both CV Joints replaced (2) Cam Seals - twice due to dealer error (3) Water pump (4) Belts replaced (5) Fuel Pump replaced at 103,000 (6) Purge valve replacement recently. The list could keep going. The water pump and belts were precautionary when the cam seals went. That repair alone cost me $1600. If it wasn't for that repair I would have gave this vehicle better ratings. Just had bad luck with Volkswagon this time. Wouldn't recommend my vehicle to someone else but maybe a similar model."

Excellent

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"This car has had a bad rap with sludge issues but that is for the careless owner. I have had mine since new, 120,000 mi, 7 years, and the factory battery is still in it. Superb family car, still very tight after all this time and very safe. The ONLY complaint anyone might have is that the preventitive maintenance at 100k is very expensive, timing belt, water pump etc need to be done and it is VERY important, this takes over 7hrs and costs north of a grand. Small price to pay, this car owes me nothing!"

German junk money pit

By on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"2005 Passat TDI wagon. Well, I've owned four TDIs now, going back to the 96 Passat wagon. I've always been a big fan. That is over--VW now produces a full line of poorly engineered headache vehicles that you just can't justify buying anymore. This is my SECOND 2005 Passat TDI wagon. The FIRST one dropped an injector that destroyed the entire engine at 300 MILES!! They gave me a whole new car at that point. It has been serviced religiously at a good VW dealership. The recalls and repairs have been horrific, and will continue indefinitely. Now, at 50,300 miles of gentle driving, the transmission control module and radio are shot ($2000+, out of warranty). The car leaks water into the passenger floor board, where "genius" German engineers placed the module in a pan--brilliant. The check engine light on these pieces of junk will likely burn out the bulb from the frequency that it is on. So, there you go. I LOVED TDIs until VW screwed it up with the new ones. Tell me TDI fans, how can you justify a diesel engine that will go for 300,000 miles when all the peripheral problems will double your original purchase price over the unhappy life of the car? DO NOT BUY A VW unless you want a stylish migraine headache that is in the pit half the time."

2002 Passat Wagon 1.8T

By on Friday, March 20, 2009

"Owned since new (7 years now)...no major problems, although several recalls. NEED to keep up with maintenance schedule and change Timing Belt/Water pump at 65-80K..do not wait until 105K (as manual indicates). Would never buy Used unless I had all documented maintenance records. Wife loves the way the car drives, also very sturdy/safe."

Never again

By on Thursday, March 05, 2009

"I own one of these things. never again will I own another. Continued to have problems with this car. It has cost me a small fortune to try and keep it running. Everytime that I have taken it to the shop for repair it has cost me over $700. I have put more money into repairing this car than I paid for it. I had always beleived that VW were good cars. Maybe the old one, But not this one . Please stay away from this car. I wish I would have."

Excellent Car

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"I bought my 2003 1.8L Passat new. I now have 94,000 miles on it. Never once has it broken down or not started. I always try to put the premium fuel in it (have you seen the gas prices?? :) and use the good synthetic oil from VW. Oil changes are $65, but good for 10,000 miles. It pays off. Stability: I've also driven it many super slippery winters in Michigan, and watched people slide off the highway. This car handles EXCELLENT on snow. Never once have I lost control or slid sideways on ice/snow. Quality: I rear ended a woman in a drive-thru, and as she pulled away she had a massive hole in her bumper - and my car had a thread sized paint chip. Complaints: The back seat is a bit snug. I have a large Britax car seat, which takes up any room for other passengers. My son constantly kicks at the center ash tray and power outlet. I'm tempted to tape is shut. Big distractor while driving. Overall: This is my 7th VDub. I'm hoping they design a hybrid .. I'd be all over that."

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"I have had this car for 3 years and its a great car. It was 1 year when we bought it and it still looks new. No major problem. The car as good milage and excellent comfort and lots of space for cargo and a big Dog."

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"This car has 8 cylinders and still gets about 23 MPGs. Has plenty of power and is deceptively fast. Great touring car. Very quiet interior, controls are well thought out and placed. Very easy to put 500 miles on in a day. I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.. but it is expensive to maintain and to operate. High octane gas required, oil changes will run about $100.00(takes 9.0 quarts of oil) and it has to synthetic oil."

