2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 778 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

It rides....for a long time!

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, though a little pricey w/premium gas"

Cons: "Wish she didn't require so many garage visits"

"Bought this Passat in late-2001, had water immersion problems early on, which dealer fixed. Other than that, and the occasional brakes/engine repair as part of routine maint., this car is still in my driveway, though I now have another VW, a Touareg, to bigger hauls. This stil is my everyday, drivearound car, and I won't sell it."

Great Car to drive

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "Great car to drive, lots of giddy-up"

Cons: "Hard on the wallet with gas and repairs, 12mpg"

"Body immaculate, color is gray, Interior in good shape no rips or tears, black leather. Newer tires, new front barkes last november, new rear brakes June 2013 and front left side drive axle same time. needs right side drive axle replaced soon. Battery replaced last year too. car handles great and has great acceleration, lots of power."

great car very reliable, and great to drive

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, drives great, neat."

Cons: "a little extra for gas, no audio plugin."

"great car very fun to drive, fuel costs a bit more but very worth it , despite the milage its one of the most reliable cars i have."

dont buy the 1.8L turbo!!

By on Friday, September 20, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, looks nice"

Cons: "expensive, unreliable"

"I own a 2003 1.8L turbo.. my dream car until it turned into a nightmare.. this model has a notorious oil pressure problem that u cannot fix yourself unless you feel like taking the subframe off. the sensors all go off for no reason and your dash lights up like a Christmas tree. oil for this car is crazy expensive along with anything that might need to be fixed... when I called vw I freaked and told them they should recall the oil pump and they laughed. don't buy unless you have lots of money to throw away"

rides very well, manual transmission

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "higher grade of gasoline"

"well maintained, few dents,"

great looks & power for a wagon, love AWD

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Handsome but with truck-like utility"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"Passat GLX 4Drive Wagon really moves with the 6 cyl. Very reliable. I feel safe in it. Features are excellent like extendable visors to block sun, removable trunk cover, lumbar support in seats. Feels like just the right size, more useful than a sedan but smaller than the gigantic SUV guzzlers."

First VW, Love Love Love it.

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Very fun to drive and still gets 30mpg!"

Cons: "Cupholders do kinda stink,"

"Bought my VW Passat Wagon (2003 model) with 1.8 engine and 5spd manual over a year ago. Car had 123,000 on it then, has over 150,000 now. Yes, it cost about a grand to do the timing belt/water pump/cam tensioner routine maintenance. I would have tackled that if I currently lived where I had a garage, but I don't, and it's -30 here in the winter. I put good tires on this wagon (Michelin Pilot Exaltos) and keep the oil changed in it. A few things (power mirror, cruise control, center caps for wheels, rear windshield wiper) have given me some trouble, but for a 10 year old car with over 120k miles on it, I'm not shocked or dissappointed. I either fixed or had repaired the few minor problems I've had with this car. Overall, my wife and I love the car, love the power, love the handling, and LOVE the fuel economy. We've seen 32mpg on interstate roadtrips, and have never seen less then 26mpg with lots of town driving. We will buy another Passat wagon as soon as we have the cash for an upgraded year."

Read before buying this car

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, user friendly interior"

Cons: "High maintenance vehicles, expensive to run"

"When I bought this car, I hadn't owned a VW for years - and thought of the "old VW ease of maintenance and reliability." NOT. These cars are very "technical and engineered" - and unless you have a second car and can afford even minor repairs (replacing headlights)to be done by a mechanic, don't even think of buying one of these cars. It is comfortable, drives nice, but is HIGH MAINTENACNE! Fluids, as well as parts, are expensive. I would stay away from these cars - I am fixing my up, getting it detailed, and selling it asap! VW should "re-think" all this technology and try to "go back" to what they were, when they were fun and easy cars to own."

Safe, stable and reliable.

