2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 497 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

A Lot For The Money Unitl Repair Time

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"I purchased my 1999 VW Passat GLX V6 new in July 1999. Currently I have 51,900 miles on it. Overall I think it is a very good automobile. The only draw back is the cost of maintenance and repair. Brakes are VERY expensive to repair. It takes coolant only available at a VW dealer. I do get excellent gas mileage - 34 to 36 on the highway, 22mpg city but I am a very conservative driver. If it were not for the high cost of maintenance/repair I would purchase VW again but am leaning toward Toyota or even (gasp) Buick."

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Stay Away...

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reason: too many problems

"Just sold my VW Passat GLX which I owned from the gitgo. Probably could have bought two Lexus-es with the amount of money I put into my Passat. Not reliable. Tho...I will admit it handles beautifully and is fun to drive. But...you will pay for one little problem after another. Always worried if it will make it to the destination. I'm "one and done" with VW. Sorry. Not going back!!!"

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

Nice Handling, Confortable Ride Poor Reliability

By on Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Pros: "Nice to drive"

Cons: "High maintenance, unreliable, terrible dealers"

"Good German engineering, but poor reliability. You will love the car but hate the cost and inconvenience of maintenance. Do NOT buy a VW if you want a reliable car."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."