2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Tight, taught, responsive, comfortable, & likeable

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Not big in size but big in value."

Cons: "Low seating poses problems for arthritic persons."

My daughter's car and its first half-life.

"A very nice car when new, several maintenance problems and some of substantial cost, but entirely acceptable considering the miles of comfortable and sprightly transportation. The body style seems dated because so many other brands co-opted the shape and used it now, 15 years later. The gadgets all work like new, the car drives like new, and because of its economy I have set aside three times its cost for its replacement twice (the first plundered by one of my kids). At 15+ years old it is still a very nice car."

My daughter's car and its first half-life.

After having owned a Nissan, big disappointment

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Not bad looking ... At the beginning."

Cons: "Peeling paint, suspension system, interior headlin"

"Within the first 50,000 miles something went wrong with the suspension system in the front. I was told that it was a design flaw. They fixed it and, as predicted, it lasted about 60,000 more miles. The exterior paint is peeling and the interior headliner is falling off in multiple places. VW uses a special oil drain plug, so watch out for going to quick lube places. Worst car I have ever owned."

Good for about 140k

By on Sunday, April 12, 2015

Pros: "stylish, zippy, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "prone to extremely expensive unfixable problems"

"This was a great car until about 140k and then the wheels came off the bus. Replaced timing belt, water pump, radiator, hoses, egr thingy, injectors, plugs, filters, sensors (MAP, O2, a couple of others) and a lot more in the space of about a year and could not get the car to run right - phantom untraceable problem that caused it to start and die, start and die, start and die, etc. Until 140k it was a gem, fun to drive, a few problems but nothing serious (window motor broke, a/c died, automatic locks stopped working, that horrible electrical thing under the carpet had to be replaced - $800). For sale now, very cheap. Takers?"

A wonderful car, all situations

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Terrific to drive, great seats, durable."

Cons: "City traffic mileage is not great."

"I have owned this car for 15 years. Mileage is low, mostly highway miles. It has always started, and only a few repairs. Just did the major belt, thermostat and water pump work. This car is terrific to drive on the highway (fast and smooth), has great road feel and responsive steering, and the interior still looks modern. I recently found a plug to insert into the vacant cd changer in the trunk so that I can play ipods and iphones through the stereo. I have never had to recharge the AC. I think VW has dumbed down the tech in the new, non-CC Passats. But this vintage was one of a kind and an all-around amazingly well engineered driver's car."

engine light stays on

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "great runner for city driving"

Cons: "needs new heater and front defroster does not work"

"The engine lights stays on and the heater is not working or front defroster, needs a set of tie rods."

Solid, comfortable, well loaded car.

By on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pros: "Good handling, comfortable, usable space, power."

Cons: "Cup holder is bad, maintenance can be difficult."

"Bought used and with lots of miles on it, but the car is still fantastic 14 years after it was built. The V6 engine is the same one as in the Audi A4 and A6, and has easily withstood time. With the v6, there is enough power for any situation. Steering is very responsive and feels direct and mechanical. The car's design aged very well, and the interior is still appealing. The ride and seats are comfortable, and driving it is both easy and satisfying. Using it for long (8+ hour) trips is no problem."

This has been a reliable and fun car to own.

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive"

Cons: "No cup holders, leather seats showing some wear"

"I love my 1999 Passat. I hate to part with it, but because I am retired, my husband and I are downsizing to one car. I have owned this car for 14 years, and it has always been a reliable and fun car to drive. Because it is 15 years old, the car's clear coat has some minor defects. I have always babied the car to avoid dings and scratches, but recently go some scratches on the lower front bumper. Overall, no major dings or scratches."

I loved this car. Great to drive.

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive"

Cons: "on the expensive side to maintain"

"I have a 1999 Passat V-6. One of the other reviews mentions that the car is on the expensive side to maintain. True. But, I did what needed to be done and the car never let me down. It was a workingman's A-6 - same engine, drivetrain, transmission, suspension. I've bought a new car and it is time to let the Passat go. The new one isn't nearly as much fun to drive."

One of my all time favorite cars!

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Really good utility and great visibility."

Cons: "Air conditioning was not as robust as it could be."

"It hooked me on "german engineering." Really nice handling, good quality inside and out, features that I still don't see on many cars (like opening the driver's door with my key and the drivers seat and side windows automatically adjust to my saved position - for me and a second driver!). All Wheel Drive is nice not just on ice and snow, but feels like all the time (it may affect mileage a tiny bit). Quiet and still going. When it finally "quits" this one deserves a decent burial at the side of the road…."

Great car!

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "great power, great mpg, still looks stylish"

Cons: "only a cassette deck"

"I love this car. It has so much energy (likely because I have the turbo engine and a manual transmission) and gets amazing gas mileage (got 32 mpg for an 1800 mile trip and generally get 29 in the city). Plus, it does not look dated even though it is now over a decade old. One of my favorite parts is the computer that tells you the stats on your driving. I read somewhere, after getting it, that I got a good one because it was one of the ones actually made in Germany."