2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 484 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

not bad. but not the best.

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "smooth and fast"

Cons: "expensive and uncomfortable"

"expensive to fix. Seats are uncomfortable. I have had it for 2 years now and i am still happy with it. it does not hold its value well at all for how much maintinece costs."

I love it

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Germanluxury at an affortable price"

Cons: "expensive to fix sometimes"

"very good reliable"

Great car!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Good gas mileage, very roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "The cup holders are the worst"

"This is the best car I have owned. Good gas mileage, good power for a 4 cyl. Drives and runs well. Very roomy, comfortable interior and I'm 6'3. Factory Monsoon stereo sounds great. More console storage would be nice and better, bigger cup holders. My only regret is that I waited so long to buy one and I should have gotten the 4motion."

Sporty and economical, drives like a gocart

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "Check engine lights"

"I have owned this car since day one. 165,000 miles now 12 years later, original clutch! For some reason parts have come way down in price, so a good used vehicle to own. The check engine lights are always on on these cars, you need to service the emissions tubing and system regularly. If you do not, it may cause oil leaks on the engine which, on the V6 engines can be near impossible to fix without major dissasembly of the entire engine! This car has a ton of pep even at 165k, good on gas with the 4 cyl turbo. Easy clutch to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

i love my car

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Even after 12 years and 179,000 miles, I love driving this car. It handles so well. It still looks stylish."

best vehicle!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, nice looking"

"I LOVE my passat! I have a 99 VW passat sedan, v6, automatic! It has a 150,000 miles on it and still runs strong. Great in the snow, and fun to drive all year! All around great car! The only thing I dislike is I only get about 21 mpg with it:/"

good car

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"love the car but repairs do tend to be twice the cost of a domestic car. but the parts installed also last twice as long. quality is great but its not holding value like i would expect. i have never gotten stuck in the snow and the car has great stability in all weather conditions."

Sweet car

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

"This car is a tremendous value. reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient, and sporty. I live at 6000 ft in Western Colorado and routinely drive two 10,000 ft passes to Denver in deep winter on snow covered roads with no problem. It's a great all around vehicle."

nice design; pain to maintain

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Reason: maintenance costs

Pros: "great styling (for 2000), average luxury"

Cons: "average luxury, premium gas, high maintenance"

"when it came out, i loved the styling of the car. the first 3-4 years of upkeep were fine, but once the vehicle hit about 75k miles, maintenance costs quickly became a problem. after $3k in catalytic converters, and $2k in sensors, i gave up and traded it in for a non-VW car. this car also requires premium gas. if you want an older vw, get a jetta. same engine but less weight = faster and more efficient."

Now my favorite VW

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

look for the 4Motion

"I love this car. I have had it for 3 years now with no problems. Rain, shine, snow, ice, dirt and mud. Road trips, ski trips, mountain adventures and highway fun this car has gotten me everywhere. Even though the base model is still worlds above its competition i recomend the top of the line GLS GLX and if your lucky and patient enough the 4Motion AWD is the only way to go.Heated mirrors, heated seats, seat memory, after a year i was still finding new options on it. More solid than your average VW. Audi engineering for VW prices :Hint find a VW shop for repairs"

look for the 4Motion

great car to own

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"I am 22, and from the view point of a 22 year old college stdent; this car is quite great. I have the 2.8 6v passat. I like the over all feel of the car and it has good power, at least enough to eat up the hondas and acuras out there. It handles nicely except for a little more than comfotable body roll at 60 or so... my only problem with the car, and if you are trying to get one to tune it at all, is you cant. All after market parts are extremely expensive and unless your willing to dump 5 grand into it, the is not for racing of really any kind. But, as a city and just a nice ride car, it is awesome. And, really my only complaint would be the gas mileage. but i give it "*****" =)"

I love this car despite it's flaws

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"I agree with the other reviews. I also have the V6 with all-wheel drive and I always feel very safe in it, especially in the winter. It goes up hilly, snow covered roads no problem. I've had problems with the breaks. I also had to disconnect a fan under the hood that kept running and killing my battery. Repairs are always expensive and cannot be done yourself. Despite this, the car is very reliable and safe and I love it."

Great car-reliable, but wd like better gas mileage

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"I have the V6, all wheel drive modes. This car feels very safe to drive. it is heavy and really hugs the road in all conditions. But, only gets ~26 mpg on the highway"

I've had better

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "good looking car"

Cons: "cost too much to own"

"Over 12 years that I've had this car I've spent $19,937.77 on repaires. I can't afford a new car but I still like the car but I think I will buy something different next time."

very reliable - hardley ever any problems

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

"the car is / has been great!"

Great vehicle!!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "reliability, great gas mileage"

Cons: "I which mine had a moonroof!"

"I've had this vehicle since it had 30k miles with no problems. Great vehicle with lots of room. Great gas mileage too."

