2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER,BUT LOVE THE CAR

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "DRIVES GREAT, VERY SEXY VEHICLE, AND ALWAYS STYLE"

Cons: "JUST NEEDS LEATHER AND CD PLAYER"

"I'M NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER I AM THE 2ND OWNER OF IT AND I LOVE THE CAR.. I HAD TO GET SOME WORK DONE ON IT CONSIDERING THE ORIGINAL OWNER DIDN'T TAKE THE BEST CARE OF IT. VOLKSWAGEN IS SAID TO BE GREAT LONG LASTING VEHICLES AND YES I WOULD AGREE. I HAVE BEEN AND STILL AM PLEASED WITH MY VEHICLE.I WANT TO TRADE IN THE VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN SAME MODEL, JUST A NEWER YEAR.THIS PARTICULAR MODEL I HAVE IS AN ALL TIME U.S.MOST POPULAR MODEL.I LOVE THE COLOR,DRIVE AND MOST OF ALL I LOOK GOOD IN MY CAR... SO TO UPGRADE FOR A NEWER MODEL WOULD BE EVEN BETTER. I THINK FROM THIS HERE ON OUT I CAN ACTUALLY CONSIDER MYSELF A VOLKSWAGEN OWNER FOREVER. CAUSE THAT'S HOW HAPPY I HAVE BEEN WITH MY GOLDEN LADY.. CAN'T SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE HER FOR THE WORLD, BUT I CAN SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE VOLKSWAGEN IN FOR NO OTHER VEHICLE... I WILL BE FOREVER A VOLKSWAGEN DRIVER."

1999 Passat wagon, owned for many years

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "still looks sporty (in red!)"

Cons: "back bumper paint is fading"

"Not too big, not too small. Solid comfortable ride, good mileage, excellent sound insulation. Interior heats (or cools) well and quickly as needed. It's too bad that the Passat wagon is no longer available in the U.S. (as of 2011, I think) I plan to replace my 1999 with a younger Passat wagon before they all disappear."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"