2002 Volkswagen Passat

7.5

Based on 783 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

7.5/10

Awesome vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "safe, awesome car, very efficient,"

Cons: "No aux in"

"I have had this car for a little over two years now. Bought it with about 82,000 miles in it and it now has about 104,000. I drove it across the country last year when I moved from the Midwest to Florida. I have traveled quite a bit with it to Ohio, Georgia, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa, and Alabama. It is very reliable and dependable. I absolutely love it. When driving in the highway, I feel very safe in it, because of how stable it feels on the pavement. Gas is amazing. It goes on forever on one tank. I took a 20 hour trip and I probable spent about 150 or less on gas. The downside of owning a VW is that parts are expensive and you need a specific person to fix it for you. The safety is a plus, it's a very heavy vehicle, so you'll be very safe inside the cabin. When it comes the time to change cars, I'm sticking with VW."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, nice comfort touches"

Cons: "Parts, when you do need them, can be expensive"

"Drives wonderfully, high-quality, comfortable, and reliable car. Great pick-up and looks beautiful too. I have had it for 6 years and no major problems. In fact, I'm selling this one and going to get the exact same new car!"

Lemon

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Great gas milage, roomie, fun to drive"

Cons: "engine problems, not reliable, expensive to fix"

"I got this car when it was 6 years old. I loved the look of it and thought VW made decent cars. Less than a year into driving it, I had an oil sludge problem which lead to a number of other engine problems. I bought this car for 8,000 and all together I say I had to put 9,000 into the engine/radiator. All in all I could have ended up buying a brand new car for 17,000. I'm now finally selling it (more like getting rid of it) because I have electrical problems which will cost much more to fix than the car is worth. She had a good run, but lots of problems along the way. It's kinda sad to see her go but I know it's time."

WARNING: DO NOT BUY

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Cons: "Not reliable whatsoever, very pricey for repairs"

"I'm a college kid and bought my 2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX for a great price (should have been a warning sign from the start). Please let this review be the one to curb people from purchasing one of their own; DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. It is an absolute money pit. One thing after another--car mounts bad, camshaft solenoid bad, etc. Many many trips to the mechanic on top of all of the normal car care work (new tires, oil every 3,000 miles, premium gasoline). Consumer reports got it right when it rated Volkswagen one of the least reliable makers in the business. Please do not buy this car."

Love this car. The best of the sm class

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Handling and performance is very good"

Cons: "gas mileage could be better"

"I would recommend and buy again. The unrealibility issues are over blown as far as I can tell. German cars cost more and they cost more to fix. They are not more prone to brake-downs. Over ten years old now, my real complaint is that they aren't made anymore."