My favorite...and least favorite car

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Reason: Divorce settlement

Pros: "A BLAST to drive!"

Cons: "Expensive repairs and a lot of them"

"This is the most fun car I have ever driven. It handles amazingly and is so much fun to drive. I hated to have to get rid of it. I had somewhat of a love-hate relationship with this car. Here's why: Pros: fast, great handling, a blast to drive, loads of features, side airbags, heated leather seats, sun roof. This car felt like a tank. I felt very safe driving it. Now the cons: everything this car did not need to run, went out on it. Everything suspension related (it's heavy) went out at least twice, engine mounts are cheap and break easily, power steering system sprung a leak and had to be topped off every 3 or so months, abs control module went out, catalytic converters (both) failed...among other things. Long story short, it's too heavy of a car to use cheap plastic parts...they're going to break when this much weight is put on them. And to top it off, its very expensive to work on. Altogether my repair bills were over $3000 and another $4000 of work was still needed. I now work at a VW repair shop and this is common...I hear this stuff every day. Bottom line, I absolutely loved that car and in spite of everything that went wrong, it was reliable. Like I said, everything that car did not absolutely need to run went out."

I love it

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Cons: "awkward cupholders"

"This is my third vehicle and I wish it was my first. Repairs can be pricey but I haven't had an issue. I Love my manual V6."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Extremely reliable. Still runs perfectly."

Cons: "Can't really think of any. Loved the car!"

"I have had this car for 11 years and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. I have not had a single engine issue beyond regular wear and tear. All I have done is put synthetic oil and premium gas in this car and I have been without a car payment for seven years because it has been so reliable! Granted, I have garaged the car for the entire time I have owned it and the mileage is low due to a limited commute. There are now some minor electrical issues with the car which Volkswagen is notorious for but, overall, the car has been great. I can only hope that my new Volkswagen will serve me as well!"

great family car!

By on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

"Our family has had a Passat for eight years, and it has been a great car. Except for one incident that was our fault, it has required only regular maintenance. The wagon makes a great family car, and leather seats mean the inside has remained in excellent condition. This is a luxurious car! We miss the V6 when we take the minivan..."

best icy/snow road car ever

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "safe winter road car"

Cons: "Potentially expensive maintenance ahead."

"The all wheel drive and low center of gravity make the car drive phenomenally. It was very expensive new for a VW (about $35k) with extended warranty and it is a high tech/potentially high maintenance vehicle. I have 82,500 miles and have fully maintained the car. It has had the ABS brake module replaced (big $) and both header pipes also had to be replaced. Car has been kept salt free but I know examples of other similar VW's with multiple window failures where salt has been left on car for extended periods."

Comfortable/smooth ride

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Reason: Expensive/Time-consuming Maintenance

Pros: "Comfortable ride, Good MPG, does well in Ice/Snow"

Cons: "Devours oil, repairs are expensive/time consuming"

"I bought this car in 2007, my second vehicle ever, and it had about 70k on it. I lived in an area where snow/ice and high winds were an everyday occurance and this car held it's own like a champ. Smooth comfortable ride, heated leather interior, Heat/AC always worked, 0 mechanical/engine problems. Car would always start up, even if it was -30 Fahrenheit outside. My maintenance (oil, tires, pressure, fluids, etc.) were always up to date. Bad news is, once I hit the 100k mark, the car simply started falling apart everywhere. My Turbo began burning 2 quarts of oil a week, started having misfires at startup, OEM shocks/struts literally started to decay/rust and fall off, all kinds of sensors began failing, and a bunch of other annoying things here and there that can be attributed to the age of the car. I've spent many free weekends hunting down spare parts and fixing the Passat myself, only to drive 5k-10k miles and have another mysterious age-related problem creep up. I finally bit the bullet and sold it when I hit 150k. After spending almost $1500 on parts alone and many lonely weeends tinkering with this car(which is no joke to repair), the time spent repairing the vehicle vs. the few weeks I got to drive it before it broke again for something unrelated to what I had just repaired wasn't worth the hassle anymore. All in all, car was fun at first, most comfy ride I've ever driven, but after the 100k mark, you're entering a world of hurt ;)."

Love this car!!!

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Handles Turns"

"Love this car!!! Handling excellent esp on curves/turns. Power or Pick-up is also great. Never had any major problems but, then again...I am very good in the maintenance"

great

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

"dependable"

Worst vehicle I've ever purchased

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable ride"

Cons: "Everything except the comfortable ride"

"I have had nothing but costly problems with this car. It stays in the shop. The repairs are never minor. The inside of the car is just falling apart. The window motors in 3 windows have broken. The car rides great but is the worst car that I have ever purchased in my life. I will never ever ever ever purchase another vw in my life. If someone was to give me a vw for free I would sell it."