2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Stay Away...

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reason: too many problems

"Just sold my VW Passat GLX which I owned from the gitgo. Probably could have bought two Lexus-es with the amount of money I put into my Passat. Not reliable. Tho...I will admit it handles beautifully and is fun to drive. But...you will pay for one little problem after another. Always worried if it will make it to the destination. I'm "one and done" with VW. Sorry. Not going back!!!"

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

I survived an accident...

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"I shouldnt be alive. I rolled twice in this car into the woods, smashed the entire front end in, all air bags deployed, windshield shattered, it was ugly. I walked away with a bruise on my shoulder from the seat belt saving my life. I will never drive anything else besides a Volkswagen."