First VW, Love Love Love it.

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Very fun to drive and still gets 30mpg!"

Cons: "Cupholders do kinda stink,"

"Bought my VW Passat Wagon (2003 model) with 1.8 engine and 5spd manual over a year ago. Car had 123,000 on it then, has over 150,000 now. Yes, it cost about a grand to do the timing belt/water pump/cam tensioner routine maintenance. I would have tackled that if I currently lived where I had a garage, but I don't, and it's -30 here in the winter. I put good tires on this wagon (Michelin Pilot Exaltos) and keep the oil changed in it. A few things (power mirror, cruise control, center caps for wheels, rear windshield wiper) have given me some trouble, but for a 10 year old car with over 120k miles on it, I'm not shocked or dissappointed. I either fixed or had repaired the few minor problems I've had with this car. Overall, my wife and I love the car, love the power, love the handling, and LOVE the fuel economy. We've seen 32mpg on interstate roadtrips, and have never seen less then 26mpg with lots of town driving. We will buy another Passat wagon as soon as we have the cash for an upgraded year."

German engineering

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "drives amazing, great gas for a turbo, speedy"

Cons: "typical vw quirks"

"bought it for a family car with 200,000 miles plan on putting another 200k on it maintenance can be fairly cheap. getting the car over 100k miles and having problems with it typical expect it vws are only built for the life of the car witch is typically 100k miles but they can go forever with proper care. for over 10 years old handles like a dream picks up and goes when needed. only major maintenance problem is oil change needs synthetic. you can "Americanize" it. can run it on the next gas down from premium with only horsepower loss."

Great car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. TONS of space in back of car"

"Very nice car. Excellent handling...feels like a sports car not a station wagon. Expense so far has been the frequent replacement of the breaks... I do city driving and/or short highway driving. I plan to drive it into the ground as I doubt I will do better with a new car."

perfect for every day driving.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "everything, fun to drive."

Cons: "premium fuel hurts a little"

"This is a great car. Ive owned it years from 100k to 165k and counting. I like "spirted" driving and then once you lay off the turbo it will get 33mpg highway all day."

Passat has German build quality.

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive diesel gives great fuel economy"

Cons: "Known mechanical weaknesses"

"Automatic transmission torque converter has know weakness and is expensive to repair. Affects ALL Passats. Oil pump is chain driven, later upgraded to gear driven, chain wears out also expensive to repair. Window regulators also known weakness, no VW recalls on any of these known issues. Fuel savings off-set by cost of repairs to above mentioned mechanical weaknesses."

First and last VW

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "looks nice, handles great when running..."

Cons: "constant problems"

"I haven't had this car more than 60 days at a time w/o some warranty defect since I bought it. I'd say it's a lemon, but it is always something new. Turbo went at 60K, ignition coils went twice (VW finally fessed up with a recall on that one), radio needed to be replaced (thank goodness I bought the extended warranty). MANY other problems early like swing arms, sensors and cv joints. Worst car I've ever owned."

Reliable, great mileage, fun to drive car

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Great Mileage"

Cons: "Prem.gas,expensive to repair"

"Only owner of this car. Gets great mileage, fun to drive. The fact that it takes Prem.gas seems to off set, with around 35 MPG for a nice size car.Spendy for repairs good thing it hasn't needed many."

Super TDI

By on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

"Bought the car new in 2004...now has 113K miles..the car is super reliable...it has only given me problems once...and that was in the cold of winter..sitting outside. Turned out the original battery needed replaced after 5 years...not too shabby. Over all I love the car...it rides nice, handles like a German car should and for a 4 banger oil burner can get up and move. The fuel consumption is superb...38+ for a 2.0L Diesel...don't see a Hybrid in my future anytime soon. My only regret: not waiting for one with electric seats...but guess we can't have it all!"