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

"When sitting in the car, you can feel the thickness of door and body which is extremely different feeling when you sit in a Japanese car. This Germany car is very stable when driving at highway. I don't feel any trembling when I step on the pedal and drive to 80 miles/h. I can even put off my hands from the steeling wheel and the car is still going in a straight line. However, if you drive a Toyota Corolla, how dare you put your hands off at 80miles/h It is reliable since it never disappointed me when talking about money. Except regular maintenance I seldom paid for repair. And MPG is high enough to compete with a Honda Accord."

Best of comfort and reliability

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, comfortable, reliable, practical"

"I've had my Passat for eight years and it has never needed any work outside of routine maintenance. Volkswagens are extremely reliable and comfortable. Were it not for a few cosmetic issues that have popped up over the years in addition to my dog eating three out of five seatbelts in the car, I would be driving it into the ground. The car has always been fun to drive and easy to maintain."

Great gas mileage; Great little ride

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive"

Cons: "Haven't found any yet"

"Impressive handling front wheel drive; comfortable seats and higher than average gas mileage."

Dissapointing; chronic electrical issues

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

"Head lights, tail lights, brake lights, and blinkers all replaced numerous times. Added extra oil every 3 months. Leaked ANTIFREEZE ONTO THE PASSAGER FLOOR FOR YEARS. $1200 TO REPAIR. Passenger side mirror just fell off without being struck or damaged. I would encourage potential buyers to never consider purchasing a VW."

Best luxury and comfort in 1.8t!

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "great car for anything, great handling"

"This type vehicle is best that came in 1.8t cyl engine, all other engines, just change your timing belt on time and use syntetic oil ,it will serve you loon..long time!! _ v6 or w8 are junk,and kbb book value is way low for this type of vehicle, compare to golf , jetta, this is way better luxury and comfort,way more space , as i had many vw passat's, all where 1.8t."

Too many repairs, stay away!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

"Bought my TDI used from VW dealer, extended warranty didn't cover any of the items that needed repair soon after purchasing. Third transmission failure just happened, mechanic says these cars are know for this problem. Way too much money to maintain this car!"

German engineering

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "drives amazing, great gas for a turbo, speedy"

Cons: "typical vw quirks"

"bought it for a family car with 200,000 miles plan on putting another 200k on it maintenance can be fairly cheap. getting the car over 100k miles and having problems with it typical expect it vws are only built for the life of the car witch is typically 100k miles but they can go forever with proper care. for over 10 years old handles like a dream picks up and goes when needed. only major maintenance problem is oil change needs synthetic. you can "Americanize" it. can run it on the next gas down from premium with only horsepower loss."

best small car ever

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "fun, price, gas"

Cons: "headlights become hazed but i just replaced mine."

"Gas saving, dynamic, and fun to drive."

If you splurge on "new" and take care of it, FAB!

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "stylish, and still beautiful. Still looks new."

Cons: "can't think of one!"

"Rarely buy new cars ( we buy many used) but splurged on this one. Up and down the mountains in blizzards as well as summer heat, cross country down south in the extreme heat, and more cross country for trips. NEVER any problems. We always do regular maint. at re.p places. Can't beat German engineering. Smooth ride, quiet, solid feel. The abs has literally saved my life in winter conditions. Comfy interior, loads of cargo avail. and ooooh the heated seats in the winter! Extremely nice car if you are lucky to have one!"

Good car if you like to do maintenance

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Good gas MPG, Good interior, Nice seats & Ride"

Cons: "Needs lots of maintenance."

"As all VW's it needs lots of TLC. Other than that, it is good"

Great Car If taken care of and treated as required

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Luxury for a low price, Sporty drive."

