2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 485 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

1999 Passat wagon, owned for many years

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "still looks sporty (in red!)"

Cons: "back bumper paint is fading"

"Not too big, not too small. Solid comfortable ride, good mileage, excellent sound insulation. Interior heats (or cools) well and quickly as needed. It's too bad that the Passat wagon is no longer available in the U.S. (as of 2011, I think) I plan to replace my 1999 with a younger Passat wagon before they all disappear."

VW Passat, best at: safety, reliability, comfort

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Safety, fuel efficiency, room, ride."

Cons: "Stereo can sometimes loose signal."

"Owned car for 120,00 of it's 190,000 miles. Very well built, still original exhaust, clutch, engine & transmission (5-spd). Car still gets 30 MPG, does not burn or leak oil. Still fast and smooth. Never had a car (American or foreign) that is better at everything it does that this car. It is very safe, with airbags up front, and sides, as well as torso bags in seats. Looks as it did when new, a testament to how well they are put together, and the quality of the materials inside. Couldn't be happier with its overall performance."

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

"This has been an amazing, reliable, comfortable car. so sad that a fender bender has totaled it due to high highway miles. I have kept it emmaculate and it hasn't been hard to do."

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

Top 5 List of Worst Cars Ever Made

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "Looks stylish, rides nice"

Cons: "Completely unreliable, expensive to fix"

"I work for a used car dealer who sells older model vehicles such as the early 2000's Passats. We have sold numerous Passats and have had major engine problems with nearly every single one. Oil problems, Turbo problems, electrical problems, you name it, we have had problems with it! I would NEVER buy one of these unless I planned on immediately junking it out."

what a pile of junk

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"junk. I've put way to much money into this car. time to sell it on to the next sucker."

great little truck

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "large cargo capacity. Ultra reliable. Comfortable"

Cons: "expensive to fix."

"I purchased the wagon model new in 1999. I've used it to haul everything you can imagine. I do a lot of home renovation on two rental properties. I have to say that this car stood up to a lot of abuse. Now at almost 13 years old it is suffering old age. Besides things that you expect to wear out it has been a steady stream of little items for the last year or two. I now have a transmission issue which will more than likely cause the Passat's retirement. It was a great ride while it lasted. Always reliable."

Love the car

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "Very fun to drive, comfortable."

Cons: "Expensive to fix."

"It is a great car. Very reliable, fun to drive, very comfortable and luxurious on the inside. Expensive to fix though, if you keep up the maintenance it's not so bad. I love it and would love to trade it for the 2012."

5spd turbo SMOKES at 28 mpg

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage and FAST."

Cons: "VW repair and service is EXPENSIVE."

"Good road feel, really takes off. Any VW service/repair is expensive. Would buy it again. Still looks good after 12 years. Paints good, interiors good, no rust."

wouldn't buy VW again

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, roomy, nice to drive"

Cons: "has had several unexpected repairs"

"It is a good looking car, but has had problems. Eg. ABS sensor, oil leaks from seals, check engine light comes on regularly. I am pleasantly surprised that it has made it to 155k. I bought it new and have done all of the recommended maintenance. On the plus side it gets good gas mileage (~27MPG consistently) and is very roomy for it size."

Best car I've owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Fast, sporty, great handling, comfortable"

Cons: "expensive to repair,"

"I'm 23 and since I was 16 I've owned 7 cars and 2 of them were Passats First I owned a 2003 which got repoed when I lost my job and I just bought another one(2001). Everything about this car is fantastic. It's fast sporty and can beat the pants off of any rice burner. It's very dependable and tells you what's wrong with it when something is wrong. Both have had sunroofs which are like freedom on a warm summer day. SPACE this car has a lot of it, plenty of leg room for 5 or 8 if you stuff 3 in the trunk, which it has room for. The sound system is very good and comes with an amp in the trunk stock. The seats are a real winner I drove my 2003 100 miles a day back and forth to school in Atlanta traffic, they have a lever to adjust the height a knob on the back for angle and one above it for FIRMNESS :). I prefer manual seat adjusters because you DON'T want the motor to go out on your electric seat positioner and your seat to be stuck where you don't want it. The night time color scheme is brilliant with blue odometers and red everything else it really accents the night and makes everything look really nice."

the best car ive owned

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "comfortable , fun to drive"

Cons: "needs cup holders"

"i just bought this car and im the type of person that goes through alot of vehicles cause of comfort want something new and i just bought a 99 passat and i love it. im a tall person and im so comfortable driving. then i can shift with out the clutch to get the power when i need it. it saves me on gas , runs great have had no problems"

Too many mechanical repairs

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

"I bought this car used and it wasn't long that I wish I hadn't. There is a defect in this model from mid 90's to 2000 or so with respect to oil leaks and sludge problems. I also found out after buying the car that you have to work HARD by turning a knob to adjust seat upright or to lean seat back. Also horn does NOT work when vehicle is parked and engine is off. I have yet to find out how passengers in the back seat can get out on their own without my having to unlock doors from my lock release on drivers side."

