2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 793 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Money pit

By on Friday, December 12, 2014

Pros: "interior space"

Cons: "expensive maintenance, chronic issues"

"I simply wish I had never bought this car. I end up spending more money to fix it than I paid for it. Stay away .."

Low boy with a long quality ride

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

Pros: "quality-safe heavy car-"

Cons: "plastic hook for sunvisor-cover for GDO"

"I am selling my VW because of my advancing age.(80). It is low and difficult for a senior's in and out. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Diesel fast with comfortable leather seats and ample cargo space. A safe heavy car with 32/46 real diesel.(biofuel lowers these figures bet 2-5 mpg)"

Best Car for the Price

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "fun, great for road trips, worth every penny"

Cons: "The VW stealership."

"Fun and offers great gas mileage. This particular car seems to have soul and responds well to the driver. Very good looking car timeless design that still looks new."

Solidly built, smooth on the road

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Built like a tank, good ride, handling, accelerati"

Cons: "Some interior materials fail early"

"Solid German engineering sums up this car. It has a quite comfortable secure feeling ride and good handling. The brakes are excellent. The turbo 4 gas engine has some small amount of turbo lag but gives good mileage and acceleration when needed. One downside is some engine vibration in gear when at a stop. Otherwise the engine is very smooth out on the road. A caution though is to use fully synthetic engine oil as recommended by VW and change the oil at the intervals they say to. If you don't you may end up with engine sludge and having to replace the engine. I have always used the correct oil and change interval and have had no engine problems. As a note here to tuners I replaced the standard struts and shocks with Koni sport models and the front anti-sway bar with a HD one from H&R. Those small changes made this an even better car. It feels like it is nailed to the road."

Love my 02 GLX!

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Up to date looks. Reliable. Built well."

Cons: "Expensive repairs."

My old blue one. My baby (black). Boyfriend's GTI. We love VW!!!

"I absolutely love my car. This is actually my second one. Loved the first one so much (besides the fact the person I bought it from withheld a lot of information) I decided I wanted the same one. My car is my baby. If you stay on top of your routine maintenance like your supposed you, you will never have a problem. It is more pricey compared to other vehicles and you can hardly buy your products from your local car shop. The key is plan ahead and buy online (super cheap). I have learned to do all my own mechanical work, really not that hard and youtube is great! You have to stay on top of your oil changes and check regularly, when the leaks come they are hard to get rid of. The interior is great and designed clean. I love the cup holders and the heated seats. To this day I am still finding new things about this car! Engine is built solid. It is temperamental with its fuses, so always have them handy. Overall take care of it and it will take care of you. This thing will last forever. BTW the first one I owned had over 200k miles on it.."

My old blue one. My baby (black). Boyfriend's GTI. We love VW!!!