Cons: "City Mileage burns the wallet"

"The Car is great to drive around in. I have the 4 cylinder 1.8L Turbo, FWD. The car has comfortable seats, and the gas and break pedal give you the ability to increase speed very quickly or gently slow down. This car is fun to drive! Purchased at for 8k at 87,000 miles. Get this car only if it has quality car-fax and has been given premium gas. The car requires high maintenance and don't expect to get away with anything less than synthetic oil! make sure waterpump and timing belt are done before 95,000 miles. City mileage is not the greatest ( I get around 18mpg, Highway around 23-25mpg)"

Stay away from the 1.8T Models

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, speed"

Cons: "Expansive oil changes and routine maintenance."

"The 1.8T was redesigned to fit in the B5 Passats which causes the oil not to flow correctly causing sluge. You MUST use the VW approved oil or you end up with a dead engine sitting on the side of the road. ALSO the timing belt MUST be change or it will fail without notice causing a total engine failure leaving you on the side of the road. Other than that, great mileage, fun to drive, and VW drivers always get speeding tickets. Its built for speed and comfort and you will notice that when you passing a State Trooper at 90 MPH!!!"

run, don't walk, far away from this car!

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "good pick-up, feels safe-when running"

Cons: "$$$$ it's always something"

"I purchased this car used with 17,000 miles on it. I thought it was the car I always wanted. This car is a taker. I have done all the required maintenance plus more, ALOT more. With only 76,000 miles on this hunk of junk, I cannot believe anything except this car is a lemon. I had the oil sludge problem-typical for this model, constant faulty sensors-too numerous to mention, exhaust, axle, parking lights got stuck on....even the antennae fell off. I only drive 2 miles to work, I have not abused it. It has been far more abusive to my wallet. The huge repair bills have prevented me from getting a new car sooner. I refuse to drop one more cent into this car. Good-bye Passat forever."

I love it!

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "6-Disc CD player doesn't always work"

"It's German, so very different from Japanese and American that I've driven in the past, but it's a beautiful car with a smooth ride and good power when I need it."

My first commuter car

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, heated seats are best"

Cons: "1.8 T I-4 cyl. is bit underpowered."

"Bought a 2002 GLS Wagon at 52K miles. So far I have driven 3K miles and had no major repairs. Driving and handling is superb, however I feel the base model 1.8 liter - 4 cylinder- Turbocharged engine is bit underpowered at 170 HP, especially if you live in hilly areas carrying 3 or more adults plus luggage. This wagon is certainly not a performance car by any means. If given an option, opt for V6 or W8 engines. Also, it jerks quite hard when you shift gear after startup, not while driving though. Gives about 18/24 mpg. Monsoon stereo is very good. Other than that, it has a lot of space, 4 basic electrical outlets, tons of safety features, AC works fine but takes a toll on mpg. A good basic people hauler."

A Superbly Satisfying Driving Experience!

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Ride, handling, engine excellence, interior"

Cons: "Repairs are unanticipated and Costly!"

"Were it not for the fact that the car drives and performs as great at 140K miles as it did at 140 miles I would have dumped it after the transmission needed repair at 85K miles. When the car needed a $6.7K valve job at 120K miles, I considered junking it, only it still drove as well (and had more features) than the 2013 Passat TDI I considered buying. Being a retired Seasoned Citizen, I agonized over the cost of new cars with the features and comfort that this aging beauty still provides - so the annoying price of repair is overshadowed by my pleasure each day I drive it. The car is a dream to drive on long trips, where it regularly gets 26 MPG on 3,000 mile vacation trips; and I get 22.5 MPG in the Winters; and 23.5 MPG in the summers around Kalamazoo. As close as I can tell, the new Passats are NOT as well appointed and built as this 2003 model, and I could not justify purchasing subsequent Passat models. My current choice for its replacement is a 2013 Camry Hybrid - just for the mileage and anticipated better reliability."

Dont waste your time

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "to costly, waste of money"

"I've had this car for around 2 years. So far I've had to replace tons of things like my Axle, my brakes and pieces under the hood. the interior fabric on the doors is pealing off and loose. The positives are the gas milage and the trunk room."

See if you qualify for