Fun to drive, not fun to maintain

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Poorly designed interior, completely unreliable"

"This car is fun to drive. Handles well, the transmission and engine are responsive. However there are a lot of issues with the workmanship and design of the car. Cupholders are atrocious. The plastic undercarriage is poorly designed and had to be replaced multiple times. The power window motors/switches have all been replaced. The LCD on the trip computer went out and had to be replaced. The stereo system had to be replaced. One of the speakers had to be replaced. The cooling system leaks, there is an oil leak, the transmission slips. Lots of problems with this car. I've never spent nearly this much maintaining a car. It's literally always going into the shop. Last VW I ever buy."

What a ride!

By on Monday, February 06, 2012

"Love it, but it leaks oil and the seal is over 1000."

Not a fan

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Not Many"

Cons: "Lots"

"I had a '98 Jetta and loved it! The 2000 Passat doesn't live up to it's older brother. I was hoping all Volkswagens were as amazing as my Jetta, but I was wrong. I will definitely be sticking to either the Jetta or other vehicles in the future."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

expensive shop bills

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "pricey shop bills to much plastic"

"prone to coil faults but easy to work any issue your self"

is very good car...

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "clean title the inside and outside are very good.."

Cons: "it did not work for my wife we got a automatic car"

"THE clutch is not working i was teaching my wife how to drive manual..."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"Have had this car for 13 years. Have changed the oil every 5000 miles, and replaced a fuel sensor for $1500. I've never seen a car that has had so few problems for so long. Good gas mileage. Averaging around 27mpg. fun to drive"

Have owned 8 cars in my life, its is the WORST!

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Reasonably comfortable"

Cons: "Terrible reliability"

"Burns oil. Leaks oil. Parts "fall off" on a regular basis (including headlight, turn signal, front fender"

my wife covets it, if it wasn't so old

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "value, great driving, almost as cavernous as SAAB"

Cons: "vaporizes oil"

"My first car was a VW Sun Bug 1974. just right for college sold 1978 to my dentist whose 2 kids each drove it though their college years. My second, third"

Disapointing reliability

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Interior space is best in class"

Cons: "Disapointing reliability"

"Over 130,000 plus miles of driving all across the US had multiple reliability issues that came out quite short of "mythical German engineering". Specifically - faillure of both transmission joints on front wheels, faillure of timming belt twice, leaking of hydraulic steering fluid at the pump (replaced), faillure of cruise controt system, faillure of air conditioning."

Comfortable, but has a couple of problems

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, handles well, lots of room for cargo"

Cons: "Tends to bottom on uneven roads, flooding problem"

"This car is good for tall folks. I am 6'2" and have trouble fitting comfortably behind the wheel of some cars. The seat height adjustment and tilt/telescoping wheel make it easy for just about any size driver to find a comfortable driving position. There is lots of room to haul stuff if you put the back seats down. The ride is comfortable and steering is tight, not wishy-washy like some other cars. The suspension is not great for rough terrain or pot holes and has a tendency to bottom out, especially when fully loaded. I bottomed out onto the protruding edge of a manhole cover and cracked my transmission. The main design flaw is the trough under the battery. It has a small drainage hole at the bottom and if it gets clogged with leaves or other debris, that trough will fill with water when it rains. When this happens it overflows into the passenger compartment and floods the two computer modules which are under your feet in the front seating area. Those two modules control just about everything in the car and are over $300 to replace. There was also a drainage issue around the sliding sun roof."

good solid car, maintenance costs are high

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks good, solid, good mileage"

Cons: "expensive to repair, uses oil"

"car currently has 108,000 miles I have had to do the CV boots (expensive), exhaust flex connections (I had stainless flex connections welded in rather than pay crazy dealer cost), timing belt (around $1150 with water pump and tensioners). Door locks have a problem, electrical connection fails due to door opening and closing - $650 if you have the work done at the dealer. Its a good solid car but expensive to keep on the road. The car also uses oil, approx .5 quarts every 4 - 6 weeks at 10,00 miles per year."