Reliable and almost green

By on Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I purchased this vehicle new in 2005 and currently have 130000 miles driven. In many ways the car is almost new. So much so that I recently had a friend ask me if I'd gotten a new car since the last time we met. I have experienced some fall off in gas millage lately which I suspect is due to engine wear. Even at that I still consistently get 35 mpg. My long term goal is to keep this car for another 130000 miles or more. The only negative I have about the car is its German engineering. Unfortunately no one other than a certified VW dealer will service this car. The TDI is a unique engine and frankly not something you want to have serviced by someone who is not intimately familiar with its ins and outs. This includes getting the oil changed. I made the mistake of having the oil changed by an oil change service only once and that was enough. Thus the oil changes are more expensive than what you would pay at your local jiffy lube. There are advantages to getting your oil changed at the dealer including there going over the vehicle looking for issues that may need to be addressed before you find yourself on the side of a highway calling for a tow. I can gladly say that at 130000 miles I have not had a breakdown and remain confident that the car can make the long trips I tend to make from time to time. Lastly, If you have a reputable VW dealer in your local area this is a great car. If your VW dealer is less than you would desire, than I would encourage you to steer clear of this or any VW product for that matter."

Awesome car

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Most reliable, comfortable, and SAFEST car I've ever been in. Currently looking for another one for my wife to drive."

Best Fuel Performing Ever

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"This vechicle has provided a constant 30/40mpg;other performance, acceleration,braking,passing have been beyond what one might expect;expense keep certified and performing have been a little above average"

excellent value

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Bought used from dealership, first VW and won't be my last. Excellent all around - reliability, comfort, and options. A little disappointed with fuel consumption considering its a 4 cylinder, but I still get average 25 mpg so I won't complain too much! I do drive it hard a lot and the tiptronic gearbox is good fun. In summary, a spacious reliable workhorse which I would recommend to anyone."

Only downside is city mpg

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"My wife has absolutely loved this car! I'm a dealer and this is the first vehicle in a long time that my wife won't let go of. The quality is great and nearing 100k it still looks and performs like new. Only downside is the 18ish city mpg, which is a little on the low side for a wagon, also uses premium fuel. But this is one nice vehicle that has all the options of a luxury car with the extra storage families need."

LOVE IT!

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"I love this car. my '03 is the second Passat I've had (had a jeep in between but only kept it 10 months before going back to the Passat!). The 1.8T manual is super fun to drive - feels like a sports car when you want it to...or a nice family sedan :) The handling of this car in snow & ice is fabulous (i don't have 4 motion) and is better than any 2 wheel drive car I've ever driven (with exception to the Jetta which was pretty equal!) and is even better than may 4WD vehicles! I guarantee my next car will be a VW, but I won't have to trade in for a while I've got 56K miles today and no signs of ANY mechanical issues that haven't been covered by warranty. The VW service department has been great (although I have most of my work done at the local shop & not at the dealer.) All around this is a very fun, stylish car to drive. The perception is that these are much more costly than they really are - so I get many turned heads. Also, with fuel prices skyrocketing I get an easy 27mpg city driving with my manual tranny - and about 35 highway! Love it. Buy it!"

Great family car

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"After trying a BMW wagon and selling my Jetta to fit my children's car seats, I find the Passat wagon to be ideal. There's tons of leg room in back for car seats, all of the seats are very comfortable, and there's still lots of cargo space. It never breaks down, and is so fun to drive. The turbo engine is fabulous in the high altitude, and it handles great in snow and ice (even the FWD) with the proper tires. Small complaints are that things like the rear ash tray, rear cigarette lighter and glove box handle are falling off (perhaps from being kicked by my kids), but all in all a great, quality car, that's well worth the money."

TDI fun machine

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"This is my wifes car and I only get to drive this on weekends. 30 mpg city 40 mpg hwy at 80 mph. This is the first german car I have ever owned but will buy another one when the new diesels come out in 2008."

worst vehicle ever

By on Saturday, January 26, 2008

"These are the problems I have had: I had to replace front cv joints. $600 The drivers side seat warmer burned my seat up. My sunroof quit working. My key would not work. My door handle broke off. The flex joint rusted off along with all the bolts that hold the joint on. $600 I wouldn't wish this car on my worst enemy. It is by far the worst car I have ever had. I always thought these were good cars but I was wrong. I have 2 friends with '07 Passat's and they are miserable in their cars also."